Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The One and Only Shout! Studios (and Scream Factory!) Blu-ray Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-10, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: The One and Only Shout! Factory Blu-ray Thread

the ultimate roger corman science-fiction classic makes its long-awaited debut for the first time in high-definition blu-ray™ and on dvd!

Shout! Factory presents starcrash

starring caroline munro, david hasselhoff, christopher plummer, joe spinell and marjoe gortner

2-disc special-edition blu-ray™ and dvd

digitally remastered and presented in widescreen for the first time with a galaxy’s worth of special features!

Crashing home entertainment shelves nationwide september 14, 2010 from shout! Factory

one of the most eagerly awaited inter-galactic science-fiction adventures, released by roger corman’s new world pictures, will finally be made available for the first time to the home entertainment shelves as starcrash, directed by luigi cozzi, will debut september 14, 2010 on 2-disc special edition blu-ray and dvd from shout! Factory, in association with new horizons picture corporation. An adventure like no other, the starcrash 2-disc special edition contains anamorphic widescreen presentation of the movie with dts hd 5.1 surround sound (blu-ray), a reversible cover featuring vintage art for original movie posters and a payload of bonus content including all-new interviews and commentaries with cast and crew, rare behind-the-scenes footage and much more! A must-have for loyal fans of roger corman and luigi cozzi, science fiction enthusiasts and collectors, starcrash 2-disc special edition blu-ray and dvd mark the latest installments from the popular roger corman’s cult classics home entertainment series from shout! Factory. Each special edition blu-ray and dvd is sold separately. Blu-ray is priced to own at $26.97; and dvd is available at $19.93.

Produced in italy in the wake of star wars’ phenomenal success, starcrash (also known as the adventures of stella star in overseas territories) became an international blockbuster in its own right. This 1979 film became one of new world pictures’ biggest box-office hits. Critics might have laughed, by so did audiences, who grooved to its campy humor, wildly imaginative special effects (some of them quite good!) and non-stop adventure. Where star wars dared not go, starcrash went — at warp speed!

The lasting peace of the galaxy is threatened by the diabolical and relentless count zarth arn (cult icon joe spinell, rocky, the godfather and the godfather - part ii), who is determined to take the universe for himself and make each planet his plaything, each inhabitant his slave. There is no question that the count is evil, given his propensity for cackling at every opportunity.

Can anyone save the universe from this megalomaniacal madman? Indeed there is, and she’s quite a beauty.

Brave, bikini-clad star warrior stella star (caroline munro, the spy who loved me, at the earth’s core) and her co-pilot akton (child evangelist-turned-actor marjoe gortner, food of the gods, mausoleum) are pressed into service to thwart the evil zarth arn’s plot. If they succeed, galactic peace will be achieved. If they fail, the universe will fall into decay and destruction at the hands of its sadistic new overlord.

Have no fear, because stella star is here!

The film’s zesty, star-studded cast also includes people’s choice award winner david hasselhoff (knight rider, baywatch) in one of his first big-screen roles, noted screen tough guy robert tessier (the longest yard, the cannonball run) and legendary two-time emmy® and tony® award winner, and academy award® nominee christopher plummer (the last station, murder by decree, the sound of music) as the emperor.

Starcrash was written and directed by fan favorite luigi cozzi (aka lewis coates), whose other cult masterworks include alien contamination (an “homage” to alien) and the unforgettable lou ferrigno vehicle hercules (an “homage” to conan the barbarian). The film also boasts a rousing score by five-time academy award® winner john barry (dances with wolves, out of africa, 10 james bond films).

Alas, starcrash would prove to be the only big-screen stella star adventure … but as its worldwide legion of fans will attest, it was one to remember!

Starcrash 2-disc special edition blu-ray and dvd bonus content

new anamorphic widescreen transfer (1.85:1) and dts hd 5.1 surround sound (blu-ray), dolby digital 5.1 surround sound (dvd)

disc one:
· interview with writer/director luigi cozzi
· starcrash: The music of john barry, a detailed analysis of the score by mars of deadhouse music
· 2 feature-length commentaries by starcrash historian stephen romano:
Commentary 1: The history of starcrash, the making of the film and its importance in 1970s fantastic cinema.
Commentary 2: Starcrash scene-by-scene: Production trivia, anecdotes and critical analysis.
· behind-the-scenes image gallery, featuring storyboards, art, and rare, never-before-seen photos!
· promotional art gallery, featuring photos, posters, lobby cards and early poster designs by drew struzan
· fan art gallery, featuring an exclusive look at the all-new, sexy stella star art from fantasy illustrator robin greenville evans
· theatrical trailer with commentary by eli roth from trailersfromhell.com and an all-new exclusive trailer commentary by filmmaker/editor joe dante!
· tv spots and radio spots

disc two
· interview with actress caroline munro (60 min.)
· 17 deleted and alternate scenes
· the complete, original starcrash screenplay, illustrated with original storyboards and early, full-color concept art
· exclusive 20-minute behind-the-scenes footage reel, with commentary
· the making of the special effects of starcrash by armando valcauda with exclusive, never-before-seen special-effects footage

shout! Factory will continue to present roger corman’s cult classics home entertainment releases on a monthly basis. Upcoming highlights include the slumber party massacre collection, the evil, twice dead, the warrior and the sorceress, barbarian queen, not of this earth, terror within, streets, angel in red, lady in red, crazy mama, big bad mama, among others.
wow!
Old 08-01-10, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Death Race 2000 and Forbidden World blu-rays are currently $15.49 at Amazon. That's the lowest price I've seen yet.
Old 08-01-10, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jackburton
death race 2000 and forbidden world blu-rays are currently $15.49 at amazon. That's the lowest price i've seen yet.
+ rock n roll high school
Old 08-01-10, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am in for Forbidden World, but sure wish they would throw Galaxy of Terror in there with the rest of the deals.
Old 08-02-10, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have picked up every Roger Corman blu-ray thus far except for Rock 'N Roll High School because I'm not a fan and my only complaint is the packaging. Every RC BD I've gotten the case is pretty flimsy and leaves marks on the BD. It's not a big deal because I can pretty much wipe them away. It is a minor annoyance though. Anyone else experience this?
Old 08-02-10, 09:23 PM

