DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/565550-twilight-zone-series-blu-ray.html)

Gizmo 11-29-09 11:31 AM

Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Here's a little holiday treat for our readers in the US, and a special Thursday surprise for everyone else; our of our trusted sources has let us know that Image Entertainment has begun prepping The Twilight Zone for release on Blu-ray later in 2010. Those following the releases of the series may recall the "Definitive Edition" releases back in 2004/2005 were restored, and HD transfers were created. This release would mark the oldest series to receive the Blu-ray treatment, and serves as a reminder that it's not just new shows that can look great in HD.

While we haven't received any confirmation from the studio, we're fairly certain the information from our source is correct. Image Entertainment is giving classic TV fans a lot to be thankful for in 2010, first with the release of Thriller starring Boris Karloff, and now the rumored release of The Twilight Zone on Blu-ray.
I remember before Blu-ray and HD DVD launched there was plans for TZ on both formats but nothing ever happened. Hoping they went back, 3-4 years later, and did some more cleanup before they start releasing these.

TheJoker 11-29-09 12:19 PM

re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Awesome news!!!!

I need to sell my DVD sets then. The quality on those sets were amazing enough even on DVD.

riotinmyskull 11-29-09 12:20 PM

oh please please please....!!!!!

The Monkees 11-29-09 12:46 PM

As much as I enjoy the series, I couldn't care less about a BD release of it. I've already spent a couple hundred dollars buying the 5 seasons and I don't feel spending another couple hundred dollars on BD releases.

dvd-4-life 11-29-09 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees (Post 9861003)
As much as I enjoy the series, I couldn't care less about a BD release of it. I've already spent a couple hundred dollars buying the 5 seasons and I don't feel spending another couple hundred dollars on BD releases.

I agree 100 percent. Part of the charm of The Twilight Zone is that its an older series and it should have a grainy picture.

andicus 11-29-09 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life (Post 9861125)
I agree 100 percent. Part of the charm of The Twilight Zone is that its an older series and it should have a grainy picture.

Why can't a high-def image have grain?

riotinmyskull 11-29-09 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by andicus (Post 9861151)
Why can't a high-def image have grain?

i was thinking the same thing...

Trevor 11-29-09 03:20 PM

Torn on this. Bought a few of the early releases, then sprung for the complete series, still unopened.

If I could sell that set for close to what the blu-ray set will be, maybe....

Solid Snake 11-29-09 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9860957)
oh please please please....!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG....I can't believe this is so awesome.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 11-30-09 10:48 AM

I'll buy it after it will inevitably quickly have a good price drop at a store a month or so after it's released. I only managed to pick up the first few seasons on DVD.

Gizmo 11-30-09 10:53 AM

I'd be in at $40-$50 a season...but not much more.

Darknite39 11-30-09 12:42 PM

Sweet. Might have to finally bite, if the price is right. :)

Trevor 11-30-09 02:21 PM

Well this is odd. Went ahead and put my DVD set up on Amazon for $146. Amazon is selling it for $125, so figured it wouldn't sell, giving me time to think about whether I really wanted to wait and upgrade.

Somebody bought it an hour after I put it up. Why would they do that?

Gizmo 11-30-09 02:23 PM

People are dumb? It happens a lot.

Trevor 11-30-09 02:29 PM

I'm afraid its a scammer, buying from a seller so they can claim it never arrived or the box was empty.

Since I wasn't convinced of selling it anyway, I'm thinking of buying it from Amazon, but having it shipped to my buyer's address. Would that work?

Gizmo 11-30-09 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9862866)
I'm afraid its a scammer, buying from a seller so they can claim it never arrived or the box was empty.

Since I wasn't convinced of selling it anyway, I'm thinking of buying it from Amazon, but having it shipped to my buyer's address. Would that work?

I don't know if Amazon allows that though (if there is a problem later on - why would you buy and ship from Amazon.com selection and not your own?).

Does the person have any feedback?

Trevor 11-30-09 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9862888)
I don't know if Amazon allows that though (if there is a problem later on - why would you buy and ship from Amazon.com selection and not your own?).

Does the person have any feedback?

Brand new, she has no feedback.

Several reasons for my considering the switcheroo:
  1. I'd only get about $110 from Amazon after shipping/insurance.
  2. I'd actually make a $1 profit if I have Amazon ship it to her.
  3. Imagine less chance of headaches of a bad buyer if it comes directly from Amazon.
  4. Still not sure I want to wait for a possible Blu release and pay more than what I'm getting now.

Sorry for wasting thread space with my thinking out loud and indecisiveness, but I just have a bad feeling about this one.

If I just cancel the sale am I penalized/charged anything by Amazon?

Solid Snake 11-30-09 03:34 PM

I don't think so. Have you received payment?

Trevor 11-30-09 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9862974)
I don't think so. Have you received payment?

I don't think so, and the option to cancel shows up until you mark it sent.

On the one hand, this is a good chance to get a decent price for a set I'll likely upgrade to blu. And it's not like I've opened it in the year+ I've had it, or have a shortage of DVDs to watch in the meantime. This just screams 'scammer' to me for some reason.

As long as I get insurance, worst case scenario is that I have to fill out some paperwork, wait, and get reimbursed my $150, right?

What happens to me if the receiver claims to have received a box of rocks?

Solid Snake 11-30-09 04:40 PM

I'd start looking at the rule and whatnot on Public sellers and buyers. I've never done it through Amazon so my knowledge as to what can happen isn't fact just speculation.

Trevor 11-30-09 10:29 PM

Problem solved. Went to grab the set today and see that I had opened it at some point. Not sure why, pretty sure I never watched a disc. So since I had described it as sealed, figured I'd just cancel the order. Sorry for the thread derail everyone. Back to waiting for a blu-ray set!

macnorton 12-01-09 08:53 AM

This is some pretty awesome news. I would jump on this in a heart beat (even if there was no lossless audio). Now if we could see The Outer Limits, I would be a happy guy.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 12-01-09 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 9863055)
I don't think so, and the option to cancel shows up until you mark it sent.

On the one hand, this is a good chance to get a decent price for a set I'll likely upgrade to blu. And it's not like I've opened it in the year+ I've had it, or have a shortage of DVDs to watch in the meantime. This just screams 'scammer' to me for some reason.

As long as I get insurance, worst case scenario is that I have to fill out some paperwork, wait, and get reimbursed my $150, right?

What happens to me if the receiver claims to have received a box of rocks?

Late reply but where I used to work, we'd take a series of pictures as we packed items to ship, from start to finish. Final picture of the box with the mailing label.

Trevor 12-01-09 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers (Post 9864434)
Late reply but where I used to work, we'd take a series of pictures as we packed items to ship, from start to finish. Final picture of the box with the mailing label.

Thanks! Great idea, I'll use it in the future. But the receiver could take a series of pictures of opening your package, ending with it being empty/filled with rocks.

I'm really not paranoid, but there have been a lot of ebay/similar horror stories of dishonest buyers lately, and they always take the buyer's side no matter the evidence. And this lady paying $25 more than Amazon was charging just screamed 'fishy' to me.

MTRodaba2468 12-04-09 03:59 PM

This would be pretty cool if this got a Blu release.

My father has the Complete Series on DVD, but I'd be willing to pick up a Blu version for myself. The releases of both Star Trek and The Prisoner on Blu should silence anyone that thinks that older TV shows can't look excellent on Blu.