Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

The Director's Cut in HD!!! I hope it's the complete version found on the MGM R3 DVD so I can finally retire my copy. I'm so glad I pre-ordered this for $19.99 at Best Buy. 4 versions of the movie was more than I expected but hopefully Shout doesn't screw this up with excess DNR. Other than that, Groovy!
Old 09-09-15, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I suspect that's more on Universal than Scream Factory.
Yeah that's who I meant. I wasn't trying to suggest that it was Scream's fault. It looks like Scream listened to the fans. I just hope the final product is not filled with problems.
Old 09-09-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Scream Factory has generally stepped up their game of late on Blu-ray. I think all the new competition from other horror labels like Arrow Video has forced them to improve their releases.
Old 09-09-15, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FROM SCREAM FACTORY

Q: Why is the International version a 4K transfer and not the Director's Cut?
A: Our original intention was to do a new 4K scan on the director's cut, so we started with
elements that were available in the MGM vault. Unfortunately, we could not find all of the
additional footage (film and audio) for the 96 minute Director's Cut.
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=17546

So it sucks they couldn't locate better materials from MGM of the Director's Cut for a 4k transfer. However, The Director's Cut will be from the R3 DVD and in HD, making it the best version released anywhere in the world. No more bad VHS dubs ala Anchor Bay's "Boomstick Edition" DVD

Last edited by Ringmaster; 09-10-15 at 06:51 AM.
Old 09-10-15, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

I know everyone is talking about Army Of Darkness right now but I have to say that I watched Shout's copy of Breakin' last night and that movie looked fantastic. It really was mind blowing how good it looked.
Old 09-10-15, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
The Director's Cut in HD!!! I hope it's the complete version found on the MGM R3 DVD so I can finally retire my copy. I'm so glad I pre-ordered this for $19.99 at Best Buy. 4 versions of the movie was more than I expected but hopefully Shout doesn't screw this up with excess DNR. Other than that, Groovy!
How do you plan on "retiring" your R3 DVD? I have one I ordered from yesasia back in the day and I'm not really sure what to do with it. I never even ended up watching it
Old 09-10-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
How do you plan on "retiring" your R3 DVD? I have one I ordered from yesasia back in the day and I'm not really sure what to do with it. I never even ended up watching it
I'll throw it on eBay and if it doesn't work out, I have a friend I can give it to.
Old 09-10-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Am I the only one bummed that the INTL cut is getting the mull new scan treatment rather than the DC?

Unless it comes out totally FUBAR I will be getting this. One of my favorite movies ever. B ut I really wish the DC getting the best treatment.
Old 09-10-15, 03:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Am I the only one bummed that the INTL cut is getting the mull new scan treatment rather than the DC?
I assume they are gonna be using the same master for the DC as the French/German releases from a couple of years ago. And those looked GREAT.
Old 09-10-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
I assume they are gonna be using the same master for the DC as the French/German releases from a couple of years ago. And those looked GREAT.
I wasn't aware of those. Hopefully they can get them.
Old 09-11-15, 10:08 AM
Banned

Just a head's up before they disappear again. It looks like Best Buy has "The Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1" for $79.99 in stock—Vol 2 is $59.99. This is likely the last chance to get this set at a reasonable price. I'm thinking Shout! unloaded the inventory after losing the rights. Good luck.
Old 09-11-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AaronSch
Just a head's up before they disappear again. It looks like Best Buy has "The Vincent Price Collection Vol. 1" for $79.99 in stock—Vol 2 is $59.99. This is likely the last chance to get this set at a reasonable price. I'm thinking Shout! unloaded the inventory after losing the rights. Good luck.
It's a great set. I hope Best Buy comes through for you.
Old 09-11-15, 09:12 PM
Banned

It's a great set. I hope Best Buy comes through for you.
Nope. But the morons finally removed the item from their site. Bummer. But then again, I've gotten so many terrific deals and saved so much dough on other BDs that I may do the insane thing and pick it up on Ebay.
Old 10-03-15, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