So slumber party massacre is getting a trilogy boxset dvd release in Oct, how come they're not released on blu ray?
Old 08-02-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
So slumber party massacre is getting a trilogy boxset dvd release in Oct, how come they're not released on blu ray?
http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...6&postcount=20
http://www.avmaniacs.com/forums/show...8&postcount=27
Old 08-03-10, 02:35 AM

bummer. Thanks for the links!
Old 08-03-10, 08:03 PM

I just ordered Piranha and Humanoids From the Deep. They should be here on thursday. I can not wait.
Old 08-05-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Watched "Humanoids From the Deep" for the first time in Widescreen on Tuesday. Awesome disc!
Old 08-05-10, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My local Wal-Mart has Piranha on DVD but no Blu
Old 08-05-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dvdbeaver on HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...ep_blu-ray.htm
Old 08-05-10, 08:55 PM

Blind bought Forbidden World on blu after going on sale at Amazon, and had such a good time with it that I decided to buy Piranha, Galaxy of Terror and Humanoids on blu also, regardless of price.

Skipped Rock n Roll High School and Death Race because they just don't seem to interest me as much. I'm only into the monster/sci fi stuff.
Old 08-06-10, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
dvdbeaver on HUMANOIDS FROM THE DEEP: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...ep_blu-ray.htm
Just watched this for the first time last night. It's been a long eight year wait. Keep in mind, as it may be expected, some of those shots could kill a first time viewing... (I didn't even know what the creatures looked like going in)

Buy or rent on the faith of the material alone. Skip the visual comparisons until after.

As for the film, Humanoids of the Deep is a lot of fun ...and definitely delivers!

Last edited by visitor Q; 08-06-10 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-06-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrStayPuft
Blind bought Forbidden World on blu after going on sale at Amazon, and had such a good time with it that I decided to buy Piranha, Galaxy of Terror and Humanoids on blu also, regardless of price.
I've bought all of the blu's released so far and am pre-ordering the rest as they become available. "Forbidden World" and "Galaxy of Terror" were both blind buys for me. I liked "Forbidden World" much better, but the extras on "Galaxy of Terror" don't make it a total loss.

I'll probably buy up the Cormans released only on standard DVD also, although I haven't picked up "Suburbia" yet because I'm pretty happy with my old copy. Upgrading "Rock 'n Roll High School" and "Death Race 2000" (which I already owned), were no-brainers.
Old 08-06-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty sure I'm gonna buy all of these eventually. Already have Death Race 2000 and just ordered Forbidden World since it went on sale on Amazon. Need the others as well eventually!
Old 08-07-10, 04:52 PM

I bought the Piranha BluRay yesterday. The second I opened it, something was off. The box felt and looked funny. Upon closer inspection, this was my first Vortex Eco-case. While not as bad as the Viva Elite Ecos, its still pretty shitty. It feels really flimsy and the plastic used for the cover side is so thin that it can't hold its shape so it was "caved in."

So, I took the cover art, flipped it, and put it in a Viva Elite. Now it looks awesome. The alternate cover rocks, the disc art rocks and theres even a booklet! Great presentation, can't wait to watch it.

Oh yeah, and the Vortex Eco is right where it belongs: in the garbage, with its Viva Elite Eco brothers.
Old 08-08-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two commentaries on Starcrash? Be still, my beating heart!
Old 08-15-10, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to this review of the Starcrash DVD, the Munro interview is 73 minutes, not 60.
Old 08-24-10, 12:32 AM

I was looking at the Piranha DVD at Best Buy today and I noticed that the slipcover said 1.85:1, while the case said 1.78:1. The Blu-ray also says 1.78:1. So, which is it? And what is it supposed to be?
Old 08-24-10, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I own all of the titles on BD now and am so happy with the love Shout is giving them. The extras are amazing and the booklets and cover art put it over the top. With that said, it's a damn shame that they are not selling well enough for them to release more on BD. I would have loved to have had The Slumber Party Massacre Trilogy in HD. Hopefully Starcrash won't be the last of Shout's Corman on Blu.
Old 08-24-10, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I've read, only the first movie of the Slumber trilogy will even be widescreen! If true, what a rip-off. I already have all 3 in FS.
Old 08-24-10, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
From what I've read, only the first movie of the Slumber trilogy will even be widescreen! If true, what a rip-off. I already have all 3 in FS.
Where did you read that?
Old 08-24-10, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Peep
Nope.

Cliff from Shout! Factory sez:

There are some great extras... and they'll be some new transfers.
I did the SLUMBER II transfer last night. New Anamorphic transfer from the IP.
However:

Question for Cliff: Will all three movies be in anamorphic widescreen?
Not the third film. The third one's master is unrated and if we went back to the film elements, I couldn't be sure that i'd be able to rebuild the uncut version since all the elements in the vault appear to be the theatrical version. Their run times don't match.
Old 08-24-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, so 1 + 2 in WS and 3 in FS? That's a little better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.