DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/566699-one-only-shout-studios-scream-factory-blu-ray-thread.html)

Eric D. 08-24-10 04:07 PM

re: The One and Only Shout! Factory Blu-ray Thread

It's too bad they couldn't give us the theatrical cut in OAR and the unrated one in fullscreen like they did with Forbidden World.

NoirFan 08-24-10 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Eric D. (Post 10336031)
Hopefully Starcrash won't be the last of Shout's Corman on Blu. :(

I'm guessing Battle Beyond the Stars will receive a Blu-ray release, but that may be it.

M&J 08-25-10 04:04 AM

Just need to wait.

dom56 08-25-10 09:02 AM

I only got Galaxy of Terror on blu-ray and really enjoyed it and plan to purchase more of Roger Corman Classic. I do wish that Shout! put in English subtitles on all their dvd. I'm hearing impaired and I alway have subtitle turn on when watching a dvd on tv.

Toddarino 08-25-10 03:35 PM

Just a heads up for anyone waiting on a better price. Galaxy Of Terror is down to 16.49 at Amazon.

NoirFan 08-28-10 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino (Post 10339017)
Just a heads up for anyone waiting on a better price. Galaxy Of Terror is down to 16.49 at Amazon.

And Forbidden World is $15.99.

NoirFan 08-31-10 02:42 PM

The Starcrash Blu-ray is Highly Recommended, while the DVD receives the DVD Talk Collector's Series (!) designation. I'm disappointed to see that the 73-minute Munro interview contains no clips whatsoever. At that length, the viewer really needs brief breaks from a static talking head.

NoirFan 09-01-10 09:31 AM

DVD Verdict

OldBoy 09-01-10 01:31 PM

anybody know where Starcrash can be had at the cheapest? i would have Netflix'd it, but seems they won't be carrying it.

toddly6666 09-01-10 02:32 PM

Starcrash was one of the first movies I wanted to rent from Nicheflix.com, 8 years ago when the only good DVD release was the Italian PAL dvd.

NoirFan 09-03-10 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10350291)
anybody know where Starcrash can be had at the cheapest? i would have Netflix'd it, but seems they won't be carrying it.

$18.75 from DVD Empire, but you need to spend $25 to get free shipping, otherwise it's $1.98, though there's this coupon:

enter the code 1548537 at checkout to save 10% on your next order of $5 or more (Not valid on used, VOD or with any other offers, expires 10/01)
So your total would be $18.85 without the free shipping.

NoirFan 09-06-10 04:24 PM

DVD Beaver on Starcrash

NoirFan 09-11-10 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10337370)
I'm guessing Battle Beyond the Stars will receive a Blu-ray release, but that may be it.

Confirmed by Cliff on the AV Maniacs board as a 2011 Blu-ray.

NoirFan 09-15-10 04:51 PM

Blu-ray.com on Starcrash

OldBoy 09-16-10 03:50 PM

i'm so torn on StarCrash. all the reviews give it high marks for everything BUT the film itself and don't know if i can justify a blind buy on a movie i might not watch more than once. though i am very intrigued and want to see something so bad it is good.

Sessa17 09-16-10 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10375170)
i'm so torn on StarCrash. all the reviews give it high marks for everything BUT the film itself and don't know if i can justify a blind buy on a movie i might not watch more than once. though i am very intrigued and want to see something so bad it is good.

If you have to question a movie like this I say avoid it. Films like these are for those that can appreciate them for what they are & get enjoyment out of it. I find the movie to be fantastic fun that looks amazing on Blu-Ray but it is an absolute abomination of a film.

toddly6666 09-16-10 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598 (Post 10375170)

Buy it. You have over 1330 dvds in your collection which includes Howard the Duck and Killer Klowns. I dont think this is a big issue.

Let me put it this way, Starcrash is better than the Star Wars prequels and more creative than them. The only thing really bad about Starcrash is the acting. If this film was remade with the same script and same creative sets, it would be a good scifi flick. But the way these actors deliver their lines is pretty damn funny. Watch this film as a creatively done spoof, u will enjoy the film.

Furthermore, Starcrash is more rewatchable than Flash Gordon.

OldBoy 09-16-10 04:14 PM

^ yeah, HtD & Killer Klowns was for nostalgia sake and have yet to even put the new HtD in :(. but, your mini-review makes it more enticing then before and thanks. just wish i could find it at a B&M.

NoirFan 09-16-10 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 10375213)
Furthermore, Starcrash is more rewatchable than Flash Gordon.

Plus, it has two commentary tracks and well over two hours of extras, so there's plenty to explore there.

just wish i could find it at a B&M.
As I mentioned above, your best bet is $18.85 shipped from DVD Empire.

doctorthodt 09-16-10 04:26 PM

I saw a few copies of StarCrash at MovieStop for $19.99

OldBoy 09-16-10 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10375249)
As I mentioned above, your best bet is $18.85 shipped from DVD Empire.

it's "On Order" right now, but i think i am convinced.

toddly6666 09-16-10 04:32 PM

That Caroline Munro interview is endless, but is interesting. She says she turned down the louis lane character in Donner's Superman. She would have been a certainly hotter lois lane than margot kidder.

She is also chunky now. She is more of a hot looking homely housewife rather than being a milf.

NoirFan 09-16-10 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 10375271)
That Caroline Munro interview is endless, but is interesting.

I wish they had included a few clips or even stills to break up the visual monotony, but I'm assuming those were cost-prohibitive.

toddly6666 09-16-10 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 10375296)
I wish they had included a few clips or even stills to break up the visual monotony, but I'm assuming those were cost-prohibitive.

Exactly, that's all they had to do. She was talking about her whole resume. If they just flashed up some images of her old movies, i'm sure people would then seek out her other movies on blu-ray or dvd.

cdmac2007 09-17-10 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by toddly6666 (Post 10375588)
Exactly, that's all they had to do. She was talking about her whole resume. If they just flashed up some images of her old movies, i'm sure people would then seek out her other movies on blu-ray or dvd.

Except that we would have to clear every photo with the studio or photographer and that can get expensive especially clips from other films.