Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank
How much is the A/V quality improved over The Legacy Collection discs?
Honestly I haven't done a comparison.

I don't have a souped up audio system either, so I cannot comment on the mix.
Old 09-18-17, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Makes me wonder if any of the other Hong Kong titles they licenced -- presumably in order to get the premium Lee and/or Jackie Chan stuff -- will also be going extinct some time soon . . .
Old 09-18-17, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you be more specific? There are only 2 reviews of the Blu-ray on Amazon written in 2017 and one of them clearly didn't get the Shout Factory release because they complain there is no english soundtrack...

If you're just saying that the movie Game of Death is a false marketed joke...well yeah that's been the case for decades.
LMAO, well I guess that's a very fair point...
Old 09-18-17, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

There are 3 iterations of the Shout Bruce Lee transfers. They are as follows:

1. Legacy set (original pressing)
All four titles are SD upscales with color correction by Shout.

2. Legacy set (second pressing) / Premiere set
3 of 4 titles are true HD transfers (GOD still an upscale) with NO color correction.

3. Shout Select individual releases (marketed under American titles)
All four titles have new HD masters from a 4k scan with color correction by Shout.

The Shout Select versions of Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon are identical to the older versions in terms of audio and extras. Big Boss adds a commentary and an alternate Mandarin soundtrack. Game of Death adds the HK version of the movie (along with the previously released American and Japanese versions). I don't recall if there were any tweaks to the subtitles this go around.

The Shout Select versions are probably the best we'll ever get for these films. YMMV as to whether or not they are worthy upgrades to the Legacy/Premiere. GOD is a no brainer to me, but it's also the worst movie of the bunch. I think the others are worth it, but it might come down to how important the color correction is to you.
Old 09-18-17, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

The audio commentary on the Game of Death release is a struggle to listen to (not content-wise)

The commentator (Mike Leeder) sounds like he's calling in his commentary from a cell phone. You can barely make out what he's saying. He's very knowledgeable about the movie, but at times you can't make out what he's saying in certain scenes. Very muffled.

It's a horrible movie and hard to believe that only 11 minutes of actual Bruce Lee footage was used in the 100 minutes that he filmed. I blame Golden Harvest and Robert Clouse for the hack job they created.

BTW, Leeder mentioned (if I understood him correctly) that Chuck Norris filed a lawsuit against Golden Harvest because they used his likeness from the Way of the Dragon clip in Game of Death and credited him as being part of his movie, which he thought was deceptive. Chuck was already established as a solo martial arts movie star at the time and he declined a real role in Game of Death. So he was mad that Golden Harvest deceptively used his likeness and credited him.

Yes indeed YMMV on whether this is a worthy upgrade for you. That's why I said earlier if you don't own any incarnation on BD, get this one now before it's gone.
Old 09-18-17, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The audio commentary on the Game of Death release is a struggle to listen to (not content-wise)

The commentator (Mike Leeder) sounds like he's calling in his commentary from a cell phone. You can barely make out what he's saying. He's very knowledgeable about the movie, but at times you can't make out what he's saying in certain scenes. Very muffled.

It's a horrible movie and hard to believe that only 11 minutes of actual Bruce Lee footage was used in the 100 minutes that he filmed. I blame Golden Harvest and Robert Clouse for the hack job they created.

BTW, Leeder mentioned (if I understood him correctly) that Chuck Norris filed a lawsuit against Golden Harvest because they used his likeness from the Way of the Dragon clip in Game of Death and credited him as being part of his movie, which he thought was deceptive. Chuck was already established as a solo martial arts movie star at the time and he declined a real role in Game of Death. So he was mad that Golden Harvest deceptively used his likeness and credited him.

Yes indeed YMMV on whether this is a worthy upgrade for you. That's why I said earlier if you don't own any incarnation on BD, get this one now before it's gone.
This is an excellent explanation of what I was going for on the GoD release.

I also have a huge problem with how basically the entire movie is a Maltese Falcon and Hai doesn't even go upstairs to look for Sylvia!
Old 09-18-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 212 Likes on 188 Posts

I find "Game of Death" endlessly amusing for its faults, -including some of the laugh-out-loud "They thought they'd get away with this!" moments. Then, of course, there are the real Bruce Lee fight scenes, which are terrific.
Old 09-18-17, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
There are 3 iterations of the Shout Bruce Lee transfers. They are as follows:

1. Legacy set (original pressing)
All four titles are SD upscales with color correction by Shout.

2. Legacy set (second pressing) / Premiere set
3 of 4 titles are true HD transfers (GOD still an upscale) with NO color correction.

3. Shout Select individual releases (marketed under American titles)
All four titles have new HD masters from a 4k scan with color correction by Shout.

The Shout Select versions of Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon are identical to the older versions in terms of audio and extras. Big Boss adds a commentary and an alternate Mandarin soundtrack. Game of Death adds the HK version of the movie (along with the previously released American and Japanese versions). I don't recall if there were any tweaks to the subtitles this go around.

