Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Old 05-04-14, 05:26 PM

Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

In for Pumpkinhead for sure!
Old 05-04-14, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it was made in the 80's or 90's, it has a lot better shot at getting their attention than if it was a 'better' film released in the 60's or 70's.
Not making a comment specifically at D,D- just the overall observation that the demographic Scream wants to service is a 25-40 yr old male- someone whose frame of reference is built on VHS viewed material from the 80s-thru the 90's.

I'm pretty sure Dellamorte was brought up in the past. Can't remember what they said- though it's probably meaningless since they've released other titles whose requests were nixed in the past. Going to their facebook page and putting in another request for it wouldn't hurt I suppose.
Old 05-06-14, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't want to start a new thread since we're still talking about Werner Herzog and Nosferatu but for those in the L.A. area Cinefamily will be presenting a new 35 mm version of the GERMAN language version of Nosferatu, with Herzog in person for the opening night festivities.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/herz...w-restoration/

I just fucking renewed my membership!
Old 05-06-14, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fuck me, that sounds awesome. I seriously wish there was a real transporter so that I could go to all of these things.
Old 05-06-14, 01:31 AM

Can't wait for Pumpkinhead!

As for the sequels, part 2 is fairly lame. But 3 and 4 are Sharknado bad.

I just hope they fix one shot toward the end of the film:

When Pumpkinhead picks up a kid by the leg, you can clearly see the cable attached to the kid's leg. Even worse, you can see that Pumpkinhead is wearing sneakers!
Old 05-06-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread since we're still talking about Werner Herzog and Nosferatu but for those in the L.A. area Cinefamily will be presenting a new 35 mm version of the GERMAN language version of Nosferatu, with Herzog in person for the opening night festivities.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/herz...w-restoration/

I just fucking renewed my membership!
Thanks Blu! I'm going to one of these screenings now. I've never seen Nosferatu but always wanted to. What a better way to check it out.
Old 05-06-14, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the first show is sold out - the one with Herzog in person.
Old 05-06-14, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and this site has just reviewed the Blu-ray of Nosferatu on Blu-ray:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/63300...u-the-vampyre/
Old 05-06-14, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Oh, and this site has just reviewed the Blu-ray of Nosferatu on Blu-ray:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/63300...u-the-vampyre/
Sweet. This is my #1 anticipated Blu-ray.
Old 05-06-14, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Sweet. This is my #1 anticipated Blu-ray.
mine too. But if this is actually the case with Shouts release, I'm going to be fucking livid.
Unfortunately, there's also some obvious noise reduction evident on both transfers that can occasionally mar fine detail. This doesn't affect the entire duration of the movie and sometimes when the movie is in motion you might not even realize it, but there are certainly spots where it stands out. Faces and skin look a bit waxy and are too smooth and there are spots where even buildings and trees lose the texture they might have otherwise shown had less noise reduction been employed here.
We waited years to titles like The Howling and Cat People on RA Bd, long after they'd been made availbe in other regions or formats, and in both cases all Shout did was use previous off the shelf masters that werevastly inferior. DvdBeaver just posted it's review of the new BFI Release of this and it's beautiful, whereas the older German release was widely seen as disappointingly scrubbed with DNR.
If that's the case, Shout/Scream is finally going on my shit list, and I'll finally start looking into getting a region free player and importing.
Old 05-06-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
mine too. But if this is actually the case with Shouts release, I'm going to be fucking livid.

We waited years to titles like The Howling and Cat People on RA Bd, and in both cases all Shout did was use previous off the shelf masters that werevastly inferior. DvdBeaver just posted it's review of the new BFI Release of this and it's beautiful, whereas the older German release was widely seen as disappointingly scrubbed with DNR.
If that's the case, Shout/Scream is finally going on my shit list, and I'll finally start looking into getting a region free player and importing.

I'm keeping my pre-order for now. Even at a 3 out of 5 rating - that's still very good. I'll be checking out other sites' reviews as well.
Old 05-06-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is the German release From Studio-Canal.
Does anyone here remember when Shout originally nixed the idea of releasing The Howling (before they started the Scream sub lable) because all that was available was, in their estimation, an inferior master? That master was the Studio-Canal master...and it's the same one they eventually did use on the Scream release. And projected large, it IS noticeably weak. Since they already have a history of using Studio-canal sourced masters, I would say it's more likely than not that is the source of their Nosferatu.

