Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Living Deadpan

Holy mother of harlots... They really ended up going all out on this one!

Bonus Features
-Audio Commentary With Director Philippe Mora
-Audio Commentary With Composer Steve Parsons And Editor Charles Bornstein
-Leading Man - An Interview With Actor Reb Brown
-Queen Of The Werewolves - An Interview With Actress Sybil Danning
-A Monkey Phase - Interviews With Special Make-Up Effects Artists Steve Johnson And Scott Wheeler
-Behind The Scenes Footage (In HD - From Philippe Mora's Archive)
-Alternate Opening And Alternate Ending (In HD – From Philippe Mora's Archive)
-Theatrical Trailer
-Still Gallery

https://www.shoutfactory.com/film/fi...-is-a-werewolf
Old 06-17-15, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I remember when Bordello came out and bombed. They had delayed it for quite a while and it may have had something to do with From Dusk Till Dawn coming out before them. The last act of BoB is reminiscent of FDTD.
I saw it at the theater, and was the only person there, haha. So, yeah, I definitely can remember it tanking too.
Old 06-17-15, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
people on blu-ray.com are losing their shit over Dog Soldiers because the director was involved and due to crappy elements, altered the transfer.
That's disappointing. I will have to read up on it. Is it an overreaction (though I know almost everything is over there no matter what) or is it justified?

Dog Soldiers was one of my most anticipated Shout releases.
Old 06-17-15, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

It looks pretty rough, Scream Factory seems to have gone overboard with the contrast boosting:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ess=#vergleich
Old 06-17-15, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I watched Dog Soldiers last week and thought it looked pretty bad. The contrast boost might not bother some who aren't familiar with the film. You sort of knew going in that this release wouldn't look fantastic because of the way it was filmed. The extras are the only reason to buy this release over the original.
Old 06-17-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,073 Likes on 650 Posts

Dammit. This was one of their releases I was really looking forward to. The sound is awful on the first release but no one seems to mention that.

I see a lot of bitching about Ginger Snaps as well. What was wrong with it? Same thing?
Old 06-17-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's a $10 off code with a $40 purchase if someone wants to use it, please help yourself.

7PA7IHPDLE
Old 06-17-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

When was the last time they released a blu with "good/great" picture quality? Man they seem to keep dropping the ball...
Old 06-17-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
When was the last time they released a blu with "good/great" picture quality? Man they seem to keep dropping the ball...
Scarecrows had pretty good picture quality from them. The MGM transfer looked relatively recent. Scream Factory is content licensing the cheapest available HD master for one of their releases.
Old 06-17-15, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Does anyone have Sleepaway Camp II & III? Are those even worth the 'upgrade'? Been hearing the transfers are just alright for those.
Old 06-17-15, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

People have been complaining about Dog Soldiers' transfer. Neil responded and SF posted it on their FB page:

It seems myself and Scream Factory are experiencing some major flack regarding the Dog Soldiers blu-ray release. So I figure I should fill in a bit of background here. First of all, I wholeheartedly support the Scream Factory release. The previous blu-ray (not available in the UK) was made without any involvement from me, and I remember when it came out the general consensus was that the picture quality was not great. All credit to Scream Factory for wanting to involve the film-maker in this process as much as possible.

When they first announced this blu-ray release last year, the original plan was to work with me to create a whole bunch of original extras based on new interviews with all the key cast and crew, but that the movie itself would essentially be the same version as last time. I asked them to delay the release because I felt that we could do better for the fans and try and track down some original film elements to make a fresh HD transfer. Since the movie never received a theatrical release in the US (although I believe it screened at The Egyptian for a week) I knew we’d have to turn to the UK to find the best possible elements available. What I didn’t know was that after an exhaustive search I’d discover the original negative was nowhere to be found. Neither the UK producer, distributor or film processing lab has any idea where the negative is. Without it we simply could not achieve the kind of high quality HD transfer I would have wished to deliver. Instead we managed to get hold of 2 original cinema prints, and despite being 13 years old and having a few scratches here and there, they represent the most accurate version of the original theatrical release that we could find.

However, as close as they are, they are just cinema prints, and in terms of colour timing for the new blu-ray we were limited to the parameters of the print itself. Which means, in basic terms, if the contrast is high on the print and the blacks are crushed (as indeed they are) then there is no more visual information to be gained from them. You can’t brighten up the image and see what’s hidden in the darkness like you can when you’re working from the negative or from digital. All that will happen is that the black will turn to grey and just give the movie a washed out flat look.

Another issue seems to be that one scene in particular now seems to be a daytime scene when it used to be a nighttime scene. Well, this is wrong on both counts. It’s meant to be a dusk scene, and since it features shots of the sunset then it’s graded accordingly - with a warm sunset glow that then gets cooler and darker as it fades into night. Again, this is all taken directly from the print. It was never intended to have such an extreme dark blue tint over it. We had major continuity issues filming this sequence because the weather kept changing from dull grey and rainy to bright sunlight. This is far from ideal for pulling off convincing day-for-night photography.

