Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 12-17-09, 07:15 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an older Runco projector without digital inputs (no DVI, no HDMI) to which I would like to connect a Blu-Ray player (using a component to RGBHV converter). Most players will transmit HD through the component outputs for Blu-Ray discs but not for standard definition dvds. Are there any newer players that will upconvert SD DVDs through the component output?
Old 12-17-09, 08:27 AM

Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

Yes and No. Can the blu-ray player upconvert over component? Yes. Will it upconvert your studio movies? No. The reason is a copyright issue (I believe...at least a legal one that the studios are pushing). They only want you to upconvert over HDMI, so they made it so that any disc with the copyright protection on it (not sure of the exact name...DVD used to have Macrovision, so it could be that) will not upconvert unless it's going through HDMI. However, my wedding video that's on DVD upconverts over component just fine.

As with some players that could be hacked to remove macrovision, there may be some players that can be hacked to remove that limitation (or possibly an import from somewhere), but blu-ray manufacturers are supposed to make the players that way.
Old 12-18-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Is there a Blu-Ray Player that will upconvert DVDs through component output?

Standard players will not upcovert due to a provision in the CSS license.

An HTPC running Slysoft will, however.
Old 12-19-09, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Yes and No. Can the blu-ray player upconvert over component? Yes. Will it upconvert your studio movies? No. The reason is a copyright issue (I believe...at least a legal one that the studios are pushing). They only want you to upconvert over HDMI, so they made it so that any disc with the copyright protection on it (not sure of the exact name...DVD used to have Macrovision, so it could be that) will not upconvert unless it's going through HDMI.
The culprit is Macrovision. Most commercial DVDs have the Macrovision flag set, but Macrovision cannot be sent over 720p or 1080i/p signals, only 480i/p. Since it's required to send the Macrovision signal over any analog video output for Macrovision-protected discs, legally players cannot sent an upcoverted signal over component for these discs.

I don't think CSS plays into it, since CSS is about preventing digital copying of the disc data. Also, I think people have reported being able to upconvert CSS-protected discs that didn't have Macrovision.
Old 12-19-09, 09:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are a lot of smaller companies that will let you upconvert, but not the big guys.

Buy a HDFury 2 that connects to the back of your TV and gives you HDMI. Go to their site curtpalme.com and learn all about it.
Old 12-20-09, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
The culprit is Macrovision. Most commercial DVDs have the Macrovision flag set, but Macrovision cannot be sent over 720p or 1080i/p signals, only 480i/p. Since it's required to send the Macrovision signal over any analog video output for Macrovision-protected discs, legally players cannot sent an upcoverted signal over component for these discs.

I don't think CSS plays into it, since CSS is about preventing digital copying of the disc data. Also, I think people have reported being able to upconvert CSS-protected discs that didn't have Macrovision.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was probably Macrovision, but since I'm no expert, I didn't want to say for sure.
Old 12-20-09, 07:00 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by sparks
There are a lot of smaller companies that will let you upconvert, but not the big guys.

Do you mean smaller companies that make Blu Ray players or smaller companies that produce Blu-Ray discs? And which companies?
Old 12-20-09, 08:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No BD player will allow you to upconvert a DVD thru component unless it's one of the smaller companies that make DVDs such as older titles by Anchor Bay, new titles by Dark Sky, Passport Video, Synapse, Mill Creek, Echo Bridge, Roan, Severen, Simitar, etc. The large companies making DVDs such as MGM, WB will not allow you to unconvert thru component.

As I stated in my above post, if you purchase a HDFury 2 that connects to the back of your TV (plug and play), now gives you HDMI...which allows all DVDs to be upconverted...which I am now enjoying on my Mit CRT RPTV 65711 with component connections.

Good luck!

Last edited by sparks; 12-20-09 at 08:36 PM.