Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-23, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

The Tiger Cage trilogy is great. All three are standalone. The first is a great crime thriller with some good action. The second didn't have as strong of a story, but the action gets turned up a notch with Donnie Yen getting a much bigger role. The third one is fun, but clearly a step down from the first two.
Old 04-03-23, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 615 Likes on 453 Posts

I'd say this slightly trumps the UK set with the number of interviews on all three discs (although I wish they were more with industry people and not the usual talking heads, but at least there's some balance) and it ports over some of the unique stuff (Taiwanese footage on the first film, two versions of part 2). The 88 Films box only has commentary (or commentaries) and trailers on on Part 2 and 3. Might grab this (if it EVER goes on sale) and have them both in the collection. I've had these films on so many discs over the years, and they never grow old.

Last edited by Brian T; 04-03-23 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-04-23, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I'll consider the Tiger Cage trilogy at some point. Don't really need it right now, especially with the high price point.
Old 04-05-23, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

It doesn't look it was mentioned in this thread yet, they are releasing Creepshow in 4K. No new special features but it does feature a 'brand new restoration of the film from the original camera negative (2023)'. Interesting considering the Blu-ray was also sourced from a new 4K scan of the original camera negative in 2018. Have 4K scans progressed that much in the last 5 years to make it worth a re-scan?
It's also being released in a few bundles, including posters, stickers, pins and even lobby cards.

Also, they're releasing Creepshow 3 on Blu-ray as a site exclusive. I've seen it and it's not a great movie, but I wouldn't mind owning it. Unfortunately being a site exclusive means it's $30 and probably won't go on sale for much less.
Old 04-05-23, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

I just realized, it says 'brand new restoration' but last time it said 'brand new scan', so maybe it's just further restoration work on the existing scan.
Old 04-05-23, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

I’ll probably end up grabbing Creepshow on sale at some point, but I can’t keep upgrading everything. I’ve been trying to hesitate on any bluray that has a 4k scan. At least until I can justify the price or sell off the digital code to save some money.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (04-05-23)
Old 04-08-23, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

The Brave Archer set is already shipping. I like the individual cases that each film is housed in.

Adam Tyner (04-08-23)
Old 05-12-23, 11:54 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Extras:
The spectacular box set, SHAW BROTHERS CLASSICS, VOL. 1, comprises 11 classic martial arts films from the famous Shaw Brothers' library and a bevy of extras!

DISC ONE: THE ASSASSIN (1967)
Audio: Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation, English Dub Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
NEW Audio Commentary By David West, Critic And Author Of Chasing Dragons: An Introduction To The Martial Arts Film
Celestial Trailer

DISC TWO: THE THUNDERING SWORD (1967)
Audio: Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation
NEW From A Western Perspective – An Interview About The Transnational Appeal Of The Shaw Brothers With Academic Leon Hunt, Author Of "Kung Fu Cult Masters: From Bruce Lee To Crouching Tiger"
NEW Interview With Author And Critic Kim Newman About The Western "Breakthrough" Films Of Sir Run Run Shaw, Which Took The Producer From East To West
Celestial Trailer

DISC THREE: THE GOLDEN SWALLOW (1968)
Audio: Mandarin Mono DTS-HD Master Audio With New Subtitle Translation, English Dub Mono DTS-HD Master Audio
NEW Audio Commentary By Hong Kong-Based Academic And Filmmaker Gilbert Po
Interview With Actress Cheng Pei-Pei By Frédéric Ambroisine
Celestial Trailer
Original Theatrical Trailer

DISC FOUR: THE JADE RAKSHA (1968)
NEW Slicing At The Stars – An Interview With Critic And Hong Kong Film Expert Tony Rayns, About The Emergence, Key Players, And Success Of The Shaw Brothers Wuxia Film
NEW A Very Vocal Violence – Hong Kong Based Dubber Peter Boczar Reflects On His Time Behind The Microphone For A Number Of Martial Arts Masterpieces.

