Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Old 01-18-23, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,318 Likes on 1,709 Posts
Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Shout posted a week ago that Charles Bronson's "The Evil that Men Do" is 60% sold out

I just can't justify purchasing this. $30 is too expensive for this catalog title and it doesn't have enough added value. And Shout charges for shipping unless you buy $50 worth of stuff. There's no commentary and no remaster. I've seen the movie a number of times, so I think I'm good.
Old 01-27-23, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,394 Likes on 914 Posts

A sneak peek at what I'm assuming are April's new titles:

The Haunting of Julia (UHD)

Jackie Chan Collection, Vol. 2

Flashback

Chikyuu Sentai Fiveman (DVD)

Midnight Run (UHD)
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (01-30-23)
Old 01-27-23, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 1,060 Likes on 748 Posts

Peter Straub fan is excited about The Haunting of Julia!
Old 01-28-23, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk God

I'm going to guess that 2nd Jackie Chan collection has Crime story, City Hunter The Protector, Wheels on Meals, Operation Condor, Armour of God and Project A 1 and 2

Some of those I recall Shout having the previous rights to like Crime Story and The Protector.
Old 01-28-23, 07:28 AM

Received 3,441 Likes on 2,334 Posts

The cover image with the black tank top looks like it is from Twinkle Twinkle, so it may have the Lucky Stars films.
Old 01-28-23, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 639 Likes on 450 Posts

Based on the 5 Jackie's on the cover, at the very least this set will contain Crime Story, Armour of God, The Protector and Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars.

I don't immediately recognize the image from the top right, but based on his hair it would probably be City Hunter or Operation Condor.

Since the set is labeled as 1983-1993, it would have to have Winners and Sinners or Project A. I'd say Winners and Sinners is far more likely. Project A is too good for a set like this. Especially if it isn't even featured on the artwork.
Old 01-28-23, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by rocket1312 View Post
Based on the 5 Jackie's on the cover, at the very least this set will contain Crime Story, Armour of God, The Protector and Twinkle Twinkle Lucky Stars.

I don't immediately recognize the image from the top right, but based on his hair it would probably be City Hunter or Operation Condor.

Since the set is labeled as 1983-1993, it would have to have Winners and Sinners or Project A. I'd say Winners and Sinners is far more likely. Project A is too good for a set like this. Especially if it isn't even featured on the artwork.
Top right looks like it is from the Wheels on Meals.

Old 01-28-23, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh maybe. That would definitely raise the overall quality of the set. It's already much better than volume 1, but Wheels on Meals would almost make it a must buy on its own.

Last edited by rocket1312; 01-28-23 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-30-23, 09:57 AM

Product Note: Extras in progress and will be announced at a later date.

Synopsis

Unbeatable. Unstoppable. Undeniable. Jackie Chan stands alone among action heroes thanks to his death-defying stunts, unparalleled fight scenes, and his signature sense of humor. An international superstar, Chan has thrilled fans around the globe for decades. As the standard bearer for martial arts action, Chan has forged a legacy that never has nor will be matched.

Presented here are eight classic films which showcase the unique mixture of martial arts, action, and comedy that has made Jackie Chan a cultural icon.

WINNERS AND SINNERS (1.85:1 / Cantonese, English DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 108 min.)

Just released from prison, five steadfast friends do their very best to stay out of trouble, but quickly find themselves involved in an all-out war!

WHEELS ON MEALS (2.35:1 / Cantonese, English DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / 107 min.)

As they operate a food truck in Spain, two friends are called upon to use their martial arts expertise to help protect a pickpocket from a ruthless gang.

THE PROTECTOR (1.85:1 / English DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo & 5.1 / U.S. Cut (95 min.) / Hong Kong Cut (92 min.))

When the daughter of a wealthy businessman is kidnapped, two New York City cops travel to Hong Kong to make trouble for the nefarious drug lord they suspect is behind the crime.

TWINKLE, TWINKLE LUCKY STARS (2.35:1 / Cantonese, English DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / Hong Kong Cut (94 min.) / Extended Cut (107 min.))

The Five Lucky Stars are tasked with protecting the friend of an assassinated police informant while the Police Chief and her team try to root out an illegal drug operation.

ARMOUR OF GOD (2.35:1 / Cantonese, English DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / Hong Kong Cut (98 min.) / International Cut (88 min.))

