Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Old 04-28-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re: Twilight Zone (Series) on Blu-ray

Amazon has a Season 1 pre-order up for $70.
Old 04-28-10, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Haha. Good joke. $70. That's nuts.
Old 04-28-10, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Goddamn. That is kinda pricey. Maybe I'll just wait for another Complete Series set of the show on Blu, hope that it'll be cheaper to get it all at once than by each season, and just watch my dad's DVDs of the set in the meantime...

Good news, though; by revisiting this thread, I learned that Thriller starring Boris Karloff will be getting released on DVD. Both me and my friend will be thrilled to learn this...
Old 04-28-10, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

$70? For Season 1? That must be some kind of epic-joke.

I love Blu-ray, but for the first time in a while I'll just accept the DVD's until these are available as a complete series set for a significant discount. I paid $80~ish for the Complete Series DVD's.
Old 04-29-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I love how everyone is bitching at $70...that is about the price I paid per box of the first release. (The non-in-order "collectors sets")
I sprung for all of them at once and it was close to $350 for the 5 boxes...
Old 04-29-10, 04:20 PM

From Marc Scott Zicree: http://marczicree.wordpress.com/2010...htmare-at-mgm/

Richard Donner’s “Nightmare” at MGM
In Directors, Twilight Zone on March 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

Just finished doing the audio commentaries for THE TWILIGHT ZONE — fifty-two episodes, one third of the entire series!

One of the highlights (and there were many) was the commentary I recorded last week with Richard Donner, who directed “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” (as well as the LETHAL WEAPON movies, the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN, and Bruce Willis’ 16 BLOCKS). Richard Matheson wrote the episode, which starred a pre-STAR TREK William Shatner as a man who spies a gremlin sabotaging the engine of the passenger plane he’s flying on.

The entire episode was shot on an actual full-size airplane suspended over a tank on a soundstage. There were no wild walls, nothing – just amazing practical effects with rain, smoke standing in for clouds, lightning, wind. Amazing. It was shot in just two (very long) days, because on day two of what was supposed to be a three-day shoot Donner was told by the producer that a feature at Metro needed it for the next day, so Donner just kept shooting till dawn.

What an honor to be able to share these memories with Richard Donner, who’s still sharp as a tack, charming and very funny.

And now it’s on to the next adventure…

All good thoughts your way,
Marc
Old 04-30-10, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468

Good news, though; by revisiting this thread, I learned that Thriller starring Boris Karloff will be getting released on DVD. Both me and my friend will be thrilled to learn this...
This is the more exciting news to me...I'm hoping it turns out to be true.
Old 04-30-10, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpio
From Marc Scott Zicree: http://marczicree.wordpress.com/2010...htmare-at-mgm/

Richard Donner’s “Nightmare” at MGM
In Directors, Twilight Zone on March 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

Just finished doing the audio commentaries for THE TWILIGHT ZONE — fifty-two episodes, one third of the entire series!

One of the highlights (and there were many) was the commentary I recorded last week with Richard Donner, who directed “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” (as well as the LETHAL WEAPON movies, the Christopher Reeve SUPERMAN, and Bruce Willis’ 16 BLOCKS). Richard Matheson wrote the episode, which starred a pre-STAR TREK William Shatner as a man who spies a gremlin sabotaging the engine of the passenger plane he’s flying on.

The entire episode was shot on an actual full-size airplane suspended over a tank on a soundstage. There were no wild walls, nothing – just amazing practical effects with rain, smoke standing in for clouds, lightning, wind. Amazing. It was shot in just two (very long) days, because on day two of what was supposed to be a three-day shoot Donner was told by the producer that a feature at Metro needed it for the next day, so Donner just kept shooting till dawn.

What an honor to be able to share these memories with Richard Donner, who’s still sharp as a tack, charming and very funny.

And now it’s on to the next adventure…

All good thoughts your way,
Marc
So, this doesn't exactly come right out and say it, but I assume these audio commentaries aren't on the current DVD set, correct? Meaning they'll be an added bonus for the BD set? If so, awesome. Glad I never bought the DVDs.
Old 04-30-10, 07:41 PM
Suspended

Might as well skip these Blu-rays for the next Blu-ray set. Shit it's been re-released on DVD like 3 times already.
Old 04-30-10, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm curous about a BD release. I'm sure the show would benefit greatly from the increased resolution, but I don't feel like dropping another $100 on each season. I'm happy with the DVD sets... for now.
Old 04-30-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

I'd definitely want these on blu-ray at some point, but I can certainly get by on my dvd set for a couple years until they come down to $30 a season or so.
Old 04-30-10, 08:26 PM
Suspended