DISC FIVE: THE BELLS OF DEATH (1968)
NEW Audio Commentary With James Mudge, Veteran Hong Kong Film Critic At easternKicks
Celestial Trailer

DISC SIX: THE SWORD OF SWORDS (1968)
NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historian Brian Bankston (Cool Ass Cinema Blog)
NEW Audio Commentary With James Mudge, Veteran Hong Kong Film Critic At easternKicks
Celestial Trailer

DISC SEVEN: KILLER DART (1968)
NEW Audio Commentary with James Mudge, veteran Hong Kong film critic at easternKicks
Celestial Trailer

DISC EIGHT: THE INVINCIBLE FIST (1969)
NEW Audio Commentary With Film Historian Brian Bankston (Cool Ass Cinema Blog)
NEW Audio Commentary with James Mudge, veteran Hong Kong film critic at easternKicks
Celestial Trailer

DISC NINE: DRAGON SWAMP (1969)
NEW Audio Commentary With Hong Kong-Based Academic And Filmmaker Gilbert Po
Celestial Trailer

DISC TEN: THE FLYING DAGGER (1969)
NEW Audio Commentary with Frank Djeng of the New York Asian Film Festival
Celestial Trailer

DISC ELEVEN: THE GOLDEN SWORD (1969)
NEW Audio Commentary With Hong Kong-Based Academic And Filmmaker Gilbert Po
Celestial Trailer

Pre-order from our site and get an EXCLUSIVE 18” X 24” ROLLED POSTER featuring our brand new artwork, available while supplies last! https://shoutfactory.com/products/sh...mpaign=shaw1fb
Adam Tyner (05-12-23)
Old 05-12-23, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting mix of features, including some names (Gilbert Po, Leon Hunt) that will hopefully break up the monotony of the ‘same bunch’ of supplement contributors who’ve dominated so many HK reissues up until now. Mind you, I’ve listened to a couple of James Mudge tracks recently and was very underwhelmed. He’d probably be better used in shorter video appreciations. I’ve skimmed the Cool Ass Cinema blog over the years and Brian Bankston tends to include more relevant minutiae in his reviews than many bloggers, so hopefully he can parlay some of that into commentaries.

I still can’t justify the nearly $200 price tag though (even more up here), especially as I have nearly all of these on the old Celestial DVDs. I could survive. .

This has probably been answered already, but it this a Shout site exclusive like the Brave Archer set? If not, I suppose there’s a chance it might stick around long enough to be included in a sale.

Old 05-12-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
This has probably been answered already, but it this a Shout site exclusive like the Brave Archer set?
It’s a wide release.

I’m not sure if Movies Unlimited ships to Canada, but it might be worth looking into. The coupon code MU23MAY could bring the price down to $124.48 USD. (If it works on preorders, anyway; haven’t tested yet myself.)
Old 05-13-23, 10:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Coupon does work on pre-orders..
Adam Tyner (05-13-23)
Old 05-30-23, 07:24 AM

They already have a Volume 2 coming...

https://shoutfactory.com/collections...classics-vol-2

This spectacular box set comprises 12 classic martial arts films from the famous Shaw Brothers' library, featuring some of their greatest stars – Cheng Pei-pei (Come Drink With Me), Lo Lieh (King Boxer), Sammo Hung (Wheels On Meals), Ti Lung (A Better Tomorrow), and David Chiang (The Boxer From Shantung). Many of these films are debuting for the first time on Blu-ray. Get ready for some exciting thrills and chills as heroes meet villains in a duel to the death!

LADY OF STEEL (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 88 min.)
Cheng Pei-pei was Hong Kong's first and most celebrated queen of kung fu because her performances set all the standards for future female martial arts stars like Michelle Yeoh. Lady Of Steel is a high-plains-drifter adventure where Cheng Pei-pei plays a swordswoman on a mission: to find the bandits that killed her parents and save the country from foreign invaders.

BROTHERS FIVE (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 106 min.)
Years before he was to become famous for directing Bruce Lee in Fist Of Fury and Jackie Chan in New Fist Of Fury, Lo Wei teamed with superstar swordswoman Cheng Pei-pei (Come Drink With Me) for this action thriller of brotherly love ... and death. She stars as Yen Lai, the one woman who can reunite the Kao brothers to rid the Teng Lung Manor of killers – as well as take revenge for their father's murder.