Asian Hawk (Jackie Chan), an adventurer dealing in antiquities, is sent on a quest through Europe after he discovers a mysterious sword and Satanic monks kidnap his ex-girlfriend.

ARMOUR OF GOD II: OPERATION CONDOR (2.35:1 / Cantonese, English DTS-HD Master Audio Mono / Extended Cut (117 min.) / Hong Kong Cut (107 min.))

Asian Hawk (Jackie Chan) is on a mission in the Sahara to lay claim to hidden WWII Nazi gold. But three female sidekicks and a team of ruthless mercenaries may have different ideas for the treasure.

CRIME STORY (1.85:1 / Cantonese, English DTS-HD Master Audio Mono & 5.1 / 107 min.)

Fighting his own personal demons, Inspector Eddie Chan must find a kidnapped businessman, a task which will put him in the line of fire from mobsters and a double-crossing agent.

CITY HUNTER (1.85:1 / Cantonese DTS-HD Master Audio Mono, Cantonese, English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 / 100 min.)

A special agent assigned to protect a well-to-do businessman gets more than he bargains for when his charge is kidnapped during an ambush. Teaming up with a detective, he soon finds that not all is as it seems ...
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=8034

Unfortunate that the second film in the Lucky Star series, My Lucky Stars, isn't included. It seems Criterion has that one (as well as other JC titles) and are just sitting on it for Region A.

I'm happy with the 88 and Eureka editions.
Old 01-30-23, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,394 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
A sneak peek at what I'm assuming are April's new titles:

These were officially announced this morning, along with:

Old 01-30-23, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 278 Likes on 216 Posts

Indeed odd that MY LUCKY STARS wasn't included to complete that threesome. I guess TWIN DRAGONS remains an orphan (as does ISLAND OF FIRE and FANTASY MISSION FORCE, both of which fall into this era, although I could see those turning up on another label, since they're presumably tied up with different licensors).

It would be nice to have these all in one space-saving box compared to the UK sets, but it would really depend on the supplements. I'd only be tempted by Vol. 1 in a decent sale, so have to reserve judgment on this one.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-30-23 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-30-23, 11:46 AM

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

I am just shocked that Wheels on Meals is finally getting a legit release in the U.S. which I don't think it has gotten since VHS. This set looks way better than the first volume, which I had decided to wait for a sale on. But this set has made me consider pre-ordering it.
Old 01-30-23, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Space saving and having region A copies of these films are the primary reasons I might be interested in this set. I don't really want to go through the hassle of flipping my UK versions nor do I trust Shout from a technical perspective, so I'll likely pass unless they truly are equal (I'd be stunned if they were improved) to the UK releases. Has there been a thorough comparison of volume 1 yet?

I'll also add that I'm pretty surprised at the inclusion of Wheels on Meals and the two Armour of Gods here. Nothing in volume 1 really merited a standalone release (as much as I do love Dragon Lord), but these three are almost universally considered top tier Jackie. I actually don't care for either Armour of God that much, but I seem to be in the minority on that. I'm sure there would have been a big market for them as standalones. And the remaining titles still might have made for a better set than volume 1.
Brian T (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 584 Likes on 503 Posts

Wow, Bless The Child. I was thinking that one would never make it out on Blu-ray.
Old 01-30-23, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 831 Likes on 643 Posts

Yeah, Vol 1 of that Jackie Chan set was lame, so I skipped it. Vol 2 has the good shit, so will be getting this unless Eureka do something better since they've been releasing TONS of Asian cinema as of late.
Old 01-30-23, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Yeah, Vol 1 of that Jackie Chan set was lame, so I skipped it. Vol 2 has the good shit, so will be getting this unless Eureka do something better since they've been releasing TONS of Asian cinema as of late.
All of the films in the set have already been released by either Eureka or 88 Films.
Why So Blu? (01-30-23)
Old 01-30-23, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll probably get that Jackie Chan Volume 2 set. I don't own most of those movies on BD. I have a few of them on DVD. But, it will depend on how much it costs and if it gets on sale.

I had no interest on that Volume 1 set. I'm not a fan of Jackie's very early work, including the original Drunken Master. The only one that I have sort of a passive interest in that I don't own is The Big Brawl since it's Jackie's 1st U.S. release and not comedy driven. I'll at some point look for an import single of it.