I hope i'm wrong, but I'll reading up on region free players tonight and probably picking one up by the end of the week.
Old 05-06-14, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Since they already have a history of using Studio-canal sourced masters, I would say it's more likely than not that is the source of their Nosferatu.
I thought all of these films were owned by and being remastered under the supervision of Herzog's company? I don't think Studio Canal has anything to do with this.
Old 05-06-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I thought all of these films were owned by and being remastered under the supervision of Herzog's company? I don't think Studio Canal has anything to do with this.
If it walks like a duck...
Ian Jane, who did the DVDTalk review has screen caps of the Shout disc and compares them with the BFI caps from Beaver on his own site here

It's clearly visible on my monitor that the Shout is inferior and hews closer to the German S-C release than the new BFI.

This was easily one of the most anticipated titles for me for the entire year and while it's better than the DVD I fortunately sold off last year, it's still going to be a second rate effort.

And trying to find a good recommended region free player looks to be a real PITA. May just go with a cheap disposable one for the time being. HMDI quirks and firmware updates make me leery of investing too much in a better, more expensive hacked player.
Old 05-06-14, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmmmm. Yeah, I'm gonna wait until there's a direct comparison.
Old 05-13-14, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

cancelled my NOSFERATU pre-order. dvdbeaver review is up with comparisons...looks like SHIT.

they better not fuck up GINGER SNAPS.
Old 05-13-14, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
cancelled my NOSFERATU pre-order.
cancelled mine too yesterday.
And then ordered a region-free modded Oppo. My first "B" locked titles just shipped from Amazon.uk yesterday also.

I'm a bit surprised to read on other forums so many similar reactions and people now seriously looking to go region free because of this one title.
Hopefully when the dust settles, Shout dropping the ball with this may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise.
Old 05-13-14, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...re_blu-ray.htm
Old 05-13-14, 05:38 PM

I just watched the trailer for EvilSpeak and it looks pretty interesting. Is it just as weird and tripppy as the trailer suggests? I'm all about weird vector display graphics.
Old 05-14-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty excited for Sleepaway Camp as the reviews for the Blu-ray are all sounding pretty great so far. Hopefully eventually Scream will release the sequels too.
Old 05-14-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
I just watched the trailer for EvilSpeak and it looks pretty interesting. Is it just as weird and tripppy as the trailer suggests? I'm all about weird vector display graphics.
It's like "Carrie" for boys... but with a motherfucker of a finale. I reviewed it here if you want to know more.
Old 05-14-14, 03:58 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Pretty excited for Sleepaway Camp as the reviews for the Blu-ray are all sounding pretty great so far. Hopefully eventually Scream will release the sequels too.
preordered yesterday. can't wait.

DVDTalk Review...
Old 05-14-14, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a bit surprised to read on other forums so many similar reactions and people now seriously looking to go region free because of this one title.
Hopefully when the dust settles, Shout dropping the ball with this may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise.
The trouble seems to be with Shout's encoder software and / or encoding person, not necessarly with their source materials. They've dropped the ball before on other titles (like the new SLEEPAWAY CAMP and PSYCHO 3). They were given good sources, but ruined them with bad compression artefacts. I've almost given up hope on them. They refuse to even acknowledge the encoding problems, let alone try to MAN UP to solve them. As excited as I am about most of their releases, this problem puts a huge damper on my respect for them as a company.

Never thought I'd say, Twilight Time is looking to do overall better jobs on their releases. As it is now, I'll simply import from Arrow or BFI on principle. At a minimum, I'll be waiting for reviews and comments before taking the plunge on any future Shout! release.
Old 05-14-14, 04:19 PM

Sleepaway Camp seems to be getting good reviews, though... I don't know anything about Psycho 3 though.
Old 05-14-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
The trouble seems to be with Shout's encoder software and / or encoding person, not necessarly with their source materials. They've dropped the ball before on other titles (like the new SLEEPAWAY CAMP and PSYCHO 3). They were given good sources, but ruined them with bad compression artefacts. I've almost given up hope on them. They refuse to even acknowledge the encoding problems, let alone try to MAN UP to solve them. As excited as I am about most of their releases, this problem puts a huge damper on my respect for them as a company.

Never thought I'd say, Twilight Time is looking to do overall better jobs on their releases. As it is now, I'll simply import from Arrow or BFI on principle. At a minimum, I'll be waiting for reviews and comments before taking the plunge on any future Shout! release.
What? That's the first I've heard about quality issues with either of those titles. Both seemed to get pretty good reviews and I think Scream/Shout Factory generally does a good job with their titles.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.