Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Old 05-04-14, 05:26 PM
  #1426  
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 13
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

In for Pumpkinhead for sure!
Beastmangler is offline  
Old 05-04-14, 05:30 PM
  #1427  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,253
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

If it was made in the 80's or 90's, it has a lot better shot at getting their attention than if it was a 'better' film released in the 60's or 70's.
Not making a comment specifically at D,D- just the overall observation that the demographic Scream wants to service is a 25-40 yr old male- someone whose frame of reference is built on VHS viewed material from the 80s-thru the 90's.

I'm pretty sure Dellamorte was brought up in the past. Can't remember what they said- though it's probably meaningless since they've released other titles whose requests were nixed in the past. Going to their facebook page and putting in another request for it wouldn't hurt I suppose.
Paul_SD is online now  
Old 05-06-14, 12:33 AM
  #1428  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,774
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Didn't want to start a new thread since we're still talking about Werner Herzog and Nosferatu but for those in the L.A. area Cinefamily will be presenting a new 35 mm version of the GERMAN language version of Nosferatu, with Herzog in person for the opening night festivities.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/herz...w-restoration/

I just fucking renewed my membership!
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 12:52 AM
  #1429  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
hanshotfirst1138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Livonia MI
Posts: 9,678
Fuck me, that sounds awesome. I seriously wish there was a real transporter so that I could go to all of these things.
hanshotfirst1138 is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 01:31 AM
  #1430  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 590
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Can't wait for Pumpkinhead!

As for the sequels, part 2 is fairly lame. But 3 and 4 are Sharknado bad.

I just hope they fix one shot toward the end of the film:

When Pumpkinhead picks up a kid by the leg, you can clearly see the cable attached to the kid's leg. Even worse, you can see that Pumpkinhead is wearing sneakers!
RD1973 is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 08:47 AM
  #1431  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 1,651
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread since we're still talking about Werner Herzog and Nosferatu but for those in the L.A. area Cinefamily will be presenting a new 35 mm version of the GERMAN language version of Nosferatu, with Herzog in person for the opening night festivities.

http://www.cinefamily.org/films/herz...w-restoration/

I just fucking renewed my membership!
Thanks Blu! I'm going to one of these screenings now. I've never seen Nosferatu but always wanted to. What a better way to check it out.
Ringmaster is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 09:15 AM
  #1432  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,774
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Well, the first show is sold out - the one with Herzog in person.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 09:25 AM
  #1433  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,774
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Oh, and this site has just reviewed the Blu-ray of Nosferatu on Blu-ray:


http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/63300...u-the-vampyre/
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 01:16 PM
  #1434  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,320
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Oh, and this site has just reviewed the Blu-ray of Nosferatu on Blu-ray:


http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/63300...u-the-vampyre/
Sweet. This is my #1 anticipated Blu-ray.
Jory is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 02:12 PM
  #1435  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,253
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Jory View Post
Sweet. This is my #1 anticipated Blu-ray.
mine too. But if this is actually the case with Shouts release, I'm going to be fucking livid.
Unfortunately, there's also some obvious noise reduction evident on both transfers that can occasionally mar fine detail. This doesn't affect the entire duration of the movie and sometimes when the movie is in motion you might not even realize it, but there are certainly spots where it stands out. Faces and skin look a bit waxy and are too smooth and there are spots where even buildings and trees lose the texture they might have otherwise shown had less noise reduction been employed here.
We waited years to titles like The Howling and Cat People on RA Bd, long after they'd been made availbe in other regions or formats, and in both cases all Shout did was use previous off the shelf masters that werevastly inferior. DvdBeaver just posted it's review of the new BFI Release of this and it's beautiful, whereas the older German release was widely seen as disappointingly scrubbed with DNR.
If that's the case, Shout/Scream is finally going on my shit list, and I'll finally start looking into getting a region free player and importing.
Paul_SD is online now  
Old 05-06-14, 02:15 PM
  #1436  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,774
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
mine too. But if this is actually the case with Shouts release, I'm going to be fucking livid.


We waited years to titles like The Howling and Cat People on RA Bd, and in both cases all Shout did was use previous off the shelf masters that werevastly inferior. DvdBeaver just posted it's review of the new BFI Release of this and it's beautiful, whereas the older German release was widely seen as disappointingly scrubbed with DNR.
If that's the case, Shout/Scream is finally going on my shit list, and I'll finally start looking into getting a region free player and importing.

I'm keeping my pre-order for now. Even at a 3 out of 5 rating - that's still very good. I'll be checking out other sites' reviews as well.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 02:31 PM
  #1437  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,253
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Here is the German release From Studio-Canal.
Does anyone here remember when Shout originally nixed the idea of releasing The Howling (before they started the Scream sub lable) because all that was available was, in their estimation, an inferior master? That master was the Studio-Canal master...and it's the same one they eventually did use on the Scream release. And projected large, it IS noticeably weak. Since they already have a history of using Studio-canal sourced masters, I would say it's more likely than not that is the source of their Nosferatu.

