Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Old 04-24-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Re: The One and Only Shout and Scream Factory Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by dsa_shea View Post
It might as well be labeled the we want to get rid of some shit sale,
Hey, it worked for Amazon and Prime Day!
Old 05-01-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

August ....

Old 05-02-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Scream Factory on the feasibility of Ultra HD Blu-ray releases (around the 1:40:00 mark in the podcast):

Have you guys, or will you guys, ever discuss going 4K?

Cliff: Yeah, you know, this comes up a lot, and I understand why the fans want it. Trust me; I'm a 4K guy, I have a player, and all the streaming capabilities and so forth. The thing the fans need to understand is that when we license a title, we are only getting physical media rights. We do not get broadcast, we don't get television, we don't get digital: we don't get any of that, especially in the studio deals. Sometimes with smaller movies, we do. But when you're a studio and you spend the money to make a 4K, you're utilizing that master and that expenditure across multiple platforms. So you're gonna get your money back quicker. If we're only putting out a 4K disc and the only way we can recoup the cost of that is by this disc, we have to be sure we're gonna sell X amount of units. And I'm not talking out of school because it's been on the forums, but you know, Kino's doing Hannibal, and they're not happy with their orders. They canceled their next title because of it. It's very difficult as an independent to do that, to spend that kind of money. You're talking probably $50,000 to do a transfer, and then if you do extras, and then the replication of the disc is more expensive. We can't make the numbers work. We really can't. And we'd like to. We'd really want to play in that arena, and we'd lose money. We'd lose money.

Jeff: Cliff, you perfectly summed that up. I also think too that even though we see that there is some growth in the 4K players, things could be a little bit more encouraging if there were more growth. That growth is steady, but it's not fast.

Cliff: And here's something 'cause I'd actually just had the conversation with the sales department. When a major studio starts pricing the discs at a low price -- like, this week, you were able to buy the 4K of Alien for $14.99, and it's still that price on Amazon -- so, our sales department feels like "well, we can't go out with a $40, $35 disc when Lionsgate or Fox is selling it for $15. We need to be at that price." So now, you're trying to recoup that cost off a disc that's only $15, and there's just no way. It'd just be a huge write-off for the company, and it pains us to not play in that marketplace. And we do, we have some IMAX titles, but in that case, the cost of the IMAX transfer and the disc creation is split among all territories. So everybody pays a smaller amount. If we did the 4K transfer ourselves -- and we do 4K transfers, we don't finish the work in 4K because unfortunately, we don't have any use for it because we can't play in this arena -- (and I couldn't quite make out this last bit; something like "and that's it").
Old 05-02-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of their newest scans have been 4K anyway so they would only have to account for what? Slightly increased replication/materials cost?

Their second point about competing with studio prices on UHD releases like Alien sounds like bullshit. They have no problem asking $35-40 for BD catalog titles right now, or contacting independent shops and ordering them to increase their prices or face losing their distribution channel.

Once the BD well goes dry, they'll switch over.
Old 05-02-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by DthRdrX View Post
Most of their newest scans have been 4K anyway so they would only have to account for what?
Well, they're 4K scans but 2K masters.
Old 05-02-19, 09:20 PM
Political Exile

Fear in the Night is as lame as lame gets. Can't these people (speaking to all distributors) come up with more interesting releases?
Old 05-03-19, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It kind of sucks that Kino released Hannibal as their first 4K release and that is what is these independent labels are using as a measure of selling 4K. I mean, were there really that many people asking for that on 4K, especially considering it's a lesser sequel to a classic film that's not even on 4K? It seems like they could have done an actual (cult) classic film that they knew would have a higher demand. Like if Shout released Army of Darkness.
Old 05-03-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There was another bit of text from that Cliff guy that mentioned that due to the low pre-sales of Hannibal, the've scrapped their second 4k title, which was to be Valkyrie. As I mentioned to a friend, when you have such hard hitting titles as Hannibal and potentially Valkyrie making their 4k debut, no fucking wonder sales are low.
Old 05-03-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
There was another bit of text from that Cliff guy that mentioned that due to the low pre-sales of Hannibal, the've scrapped their second 4k title, which was to be Valkyrie.
What you saw from Cliff is a telephone game rewording of what he said in the podcast. Cliff is from Scream Factory, not Kino, and he seems to be making the same assumptions a whole bunch of people are.

These couple of questions were asked on blu-ray.com's forums:

I don't know if this sort of information is available yet, but how are sales of the Hannibal UHD going? Looking like enough to justify further 4K releases?

I'm about to order my copy now
Kino Lorber Insider's response:

Good, not great. But, it's still early.

