DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   My Dilemma: BD VS DVD (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/566956-my-dilemma-bd-vs-dvd.html)

zombeaner 12-24-09 07:48 AM

My Dilemma: BD VS DVD

My cheap region free DVD player in my bedroom died. Now I have to replace it. The bedroom has only a Sony Wega SD 27" set, while the den has a 46" Sharp Aquos. In the bedroom I've had the Roku box for Netflix streaming and I love it. I've been thinking about getting another for the den, but haven't yet. Right now I'm wondering if I should get the Best Buy Insignia NS-WBRDVD with wireless Netflix Streaming BD player for the bedroom even though I don't have an HD set there yet for $120, or another cheap DVD player ($40 ish) to fill the gap. My mind says BD, but my wallet is saying DVD. If I get the Insignia I can move the Roku to the den. ARGH!!!

RichC2 12-24-09 07:59 AM

Re: My Dilemma: BD VS DVD

Originally Posted by zombeaner (Post 9906608)
My cheap region free DVD player in my bedroom died. Now I have to replace it. The bedroom has only a Sony Wega SD 27" set, while the den has a 46" Sharp Aquos. In the bedroom I've had the Roku box for Netflix streaming and I love it. I've been thinking about getting another for the den, but haven't yet. Right now I'm wondering if I should get the Best Buy Insignia NS-WBRDVD with wireless Netflix Streaming BD player for the bedroom even though I don't have an HD set there yet for $120, or another cheap DVD player ($40 ish) to fill the gap. My mind says BD, but my wallet is saying DVD. If I get the Insignia I can move the Roku to the den. ARGH!!!

I'd go with the obvious Blu choice. Wireless Netflix Streaming + BD Support + DVD Player = futureproof for now.

SoSpacey 12-24-09 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2 (Post 9906623)
I'd go with the obvious Blu choice. Wireless Netflix Streaming + BD Support + DVD Player = futureproof for now.

this

naitram 12-24-09 09:22 AM

buy an HD player for the den, move in there. dilema solved

Gizmo 12-24-09 09:40 AM

Just grab the Insignia. It's a decent BD/DVD player and does Netflix.

LeeVing 12-24-09 10:30 AM

buy another cheap region free AND a new BD player

zombeaner 12-24-09 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by LeeVing (Post 9906794)
buy another cheap region free AND a new BD player

I may end up with this option in the long run, but for now I think the Insignia is the winner.

Do BD look any better than DVD on a non-HD set?

zombeaner 12-25-09 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by naitram (Post 9906706)
buy an HD player for the den, move in there. dilema solved

I have a BD player in the den. Tomorrow we'll be adding a Wii, and probably the Roku sometime this week.

GHackmann 12-25-09 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by zombeaner (Post 9907320)
Do BD look any better than DVD on a non-HD set?

Slightly. The compression artifacts on Blu-Ray tend to be a lot less noticeable than on DVD, since Blu-Ray has more space and uses better codecs.

zombeaner 12-27-09 09:21 PM

FYI: I picked up my Insignia NS-WBRDVD yesterday and set it up and within 10 minutes I was connected to the internet and had Netflix streaming like a charm. What a great deal for $120!

Matthew Chmiel 12-28-09 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by zombeaner (Post 9910902)
FYI: I picked up my Insignia NS-WBRDVD yesterday and set it up and within 10 minutes I was connected to the internet and had Netflix streaming like a charm. What a great deal for $120!

Picked up the same player for my girlfriend's house over the past week, simply for the fact that it was such a cheap Blu-ray player and that it did Netflix over WiFi (which is something she was originally looking for).

[Honestly, it's more of a second BD player for me as I spend half my time at her house and I can't stand her piece of shit free DVD player hooked up to her HDTV.]

Second best steal? HDMI cable for $2.96 (after shipping) from Amazon.