Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Just watched my first blu-ray movie-not impressed

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

First of all-I have a 32 in. Sanyo HD tv. Watched The Thing last night. Pretty familiar with movie since I own it on laserdisc and dvd. Is it better than the laserdisc--yes. How about dvd? Slightly better. There isn't alot of grain in the movie to begin with so trying to find differences might be difficult. The dts soundtrack sounded like a louder version of the dvd dolby digital . Next movie will be Goldfinger. I'm glad I didn't go bonkers and buy every blu-ray in sight since the first movie was disappointing. Hopefully the next movie(s) will be a big improvement. Bottom line. If a movie has alittle grain in it and the blu-ray doesn't-is it worth the upgrade---no. Plus with The Thing-you couldn't watch the documentary unless you watched it as you watched the movie. No -theatrical trailer. Even the laserdisc had one.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 01-05-10 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 10:34 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Just watched my first blu-ray movie-not impressed

Not touching this one, folks.
Old 01-05-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
First of all-I have a 32 in. Sanyo HD tv.
If you're sitting a healthy distance away from such a small display, the differences between pretty much any format will quickly fade away. It might also be worth verifying that your player is outputting in HD. (The Sony player I bought my father for Christmas was 480p out of the box.)
Old 01-05-10, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, not impressed with Blu-ray either. Some people tell me I need to buy a new TV to really experience it. So, buy a new TV when there is nothing wrong with the one I have, buy a Blu-ray player, and Blu-ray's themselves(which seem to cost a little more than DVDs from everything I have seen in stores)?. Yeah, no thanks. No need to upgrade to something I don't need and waste money I don't have much of on something that isn't worth it. Now, if they make something that actually transports you into the Phoebe Cates/Fast Times/Pool Scene, then maybe an upgrade will be necessary.
Old 01-05-10, 10:49 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Barrybgb
Yeah, not impressed with Blu-ray either. Some people tell me I need to buy a new TV to really experience it. So, buy a new TV when there is nothing wrong with the one I have, buy a Blu-ray player, and Blu-ray's themselves(which seem to cost a little more than DVDs from everything I have seen in stores)?. Yeah, no thanks. No need to upgrade to something I don't need and waste money I don't have much of on something that isn't worth it. Now, if they make something that actually transports you into the Phoebe Cates/Fast Times/Pool Scene, then maybe an upgrade will be necessary.
So your not impressed but you don't have a HDTV or a Blu player? Gosh I wouldn't be impressed either. Please don't also tell me in your day you had to walk 20 miles in the snow to get to school....cause thats what this post sounds like.
Old 01-05-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have an old 1080i plasma from years ago and a BD player. BD blows away DVD in all aspects IMO even on my old equipment. I havent bought a DVD in a long time and probably never will. BD FTW!
Old 01-05-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would like to see a movie like Outland(non-stop grainy picture) come out on blu-ray. Then you could really tell the difference. Maybe The Thing was a bad choice for the first viewed movie. Paying more for a movie, then receiving less features isn't going to help sell the system. Unless they are planning a special edition with the photo gallery,then a special special edition with the trailer,then the special special remastered edition that has the documentary on it.
Old 01-05-10, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
If you're sitting a healthy distance away from such a small display, the differences between pretty much any format will quickly fade away. It might also be worth verifying that your player is outputting in HD. (The Sony player I bought my father for Christmas was 480p out of the box.)
I'm sitting about 10 feet away. I certainly can tell the difference between laserdisc and dvd but so far blu-ray only looks slightly better than dvd even though its suppose to be about 4 times better(picture quality). I am judging this on only one movie so my opinion could change.
Old 01-05-10, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Go rent Kung Fu Panda or Wall-E.
Old 01-05-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm sitting about 10 feet away. I certainly can tell the difference between laserdisc and dvd but so far blu-ray only looks slightly better than dvd even though its suppose to be about 4 times better(picture quality). I am judging this on only one movie so my opinion could change.
That's way too far for a 32" display if you intend to do critical viewing. Hell I have a 61" display and I'm 9 feet away based on the recommended optimal viewing distance.
Old 01-05-10, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all-I have a 32 in. Sanyo HD tv. Watched The Thing last night. Pretty familiar with movie since I own it on laserdisc and dvd. Is it better than the laserdisc--yes. How about dvd? Slightly better. There isn't alot of grain in the movie to begin with so trying to find differences might be difficult. The dts soundtrack sounded like a louder version of the dvd dolby digital . Next movie will be Goldfinger. I'm glad I didn't go bonkers and buy every blu-ray in sight since the first movie was disappointing. Hopefully the next movie(s) will be a big improvement. Bottom line. If a movie has alittle grain in it and the blu-ray doesn't-is it worth the upgrade---no. Plus with The Thing-you couldn't watch the documentary unless you watched it as you watched the movie. No -theatrical trailer. Even the laserdisc had one.
First of all, you have a small TV that is 1080i. Second, you picked a disc that is pretty much barebones. Like Gizmo said, pick Wall-E or almost any other Disney release and you'll see that they are packed with extras.