I hope i'm wrong, but I'll reading up on region free players tonight and probably picking one up by the end of the week.
Paul_SD is online now  
Old 05-06-14, 09:26 PM
  #1438  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
rocket1312's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 3,178
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Since they already have a history of using Studio-canal sourced masters, I would say it's more likely than not that is the source of their Nosferatu.
I thought all of these films were owned by and being remastered under the supervision of Herzog's company? I don't think Studio Canal has anything to do with this.
rocket1312 is offline  
Old 05-06-14, 10:04 PM
  #1439  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,253
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
I thought all of these films were owned by and being remastered under the supervision of Herzog's company? I don't think Studio Canal has anything to do with this.
If it walks like a duck...
Ian Jane, who did the DVDTalk review has screen caps of the Shout disc and compares them with the BFI caps from Beaver on his own site here

It's clearly visible on my monitor that the Shout is inferior and hews closer to the German S-C release than the new BFI.

This was easily one of the most anticipated titles for me for the entire year and while it's better than the DVD I fortunately sold off last year, it's still going to be a second rate effort.

And trying to find a good recommended region free player looks to be a real PITA. May just go with a cheap disposable one for the time being. HMDI quirks and firmware updates make me leery of investing too much in a better, more expensive hacked player.
Paul_SD is online now  
Old 05-06-14, 10:16 PM
  #1440  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Why So Blu?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 29,774
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Hmmmmm. Yeah, I'm gonna wait until there's a direct comparison.
Why So Blu? is offline  
Old 05-13-14, 05:30 AM
  #1441  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

cancelled my NOSFERATU pre-order. dvdbeaver review is up with comparisons...looks like SHIT.

they better not fuck up GINGER SNAPS.
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 05-13-14, 06:55 AM
  #1442  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Paul_SD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Hiking the Sisyphian trail
Posts: 6,253
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
cancelled my NOSFERATU pre-order.
cancelled mine too yesterday.
And then ordered a region-free modded Oppo. My first "B" locked titles just shipped from Amazon.uk yesterday also.

I'm a bit surprised to read on other forums so many similar reactions and people now seriously looking to go region free because of this one title.
Hopefully when the dust settles, Shout dropping the ball with this may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise.
Paul_SD is online now  
Old 05-13-14, 07:42 AM
  #1443  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
riotinmyskull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: portsmouth, va
Posts: 9,178
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film4/blu-r...re_blu-ray.htm
riotinmyskull is offline  
Old 05-13-14, 05:38 PM
  #1444  
Senior Member
 
TheDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 930
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

I just watched the trailer for EvilSpeak and it looks pretty interesting. Is it just as weird and tripppy as the trailer suggests? I'm all about weird vector display graphics.
TheDuke is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 12:32 PM
  #1445  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,892
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Pretty excited for Sleepaway Camp as the reviews for the Blu-ray are all sounding pretty great so far. Hopefully eventually Scream will release the sequels too.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 02:31 PM
  #1446  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,030
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
I just watched the trailer for EvilSpeak and it looks pretty interesting. Is it just as weird and tripppy as the trailer suggests? I'm all about weird vector display graphics.
It's like "Carrie" for boys... but with a motherfucker of a finale. I reviewed it here if you want to know more.
islandclaws is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 03:58 PM
  #1447  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 36,934
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Pretty excited for Sleepaway Camp as the reviews for the Blu-ray are all sounding pretty great so far. Hopefully eventually Scream will release the sequels too.
preordered yesterday. can't wait.

DVDTalk Review...
OldBoy is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 04:01 PM
  #1448  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,339
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
I'm a bit surprised to read on other forums so many similar reactions and people now seriously looking to go region free because of this one title.
Hopefully when the dust settles, Shout dropping the ball with this may turn out to have been a blessing in disguise.
The trouble seems to be with Shout's encoder software and / or encoding person, not necessarly with their source materials. They've dropped the ball before on other titles (like the new SLEEPAWAY CAMP and PSYCHO 3). They were given good sources, but ruined them with bad compression artefacts. I've almost given up hope on them. They refuse to even acknowledge the encoding problems, let alone try to MAN UP to solve them. As excited as I am about most of their releases, this problem puts a huge damper on my respect for them as a company.

Never thought I'd say, Twilight Time is looking to do overall better jobs on their releases. As it is now, I'll simply import from Arrow or BFI on principle. At a minimum, I'll be waiting for reviews and comments before taking the plunge on any future Shout! release.
zyzzle is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 04:19 PM
  #1449  
Senior Member
 
TheDuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 930
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Sleepaway Camp seems to be getting good reviews, though... I don't know anything about Psycho 3 though.
TheDuke is offline  
Old 05-14-14, 05:03 PM
  #1450  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,892
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
The trouble seems to be with Shout's encoder software and / or encoding person, not necessarly with their source materials. They've dropped the ball before on other titles (like the new SLEEPAWAY CAMP and PSYCHO 3). They were given good sources, but ruined them with bad compression artefacts. I've almost given up hope on them. They refuse to even acknowledge the encoding problems, let alone try to MAN UP to solve them. As excited as I am about most of their releases, this problem puts a huge damper on my respect for them as a company.

Never thought I'd say, Twilight Time is looking to do overall better jobs on their releases. As it is now, I'll simply import from Arrow or BFI on principle. At a minimum, I'll be waiting for reviews and comments before taking the plunge on any future Shout! release.
What? That's the first I've heard about quality issues with either of those titles. Both seemed to get pretty good reviews and I think Scream/Shout Factory generally does a good job with their titles.
Mike86 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.