THE CAR and BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE are up for pre-order
Old 10-20-15, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I just saw on The Digital Bits there's supposedly a video error on the Army of Darkness disc. Around the 27 minute mark, a few frames of video are missing, which causes a brief audio sync issue. According to the Bits article, Shout is aware of this and will be offering an exchange program.

http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my...ts/102015_1530

Is it me or is this type of stuff happening more often? Back in the DVD days, it seemed like a rare occurrence for a movie to be released with an audio or video problem. Now, it's not that uncommon to read about a BD being released that has something wrong with it.
Old 10-20-15, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The smaller labels have even less quality control than the major studios, which hasn't been that great for several years.
Old 10-21-15, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by big e
I just saw on The Digital Bits there's supposedly a video error on the Army of Darkness disc. Around the 27 minute mark, a few frames of video are missing, which causes a brief audio sync issue. According to the Bits article, Shout is aware of this and will be offering an exchange program.

Is it me or is this type of stuff happening more often? Back in the DVD days, it seemed like a rare occurrence for a movie to be released with an audio or video problem. Now, it's not that uncommon to read about a BD being released that has something wrong with it.

No, I seem to recall it more often in the past. Superman's 2 channel mix, some issues with Tom & Jerry (I don't think I ever sent mine in...)

It seems we should be seeing it less these days, especially with boutique labels, but if Shout was using the 4K master to make a new version of the other cut, that's maybe how it got missed.
Old 10-21-15, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by big e

Well that sucks. I just ordered this on Amazon since it dropped to $17.99 today.

Out of curiosity, if you get this AOD release, does that mean the old Screwhead edition is no longer needed?
Old 10-21-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If they are fixing it then I think it's a non-issue. The exchange with for the Halloween 4 disc was handled very well.

Ordered a copy from Amazon as well.
Old 10-27-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Grabbed AoD at lunch, Best Buy has it for 17.99 if you want to get it locally. I grabbed the last copy on the shelf, so not sure how much stock they have.

I guess the question now is if there's anything on the old Anchor Bay 2 disc LE worth keeping?
Old 10-27-15, 01:37 PM

Grabbed AoD at lunch, Best Buy has it for 17.99 if you want to get it locally. I grabbed the last copy on the shelf, so not sure how much stock they have.

Yep, same thing for me too. Looking forward into digging into this soon.
I know there is a slight glitch on the Theatrical Cut, but the director's cut is my preferred cut to watch; I don't know if I will even bother getting a replacement disc when it's available. Maybe I will, I dunno.
Old 10-27-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milo bloom
the question now is if there's anything on the old Anchor Bay 2 disc LE worth keeping?
Other than sentimental attachment (if you have any for it), there is no reason to keep that set.
Old 10-27-15, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than sentimental attachment (if you have any for it), there is no reason to keep that set.
I was actually disappointed in it when I got it:

Set your wayback machine to 1999, all the forums started getting word that Anchor Bay was going to do something special on DVD and I was intrigued by the discussion of the movie, never having seen it. As luck would have it, there was a SciFi channel screening of it coming up (this was their pre-wrasslin' days) so the wife and I made sure to catch it. We both enjoyed it and I gladly ordered the 2 disc LE DVD.

Once it arrived I was extremely let down to learn that neither of the cuts on the DVDs were anything close to the TV cut that we had enjoyed.
I only ended up watching the DVDs a couple times over the years, mostly to hear the commentaries.

You can imagine my delight to hear that this new edition would contain multiple cuts of the film, including the TV cut (albeit in 4x3 standard definition). While it won't be Bluray quality, I am extremely pleased to finally own the film I first fell in love with (and the other editions are a nice bonus ).
Old 10-28-15, 07:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Serpent and the Rainbow Collector's edition coming 01/26/16. I'll be picking that up.

Old 10-28-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

yes, yes, y'all!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.