THE CRIMSON CHARM (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 100 min.)
Huang Feng both writes and directs this "Martial Arts World" thriller of a noble swordsman and a one-armed swordswoman up against the vicious Crimson Charm gang of thieves and cutthroats. The lovely and lethal Ivy Ling Po teams with the amazing Chang I for a classic tale of good versus evil in which the best man – and one-armed woman – wins.

THE SHAWDOW WHIP (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 79 min.)
This top-ten box office hit reunites the star duo from Come Drink With Me in another classic action adventure. Cheng Pei-pei (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) radiates her trademark charm while wielding the deadly title weapon, which is implicated in multiple murders and a major heist. Whether single-handedly fighting sixteen bandits or avenging her father's brutal death, she demonstrates why she was Hong Kong's number one swordswoman – and no slouch with the whip either!

THE DELIGHTFUL FOREST (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin & English Dub DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 96 min.)
Co-directed by Chang Cheh and Pao Hsueh-li, and written by Ni Kuang, Chang Cheh and Chin Shu-Mei, The Delightful Forest revolves around the legendary hero Wu Sung (Ti Lung), who was sent to the prison in the Meng province after murdering his sister-in-law and a local ruffian. There he was acquainted with the prison officer "Golden Eye" Shih En (Tien Ching), who saved Wu from the baton punishment required for new prisoners. Wu found out that Shih's restaurant, "Delightful Forest," was taken by the local thug "Door God" Chiang Chung (Chu Mu).

THE DEVIL'S MIRROR (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 90 min.)
This is Sun Chung's very first film for the Shaw Brothers, making it especially interesting and important. He hit the ground running with this action-filled tale of a "Devil Girl" who is setting one clan against another to get her hands on two amazing mirrors with supernatural powers. Only a noble swordsman (played by Lau Dan) and beautiful swordswoman (played by The Thundering Sword star Shu Pei-pei) can stop her.

MAN OF IRON (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin & English Dub DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 99 min.)
Chen Kuan-tai exuded incredible power on screen, which his directors used to great advantage in this fight-filled follow-up to the smash hit The Boxer From Shantung. The only thing Chou Lien Huan does wrong is win some money gambling with a Shanghai gang leader's playboy son ... but that's enough for the father and child to want obsessive revenge. It all culminates in an incredible climatic fight, choreographed by the legendary Lau Kar-leung and Chan Chuen, co-star of Bruce Lee's Fist Of Fury.

THE WATER MARGIN (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 125 min.)
The Chang Cheh-directed The Water Margin is the martial arts epic of epics ... of epics. Based on the true legend of how 108 rebel heroes living in the mountains were able to repeatedly defeat invading Sung armies, the film starred just about anyone who was a name at Shaw Brothers at the time, like David Chiang, Chen Kuan-tai and Ti Lung. The primitive battles ultimately end in sharp, visually effective images of death and defeat. This is a must-see for any movie fan.

THE BRIDE FROM HELL (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 79 min.)
Never marry a possessed woman ... especially one possessed by the spirit of a girl murdered by the uncle of the groom! That is the moral of this fascinating production, released a full two years before the international success of The Exorcist. Justice must be done and an exorcism, Hong Kong-style, must be performed before anyone can rest in peace. Talented Margaret Hsing Hui makes a fetching spirit in this mystery thriller that also incorporates a laugh or two amidst the chills.

HEROES TWO (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin & English Dub DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 92 min.)
Of the dozens of great martial arts movies made by this prolific and respected director, this tale of legendary Shaolin avengers Fang Shih-yu and Hung Hsi-kuan is often considered one of his best. His collaboration with equally renowned kung fu choreographer Lar Kar-leung was apparent in all the performances, but especially with that of charismatic, capable, then 19-year-old Alexander Fu Sheng. This powerful production is a true landmark in kung fu film history.

THE FLYING GUILLOTINE (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin & English Dub DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 105 min.)
Director Ho Meng-hua attained cult status among Western kung fu film fans with The Flying Guillotine. One of the Shaw Brothers' biggest martial arts stars, Chen Kuan-tai, plays the leader of a group of killers, commissioned by the Ching Emperor to use a deadly, beheading weapon to assassinate dissidents. Although based on a true story, the film's weapon was a complete fabrication because in real life, no one ever survived to tell what the actual weapon really looked like.

