Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Darth Maher
$50... Is that about normal for a Shout Double Feature? Seems a bit high.
$35 now on Amazon but yep, still way too high. You're basically paying $25 just for Bogus Journey since Excellent Adventure has already been available for $10 or less for a while with the MGM label.
Old 06-27-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Official details on the new Death Wish II special edition

Independent U.S. distributors Shout Factory have detailed their upcoming Blu-ray release of director Michael Winner's film Death Wish II (1982), starring Charles Bronson, Jill Ireland, Vincent Gardenia, J.D. Cannon, and Anthony Franciosa. The release will be available for purchase on July 26.

Synopsis: Paul Kersey is no victim: He fights back – with a vengeance! Legendary tough guy Charles Bronson resumes his trademark role as the hard-as-nails urban avenger in Death Wish II.

With the murder of his wife and the revenge against her killers now behind him, Kersey begins a new life in Los Angeles. But tragedy is never far from his door, and when a group of local hoods viciously assault his daughter, they unleash a wrath unlike anything the city has ever seen. Kersey has the face of each of them branded in his memory, and he will not rest until he tracks every one of them down... and puts them all in the ground! This hard-hitting, action-packed sequel also stars Jill Ireland (Breakheart Pass), Laurence Fishburne (The Matrix) and Vincent Gardenia reprises his role as Detective Frank Ochoa. The film also features a rocking score by Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin.

Special Features:
Both The Theatrical Cut And The Unrated Cut Of The Film
NEW Audio Commentary With Author Paul Talbot (Bronson's Loose!: The Making Of The Death Wish Films)
Theatrical Trailer
Old 06-27-16, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ Just got my copy of that last week. Can't wait to watch the unrated cut, and for once I might actually listen to an entire commentary since Talbot is a Bronson expert.

It would be great if they did SEs for 3 & 4, but who knows. They didn't even do a PR push for this release. I only got lucky enough to snag a review copy because the PR ladies at Shout! like me.
Old 06-28-16, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I missed the sale on Species 2, so I passed on the Species double feature that was on sale. Hopefully, these same movies go on sale in October or if there is a July 4th sale maybe a site-wide discount will have me picking them up.
For anyone that missed specific discs, they are all available at the moment so you get another chance.
Old 06-28-16, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
For anyone that missed specific discs, they are all available at the moment so you get another chance.
Not seeing these at the sale prices previously offered. Not sure what you are seeing.
Old 06-29-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Not seeing these at the sale prices previously offered. Not sure what you are seeing.
Looks like it is over now. When I was on the sale page yesterday morning, all the sale titles were available to add to the cart, not just one from the first group and half of the second group.
Old 06-29-16, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Looks like it is over now. When I was on the sale page yesterday morning, all the sale titles were available to add to the cart, not just one from the first group and half of the second group.
If true, they really blew it by not sending out email notifications that the whole lot of titles was on sale. I would have picked up a few.

But as it stands, the titles were back to their usual ridiculous everyday prices a little over an hour after your post.
Old 06-29-16, 11:13 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Hot on the heels of the new documentary De Palma comes news that the breakthrough movie of its subject — legendary filmmaker Brian De Palma — will celebrate its 40th anniversary in grand style. EW can exclusively reveal that horror-oriented imprint Scream Factory is celebrating four decades of the director’s classic Stephen King adaptation Carrie with a 2-disc collector’s edition Blu-ray set.

Available Oct. 11, the set features a 4K scan of the film’s original negative and nearly three hours of bonus features, including a featurette which revisits the film’s original locations, and new interviews with writer Lawrence D. Cohen, editor Paul Hirsch, actors Piper Laurie, P.J. Soles, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, William Katt, Edie McClurg, casting director Harriet B. Helberg, and director of photography Mario Tosi.

More details can be found at the Shout! Factory website, where buyers can also benefit from a special offer or a deluxe special offer when preordering the set.

You can exclusively see the Carrie Blu-ray set’s cover artwork above and, below, slipcovers and posters available for those who purchase via the website.

Old 06-29-16, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Interested but those are some ugly covers.
Old 06-29-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Agreed. Same goes for both The Thing covers. What happenend to the person/group that was doing the better covers for them. These recent ones are terrible at a Mondo level.