Like it or not, when the movie was originally released in the UK in 2002, the blacks were crushed, the contrast was high, the colours were rich and the image was grainy as ****, because let’s not forget, this movie was shot on 16mm and blown up to 35mm. So under no circumstances was a blu-ray of this movie ever going to look as smooth and pristine as a movie shot on 35mm or any of the hi-res digital formats we use today. In fact, transferring it to HD actually highlights the grain just as it does any other detail, so this version inherently looks more grainy than before. It’s unavoidable unless you have the money to do a full restoration and clean-up, but again, you need the negative for that.

So, is this version of Dog Soldiers the best it could ever be? No. Of course not. If we had the negative and a shit-load of cash we could have done a lot better. Is it the best it could be under the circumstances? Yes. Will it appeal to everybody? No. But that's movies for you!

At the end of the day everybody involved, myself included, put in a lot of work to give the fans a blu-ray worth forking out their hard-earned cash for. And nobody involved, myself included, got paid anything for doing it. There are no royalties, ancillaries or anything else. This is not an attempt to exploit the fans. It was, on my part, an attempt to give the fans something new and unique, and not simply a repackaged version of what’s already out there.

NEIL MARSHAL
Old 06-17-15, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Super 16 .

Shame about what happened, but it sounds like without the negative, there just isn't much they can do. I guess we can hope it'll surface at some point, but it's probably pretty doubtful. You probably could do a more extensive restoration of a release print (and I'm pretty surprised at the detail they can squeeze out of 16mm in HD), but it'd probably be a very expensive restoration process for such a small niche title, and that probably wouldn't be financially viable for Shout.
Old 06-18-15, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Super 16 .

Shame about what happened, but it sounds like without the negative, there just isn't much they can do. I guess we can hope it'll surface at some point, but it's probably pretty doubtful. You probably could do a more extensive restoration of a release print (and I'm pretty surprised at the detail they can squeeze out of 16mm in HD), but it'd probably be a very expensive restoration process for such a small niche title, and that probably wouldn't be financially viable for Shout.

You read the blu-ray.com thread on it. It's fucking hysterical how some of these mouth breathers behave. They basically burned SF and Marshal in effigy all day today and once he released that statement some changed their minds and decided that they would buy the BD after all. I was like whaaaaaaat?!?!?!
Old 06-18-15, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

To be fair, Scream has sullied their own reputation by producing mediocre quality discs. They're never going to get the benefit of the doubt like a Criterion or Arrow. The first instinct is that Scream is to blame for everything. It may be a little unfair, like in the case of the Halloween set, but that's the way things are going to be. Delaying the Dog Soldiers release probably didn't help either. Expectations are higher when you announce that you're locating better elements.

I actually feel better about the purchase thanks to that response from Marshall. I don't like the boosted contrast but it relieves me to know that they put in the best effort possible. The biggest shock for me is that nobody got paid for participating in this release. I thought the extras were really well done and in-depth. They're certainly the best reason to buy the release.
Old 06-18-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

NEIL MARSHAL
Strange that Neil Marshall would spell his own name wrong on that Facebook post.
Old 06-18-15, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Strange that Neil Marshall would spell his own name wrong on that Facebook post.
So what are you trying to say?
Old 06-18-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Yeah I doubt that Scream Factory would just make that up and the director wouldn't call them on it.
Old 06-18-15, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

So what are you trying to say?
Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah I doubt that Scream Factory would just make that up and the director wouldn't call them on it.
I just thought that was quite strange. So I looked it up on Scream Factory's Facebook page, and the statement (it's buried in the comments to the June 17th post about the disc) ends with his name spelled correctly. I assume that Why So Blu? simply missed the last character when he was copying the text.

Mystery solved.
Old 06-20-15, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first time I ever saw Dog Soldiers was on the Sci-Fi channel back when it was spelled correctly. It was marketed as a "Sci-Fi Original Movie." I remember being skeptical, because unlike most "Sci-Fi Original Movies," it didn't suck. It was actually quite good. I don't much remember what it looked like, but as it was probably panned-and-scanned, edited for television, and on a small CRT set, it probably didn't look very good.
Old 06-22-15, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As somebody that was interested in picking up Dog Soldiers given the great reviews of the movie, now I'm left wondering now what? Pick up the old DVD or go with this flawed BD because of the extras? Seems unlikely there will ever be a better BD release, even in bare bones form.
Old 06-22-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I don't consider the Scream Factory version of Dog Soldiers to be flawed if the director approved it.
Old 06-22-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I don't consider the Scream Factory version of Dog Soldiers to be flawed if the director approved it.
William Friedkin - 1st French Connection BD - Flawed?

What I don't get, given the reviews I have read, is why they (including Marshall if he indeed approve it ahead of time) boosted the contrast so much.
Old 06-22-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well he did say that they weren't able to find the original film elements. I think in some cases exceptions have to be made and the director/studio in charge of the release are able to do what they see fitting.
Old 06-22-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well he did say that they weren't able to find the original film elements.
Seems that the problems people have with this release go far beyond the understanding that they didn't have the original negatives to work with
Old 06-22-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
Seems that the problems people have with this release go far beyond the understanding that they didn't have the original negatives to work with
Isn't that the big thing people have been upset over? I guess I'm not sure what I'm missing but that seems to be the big thing. The director addressed the contrast issues as being related to not having the original film elements.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.