The Shout Select versions are probably the best we'll ever get for these films. YMMV as to whether or not they are worthy upgrades to the Legacy/Premiere. GOD is a no brainer to me, but it's also the worst movie of the bunch. I think the others are worth it, but it might come down to how important the color correction is to you.
Thanks for this rundown. I already have the second pressing of the Legacy Collection, but decided to go ahead and pick up Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon Collector's Editions because they are pretty cheap on Amazon right now. I don't watch The Big Boss that much so I didn't feel the need to grab that one and I really don't need to own another edition of Game of Death until someone does a presentation that compiles all the available footage Bruce shot interleaved with the notes/outline from his original vision and none of the posthumous footage shot for the hack job. It would be a sort of study in what could have been. The HKL DVD has something close to this in its "Game of Death Re-visited" feature, which as far as I'm concerned is the only "version" of Game of Death I ever need to watch again. Would be nice to have it in HD though.
Old 09-29-17, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Coming January 23, 2018
Old 09-29-17, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

It doesn't take much to get into the Shout Select line, does it? ^
Old 09-29-17, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Sam Elliott is not amused by your comment.
Old 09-29-17, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Shout has always been the whore of the home video label. Scream Factory has some of the finest horror movies ever made, along with plenty of crap.
Old 09-29-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks for this rundown. I already have the second pressing of the Legacy Collection, but decided to go ahead and pick up Fist of Fury and Way of the Dragon Collector's Editions because they are pretty cheap on Amazon right now. I don't watch The Big Boss that much so I didn't feel the need to grab that one and I really don't need to own another edition of Game of Death until someone does a presentation that compiles all the available footage Bruce shot interleaved with the notes/outline from his original vision and none of the posthumous footage shot for the hack job. It would be a sort of study in what could have been. The HKL DVD has something close to this in its "Game of Death Re-visited" feature, which as far as I'm concerned is the only "version" of Game of Death I ever need to watch again. Would be nice to have it in HD though.
To follow up on my own post here and the inquiry I made about the difference in AV quality - I spot checked Way of the Dragon last night because the Legacy Collection Blu-ray looks pretty rough in the first 10 minutes or so. The Collector's Edition was noticeably better there - some shots are limited by the lack of focus that can't ever be fixed, but overall the opening sequence looked quite a bit better. I think it's worth the upgrade.
Old 09-29-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Coming January 23, 2018
"Shakedown" is one of those movies I've watched a few times, and I always hope it'll magically get better. I loved the original trailer back when it was on "Movietime" (predecessor to "E!") and wanted to see the film I imagined it to be. It's not a bad film, -I was never bored by it, -it's just not much better than blatantly "B".

Last edited by DWilson; 09-30-17 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-29-17, 09:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Sam Elliott is not amused by your comment.

Shakedown
is fucking great. fuck, i just bought digital too!
Old 09-29-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 608 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
-it's just not much better than blantantly "B".
Joyously "B" in my book! And I've always figured that most of the people involved with SHAKEDOWN felt exactly that way about it, which is what makes it so cool! It's no classic, granted, but like most James Glickenhaus movies (except his last one) it makes good on its promises, moves at a steady clip, and contains some solid action sequences for its budget, including a fun one set in the famed 42nd Street grindhouse district. I figured Shout would nab this sooner or later, and I don't think they're really stooping to include it in the 'Selects' line considering some of the other niche-y, not-big-boxoffice titles there (Incredible Shrinking Woman, Home for the Holidays, Trespass, Matinee etc.). Hopefully they can persuade Glickenhaus to come back from retirement (or Wall Street or wherever) to participate in some supplements. Maybe Weller and Elliott, too.

Last edited by Brian T; 09-29-17 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-30-17, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Also coming from Scream Factory:

Will be released January 30, 2018
Old 09-30-17, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

I wonder if Albert Pyun's Director's Cut will be part of that BD.
Old 10-01-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Coming January 23, 2018

Fuck yes!
Old 10-20-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Scream Factory updated the specs of Silent Night Deadly Night.
https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=6462

*Regarding the Extended Version: For our new transfer, Sony Studios scanned the original camera negative at Technicolor in 4K. Unfortunately though we learned during our process that this original element was cut and did not contain the unrated footage we were hoping to find. Sony searched their vault for the footage (and we also looked aggressively into other alternatives to find it) but sadly it was not saved and remains missing.

The only solution for presenting the extended cut of the film was to incorporate the same unrated video footage that has been present on prior home entertainment DVD and Blu-ray releases. The transition of scenes between the theatrical and unrated versions will still be noticeable but we have tried to minimize the shifts in picture quality by restoring the unrated footage to try to match the color and clarity to our new transfer as best we could.
They said on their facebook page they at least tried to improve the transition of the added material into the movie. I just hope it looks better from the Anchor bay Release.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-20-17 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-20-17, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Macon County Line is up for pre-order at Amazon. January release.
Old 10-20-17, 08:49 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Macon County Line is up for pre-order at Amazon. January release.
Great movie, watched it just a couple of months ago. Have both of the former
US DVD releases.
Old 10-30-17, 12:00 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

**NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT**

Our last announcement this morning brings us into sequel territory: 1990’s GATE II opens up on Blu-ray for the first time.

GATE II picks up again with Terry, the teenage sorcerer who summons beings from the other side whose powers can be used to grant any wish. Unfortunately, before the Gate closes again, a "minion" – a tiny disciple of Satan himself – manages to slip through to our dimension. When the creature is kidnapped – all hell breaks loose.

Many extras are in progress and will be announced at a later date. National street date is February 20th. However, pre-order now directly through us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=6534 to have the item ship two weeks early!
Old 10-30-17, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll admit, I can't remember a damn thing about The Gate II. I loved the first one though and have watched it twice since picking it up on blu ray. Is the follow up any good?
Old 10-30-17, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shout! has announced "Colossus - The Forbin Project" for the end of February 2018. Finally! I had the laserdisc double feature with "Silent Running", but it was in a pan-and-scan format. This will be the first time I'll see it in it's proper ratio. Terrific film about a super-computer that threatens to take over the world, -it's both dated and prescient.

Last edited by DWilson; 10-31-17 at 06:23 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.