But hey, since they are Scream we at least get the original artwork on the flipside of the cover insert.
Old 06-29-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I like the one on the left.
Old 06-29-16, 01:16 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i like the left better, the graphic art sort of sketch. the other is putrid.
Old 06-29-16, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 896 Likes on 721 Posts

Another release of CARRIE, a film that's been done to death?? Hopefully the transfer and encode will be stellar, but all the same: Give us something we've been craving for years like THE HITCHER (1986) or THE DAY AFTER or the IT'S ALIVE trilogy!

Why contine to expend so much time and energy on these continual re-releases? Noted, the films are *good*, but we need more fresh meat out in 1080p, not recycled carcasses.
Old 06-29-16, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Another release of CARRIE, a film that's been done to death?? Hopefully the transfer and encode will be stellar, but all the same: Give us something we've been craving for years like THE HITCHER (1986) or THE DAY AFTER or the IT'S ALIVE trilogy!

Why contine to expend so much time and energy on these continual re-releases? Noted, the films are *good*, but we need more fresh meat out in 1080p, not recycled carcasses.
All other things equal, I'd always want to see something new to the format, but Carrie really is in need of proper treatment. The current disc is an MPEG-2 encode of a less-than-stellar master. This one's gonna be mastered in 4K and everything!

Unfortunately, Warner/HBO is the stumbling block with The Hitcher and the It's Alive! trilogy since they're not so much for licensing out titles. Dunno about The Day After. Supposedly there was a time when MGM wanted to release it on Blu-ray themselves, but obviously those days are gone. Kino said they'd be interested if the price were right. I guess that means the door is open to Scream Factory as well.
Old 06-29-16, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I thought it was SF announcing a Christine / Carrie Combo Pack.

Guess not.
Old 06-29-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Nice. I like the left side cover art.
Old 06-29-16, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i'm curious if they'll be able to "fix" the look of the opening sequence of Carrie. the special edition dvd that i have has a knarish blue or purple line that is on for several seconds. That and it looks VERY soft.
Old 06-29-16, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Wonder if they'll include an open-matte version on disc two to replicate the old VHS versions that inadvertantly revealed Sissy Spacek's beaver during the shower scene.
Old 06-30-16, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Guess I'm in the minority but I like the slip on the right a hell of a lot more. Which is a shame because I'm not buying the exclusive set.
Old 06-30-16, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Guess I'm in the minority but I like the slip on the right a hell of a lot more. Which is a shame because I'm not buying the exclusive set.
Yeah, I think I prefer the exclusive art to the regular art, but I need to see a better picture of it to be sure.

Wonder if someone will make custom covers based on the exclusive art for ROTLD, The Thing, and this one.
Old 06-30-16, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that the one on the right is the better of the two but I still think both are pretty ugly. For a long time I really liked some of the new Scream Factory covers but lately I haven't been liking the designs. I also don't really get the whole thing with offering two slip covers as a bonus lately. I mean because really who's going to use both? I could see a special slip cover as an exclusive or the exclusive posters but I guess I'm not enough of a slip cover fan that I'd ever go out of my way to purchase a Blu-ray with an exclusive one.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-30-16 at 04:33 AM.
Old 06-30-16, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Wonder if they'll include an open-matte version on disc two to replicate the old VHS versions that inadvertantly revealed Sissy Spacek's beaver during the shower scene.
No wonder they mocked her, if Carrie was bringing critters into the school gym.

Anyway... I remember getting the Criterion laserdisc of "Carrie" a thousand years ago at a store in the mall, and being disappointed that it was full frame and not letterboxed (which is one reason you bought Criterion titles). I didn't quite understand the "open matte" thing back then.

The extras, as I recall, were a bit underwhelming, too. Glad to see it getting a proper "Special Edition" and I hope it doesn't disappoint. I guess (at this point) DePalma and Spacek are not involved.
Old 06-30-16, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seems like Scream is fully aware of the secondary market for their slipcovers and are all but facilitating the process. Keep the version you like better, sell off the other.
Old 06-30-16, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah but it's not like they benefit from aftermarket sales. It seems it'd make more sense to offer a deluxe slip cover as an exclusive. Make one that folds open to reveal more artwork or something.
Old 06-30-16, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah but it's not like they benefit from aftermarket sales. It seems it'd make more sense to offer a deluxe slip cover as an exclusive. Make one that folds open to reveal more artwork or something.
The benefit is that they get you to spend $40 on a release that will be $22 or less on the release date. They're making a ton on these extra goodies.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.