Are you fucking serious? If you don't want to spend the money of a good HDTV that is 1080p then that is your prerogative, but don't judge the quality of Blu-ray on your underperforming system. Is like criticizing a meal that is supposed to be cooked in the oven but you cook it in the microwave.
Old 01-05-10, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I started watching Blu-ray on my 720p projector and the difference was remarkable. I've since upgraded to a 1080p projector and we've recently got a 32" 1080p LG HDTV for the living room and the picture is still remarkable.

Another things is... half the experience is having lossless surround sound. That might necessitate a receiver upgrade but MAN it's like night and day once you have a good setup. I liken it to listening to 128kbs mp3s and then listening to the actual CD.

I say if you don't see a difference. Stick with DVD. It's cheaper! I tell all my friends with older TVs to do so.
Old 01-05-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're doing it wrong. 10' away from a 32"? Come on already, just get an ipod to watch movies. I sit 7-8 feet from my 51".

And they screwed The Thing on BR anyway, grab the HD DVD and you'll be happy about the upgrade.

Sorry, but if you have the right setup, and setup correctly, 75% of the HD-discs out there will blow away DVD, let alone LD. I watched Harry Potter & the Prisoner of Azkaban again last night (3rd viewing since I've owned it) and I am still bowled over by the stunning picture. A minimal amount of research will get you to the quality you're expecting.
Old 01-05-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RobLutter
Another things is... half the experience is having lossless surround sound. That might necessitate a receiver upgrade but MAN it's like night and day once you have a good setup.
^ this

I think a properly tweaked audio setup is invaluable to the enjoyment of a DVD, Blu-Ray or otherwise. I know when people see/hear something on my set (I have a 50" 720p Panny plasma) it is the sound that really seals the "wow" factor.

As for the OP, I think sitting 10 ft from a 32 in display is too far to perhaps notice the image quality improvements BD can provide (assuming your system is set to the correct settings).
Old 01-05-10, 12:32 PM

You have too many posts to be a troll, but you sound like one.

When something is too small to see, do you give up and say "that's something I'm never going to be able to see?" Or do you move closer so you can see it better?

BD has 4x the pixels. Therefore they are 4x smaller than the ones on a DVD. Can you see the individual pixels on your 32" TV from 10 feet away? No, you can't. So how can you possibly expect to see the difference between that and something a quarter that size?

You need to be more like 5 feet away if you're watching HD content, in order for your eyes to resolve the additional detail.
Old 01-05-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why bother spending time reading posts in the HD talk forum?
Old 01-05-10, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to see a movie like Outland(non-stop grainy picture) come out on blu-ray. Then you could really tell the difference. Maybe The Thing was a bad choice for the first viewed movie. Paying more for a movie, then receiving less features isn't going to help sell the system. Unless they are planning a special edition with the photo gallery,then a special special edition with the trailer,then the special special remastered edition that has the documentary on it.
You know...you're on a website about movies. They do review Blus. Find out about the BD you're getting first before you get it. Sometimes...Blus lack the features that the DVDs had. (another reason why I'm staying w/ my Predator Special Edition DVD on not upgrading it....till the BD goes cheap cheap). Don't JUST buy a BD of an old flick you love. Read up on it. Sometimes...shit goes bad ie Gladiator.
Old 01-05-10, 12:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I TRIED WATCH BLUEWAY MOVIE ON MY 13" B&W TV FROM 1982. IT LOOK SAME AS VCR. BLUEWAY IS RIPOFF, i say
Old 01-05-10, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"BLUEWAY"
Old 01-05-10, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Not touching this one, folks.
Agreed. Nothing to look at here folks, please move on to the next topic please.
Old 01-05-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's your problem, there will be minimal differences between Blu-ray and DVD quality on that size of tv.

I have 46" 1080p Sony Bravia in my family room and 60" 1080p Pioneer Kuro in my basement and the quality of Blu-ray is absolutely mind-blowing, even regular DVDs look great on them.

You need a minimum 40" to really see the difference and there is a HUGE difference between DVD and Blu-ray. Don't blame the quality of Blu-ray just because your crappy tv can't perform the way it should.

Get a better tv with decent surround...test out the discs...then come back here to give your opinion.
Old 01-05-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a 32" 720p Samsung and the difference from DVD to Blu-ray for most titles on that is astounding. I can only imagine how good things are going to look when I eventually get a larger television. And older movies, while incredibly clear-looking in HD, don't always look as good as a more recent film. Like some others said, check out WALL-E, check out Transformers 2, etc. The format definitely improves older films, but you will be blown away by most newer films.
Old 01-05-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Hell I have a 30" Tube HD TV and the difference between DVD and Blu is huge. That said, I'm not 10' away.

Difference is more noteable on my 720p projector heh.
Old 01-05-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fuck this thread. someone named "dvd-4-life" doesn't like blu-ray? hah.
Old 01-05-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually I face away from the TV, because the light from it hurts my eyes. I watch movies through an elaborate system of mirrors several miles from the actual set.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.