We dropped the other 2000s title.

We're still looking into releasing the Leone/Eastwood trilogy. We're doing some tests.
...and they confirmed shortly afterwards that the title in question was Valkyrie. So a bunch of people immediately made the assumption that Valkyrie was canned due to low Hannibal pre-orders, but Kino Lorber never actually said that. In fact, they dropped Valkyrie altogether; they're not reissuing it on regular ol' Blu-ray either. (And, obviously, a Blu-ray reissue wouldn't really be affected by low 4K preorders.) They amended their deal with MGM and no longer have any rights to release Valkyrie. Plus Kino Lorber is still investigating a Dollars trilogy release on UHD BD, so they're obviously not writing off the format altogether.
Old 05-04-19, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Using Hannibal to judge what sales would be is a poor idea because:

A: It's a shit sequel not many will care about, much less spend a large amount of money on.
B: Most of Kino's customers know very well they have a history of dropping prices significantly during their big sales.

Personally, I usually don't buy their titles until they are under $10. A 4K release of the Dollars trilogy would tempt me though.
Old 05-05-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hannibal isn't even popular among genre fans.
Old 05-05-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Hannibal isn’t even popular among people who bought Hannibal on Ultra HD Blu-ray. Or at least that’s the case for me, anyway.
Old 06-03-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

A few more Hammers coming from Scream:
  • Blood from the Mummy's Tomb - 9/10
  • Scars of Dracula - 9/10
  • Straight On Till Morning - 9/17
While not a Hammer production, Fright is also arriving on 9/17.
Old 06-03-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=7155

Old 06-03-19, 01:49 PM

• National street date for North America (Region A) is Sept 24th.
• This will be presented as a Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.
• The newly commissioned artwork pictured comes to us from Devon Whitehead (Trick r Treat, Valentine, Sleepealkers). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork.
• Extras will be announced on a later date. However, we can confirm already that we have new interviews with Mr. Carpenter and Sandy King Carpenter.

Pre-orders on our site begin today which includes the Blu-ray plus a rolled 18” x 24” poster of the new art. The poster is exclusive to us and will be made at a limited-run of 500 pieces
Old 06-03-19, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks Dex14 for the specs. I had the hardest time even getting the friggin pic to load.
Old 06-03-19, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm a little mad about the Vampires news. I'll consider a purchase depending on the extras since I have the Twilight Times bluray.
Old 06-03-19, 04:54 PM

Awesome news. So glad I restrained myself with the TT release.
Old 06-03-19, 05:53 PM

I have the Indicator version. I doubt I'll double dip.
Old 06-03-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Awesome news. So glad I restrained myself with the TT release.
Same here!
Old 06-03-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Was the TT edition bare bones? I don’t recall.
Old 06-03-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not the best movie but I’ll probably grab Vampires. Glad I never picked up the Twilight Time release.
Old 06-04-19, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Was the TT edition bare bones? I don’t recall.
The TT edition of "Vampires" had Carpenter commentary, isolated score and very brief EPK stuff.
Old 06-04-19, 06:01 PM

Not fond of that Vampires sleeve design. Colourful for sure, but seems like they cheapened out by not using likenesses of the stars. Hardly a deal killer I'm sure, but it reminds me of the newly commissioned art for Matinee, which depicted the back of John Goodman's head. Hope it doesn't become a regular thing now . . .
Old 06-04-19, 06:03 PM

Nice collection of extras for THIS ISLAND EARTH:

• NEW 4K Scan Of The Inter-Positive – Two Aspect Ratios: 1.85:1 And 1.37:1
  • NEW The Original Perspecta Stereophonic Sound Restored By 3-D Film Archive
  • NEW Audio Commentary With Author And Academy Award Winning Visual Effects Artist Robert Skotak
  • NEW Audio Interview With Film Historian David Schecter On The Music Of This Island Earth
  • NEW Alien Ideas – An Interview With Filmmaker Luigi Cozzi (Starcrash)
  • NEW Facts About Perspecta Stereophonic Sound By Bob Furmanek
  • This Island Earth – Two And A Half Years In The Making: The Extended Documentary – A Look At The Making Of This Island Earth
  • WAR OF THE PLANETS: 1958 Castle Films Release For The Home Market Including Both The 50-Foot Silent Headline Edition And The 200-Foot Sound Complete Edition
  • Trailers From Hell – This Island Earth With Commentary By Filmmaker Joe Dante
  • Theatrical Trailer
  • Still Galleries – Poster And Lobby Cards, Publicity Stills And Behind-The-Scenes Photos