THE DRAGON MISSLE (1080p High-Definition Widescreen (2.35:1) / Mandarin & English Dub DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 86 min.)
The many fans of the internationally popular Flying Guillotine films and international star Lo Lieh (King Boxer) will love this movie, featuring some of the most exciting martial arts machinery ever conceived. Everybody's fighting for a special elixir and the title tool – an ultra-cool flying boomerang with blades. There are double crosses and ambushes galore before the culminating clash of sizzling steel that must be seen to be believed.

Last edited by dex14; 05-30-23 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-30-23, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I’m not sure if Movies Unlimited ships to Canada, but it might be worth looking into. The coupon code MU23MAY could bring the price down to $124.48 USD. (If it works on preorders, anyway; haven’t tested yet myself.)
I only noticed this post now, and while the code no longer seems to work, the price of both sets (including Vol. 2) now shows $139.99. I could swear they were both still $190-something when I tested the cart (and got the invalid code response), but maybe not. Those prices are a little more reasonable, but now I’m debating whether they’ll eventually be cheaper in a sale since these are wide releases as you noted (perhaps $124 will happen again). As with the first set, I have most of the titles on Celestial’s DVDs, so these aren’t crucial boxes unless the price is right. Still, thinking about it …
Old 05-30-23, 01:45 PM

I only noticed this post now, and while the code no longer seems to work, the price of both sets (including Vol. 2) now shows $139.99. I could swear they were both still $190-something when I tested the cart (and got the invalid code response), but maybe not. Those prices are a little more reasonable, but now I’m debating whether they’ll eventually be cheaper in a sale since these are wide releases as you noted (perhaps $124 will happen again). As with the first set, I have most of the titles on Celestial’s DVDs, so these aren’t crucial boxes unless the price is right. Still, thinking about it …
June: MU23JUN (Save 20% on any order of $25 or more)
Old 05-30-23, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cool. I’ll give that a try in a couple of days.
Old 05-31-23, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

The volume 2 films have my attention. The Devil’s Mirror is a fun film.
Old 06-01-23, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Diabolik Video has the upcoming Bruce Lee Box Set with 2 different prices, What's the difference between the sets?
Old 06-01-23, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Diabolik Video has the upcoming Bruce Lee Box Set with 2 different prices, What's the difference between the sets?
Do you mean the Arrow box set? There's no new Shout Factory release of Bruce Lee movies that I'm aware of. As for the Arrow box set at Diabolik, one is Blu-ray and one is 4K.
Old 06-01-23, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Do you mean the Arrow box set? There's no new Shout Factory release of Bruce Lee movies that I'm aware of. As for the Arrow box set at Diabolik, one is Blu-ray and one is 4K.
Yeah the Arrow set.
I hope I ordered the right one. It was more expensive than the other one.
Edit:Just checked the order and it is the 4K UHD set.
Old 06-03-23, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
June: MU23JUN (Save 20% on any order of $25 or more)
This one doesn’t seem to work either, at least not in the Shaw stuff. Haven’t tried other titles as I’ve been caught up on Shout releases for a while. No problem waiting.
Old 06-03-23, 08:30 AM

This one doesn’t seem to work either, at least not in the Shaw stuff. Haven’t tried other titles as I’ve been caught up on Shout releases for a while. No problem waiting.
It worked when I tested it just now.
Old 06-05-23, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 06-06-23, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Cool. I’ll give that a try in a couple of days.
With the coupon and $21 shipping, it brings the set to about $186CDN or so. Now, it may get taxed and such coming into Canada. But, regardless, still less than Amazon's $199+tax.

NOTE: Coupon seemed to work for me as well.
Old 06-06-23, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

"Underground hit HACKERS is coming to 4K UHD 8/22."

Is "underground hit" the new marketing catchprhase for "notoriously disastrous box office flop"?

Can't wait 'til those underground hits Battlefield Earth and Gigli get released in 4K!
IBJoel (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
"Underground hit HACKERS is coming to 4K UHD 8/22."

Is "underground hit" the new marketing catchprhase for "notoriously disastrous box office flop"?

Can't wait 'til those underground hits Battlefield Earth and Gigli get released in 4K!
So, what, are people starting to see through "cult classic?"
The following 3 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
Brian T (06-08-23), IBJoel (06-06-23), Josh Z (06-06-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.