That's even if the complete series comes out...I'm afraid Image might be toast before they release all the seasons.
Old 05-01-10, 08:16 PM

I never got around to buying TZ on dvd (even though I wanted to). I'd like to get the seasons on blu, but I'll wait until the price comes down on each.
Old 06-05-10, 11:49 PM

Is this really necessary? I mean, given the source material and the poor technical conditions/budget utilized to shoot this, will Blu-Ray make enough of a difference to get people to rebuy? Other than missing out on probably sparse at best new bonus features, I'm quite content with the picture and audio quality on the DVDs as it is. It's actually surprisingly good, considering. I'll be the first to rebuy older movies on Blu-Ray (provided they're not DNR'ed within an inch of their lives), but I think this is a bit ridiculous now.
Old 06-06-10, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How can you possibly call it ridiculous without even knowing what it looks like?
Old 06-06-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the remastered S1 & 2 sets and am fine with those, but I'd probably complete the series on Blu if the price was right, and $70 a pop ain't it. I'll wait until S3-5 they hit the $40 mark, if, as Gizmo notes, Image is even around that long.
Old 06-06-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Twilight Zone is one of my favorite series of all time. Each episode is pretty predictable, but the writing and acting, just the all around execution really, are top notch. That being said, I don't really think I'm willing to bite on these season at $70 a pop. Hell, even at $50 it'd be a hefty bite. I purchased the collections that were not chronological at all, the complete series worth. I then bought the remastered DVD seasons, and they look pretty damn good, even on my HDTV. For these to be enticing enough to get my money, they'd have to be $40 a season, tops. $35 would be a VERY nice price point, though.
Old 06-06-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JckRbbitSlim
I mean, given the source material and the poor technical conditions/budget utilized to shoot this
What, exactly, do you mean by this? What is the issue with the source material? What are these "poor technical conditions" you're talking about?
Old 06-06-10, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is this really necessary? I mean, given the source material and the poor technical conditions/budget utilized to shoot this, will Blu-Ray make enough of a difference to get people to rebuy?
Yes, it is...
It was shot on FILM, which has a higher resolution than standard definition DVD, therefore a BD release will look better as it can more accurately capture and display what was shot.....
Look at Star Trek...another old series, shot on FILM, that looks much better on BD than DVD....

Now if TZ had been shot on videotape like some 80's sitcom, then of course a BD release would be virtually pointless...
Old 06-06-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Yes, it is...
It was shot on FILM, which has a higher resolution than standard definition DVD, therefore a BD release will look better as it can more accurately capture and display what was shot.....
Look at Star Trek...another old series, shot on FILM, that looks much better on BD than DVD....

Now if TZ had been shot on videotape like some 80's sitcom, then of course a BD release would be virtually pointless...
There are a handful of episodes that were shot on video and they don't look too spectacular. Fortunately they realized this and went back to film.
Old 06-06-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

This reminds me of a conversation I had with someone before The Wizard of Oz came out on Blu-ray:

"Why is The Wizard of Oz getting a Blu-ray release?"

"Because one of most beloved films of all time perhaps?"

"Yeah but what difference does it make, it wasn't shot in high-def."

*smackshead*

People who don't follow this HD stuff (which is the majority of consumers out there, at least on the level we're talking about here), haven't the slightest idea what high definition truly is. The Twilight Zone looks marvelous on DVD (the remastered ones do, at least), and I'm sure they'll look quite stunning Blu-ray because yes, they were shot on film.
Old 06-06-10, 05:08 PM

Some of you have missed my point, and yes, I was referring to the period in which this was shot on video (Second Season). Perhaps I am simply content with the already (as mzupeman2 correctly pointed out) "marvelous" picture quality. The Twilight Zone is my favorite anthology television show but I can not see paying all over again for meager added commentary tracks and increased resolution. The complete set is quite exquisite as it is (with phenomenal extras) and I'll save money towards purchasing other sets. Each to his own I suppose. (And for the record, Wizard of Oz does look great.)
Old 06-06-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can not see paying all over again for meager added commentary tracks and increased resolution.
You could apply this reasoning to basically any Blu-Ray. But thanks for sharing your plans I guess.
Old 06-06-10, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Some of you have missed my point, and yes, I was referring to the period in which this was shot on video (Second Season).
You failed to mention this in your post.

The Definitive Collection looks great but I'm willing to bet a blu-ray version would be awesome. But I will wait for a nice sale before jumping in again for a full collection.
Old 06-06-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of you have missed my point, and yes, I was referring to the period in which this was shot on video (Second Season).
You're going to focus on the 6 episodes that were shot on video vs. the 150 others that weren't?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.