Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

1st BD Player - What to look for? (Kinda long post, sorry)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

1st BD Player - What to look for? (Kinda long post, sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 04:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st BD Player or HDTV? - What to look for? (Kinda long post, sorry)

First off, I am on a very limited budget, and because of that I don't have any fancy HDTV, let alone an HDTV. What I do have though (not sure if mentioning these specifics matter or not, but it cant hurt) currently is..

TV: Toshiba 20AF44 (20" Flat Screen CRT TV)

DVD Player: Philips DVP3960 - Got it on sale a walmart, nothing special, but it does upconvert to 1080i. Unfortunatly my TV doesn't not have HDMI inputs, so I am unable to take advantage of that right now. But even with using componet inputs, the DVD's do look a lot better than my previous player (which wasn't half bad in itself actually).

What I am looking for though, is a decent quality Blu-Ray player that has the best bang for the buck. With my limited budget, I am looking to keep the price below $150 - $160. Now, what is also a limitation is that I don't have a checking/savings account, nor do I have any credit cards (thus, no paypal). So buying online is severely limited unless they accept money orders. (Though, I might be able to have a friend order for me with their credit card, but im trying not to be dependent on that.

What else add's to my limitation is I live in a very small town in Arizona. As far as any electronic stores, all that is here is (1 of each I might add): Radio Shack, Staples, Wal-Mart and K-Mart. Unless I do a 60 mile round trip for a Target store, or take a 2 1/2hr drive up to Vegas (which im not willing to do just for that).

I don't know anyone that has a Blu-Ray player, so I don't know exactly what I should or shouldn't look for in one. Some of the intricacies of DVD's I don't even understand yet. Like what "Anamorphic" means as far as quality. I just know its widescreen and better. Nor do I know what the layering on DVD's means (single layer, dual layer). And with not having a HDTV, im sure theres still plenty more that I need to learn still.

I did read in another post about suggestions on a Blu-Ray player, and someone mentioned that amazon has a Samsung BD-P1600-A $149.99, and a Sony BDPS360 also $149.99. (but being able to buy online isn't a guarantee for me.. just a possibility and I don't want to depend on that)

Would there be any difference between the two other than make and model? (Keep in mind that as of currently, I wont be able to make use of the HDMI output, so it will be strictly component usage).

I really don't know what to look for, and I don't want to do a blind buy either.

Sorry for the long, boring and detailed post. But I figure the more details I give, the better suggestions I would get from you guys.

Thanks!

Last edited by Skyclad01; 11-22-09 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Title addemdum
Old 11-20-09, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: 1st BD Player - What to look for? (Kinda long post, sorry)

The big thing is reliability and disc support, and most seem to be pretty good about that right now.

I just bought an LG player last night from Best Buy for $129 (online deal, did in store pickup). It loads quick-ish, is dead silent and does Netflix and a few other online services. Playback is fantastic and it doesn't sound like it's eating a small child when it opens (the Samsungs do, though I love those as well.)

Still, I think you'd be better off putting the funds toward a nice HDTV first, you won't see much of a difference on an SD. Unless you just want it to be future proof... in which case I do recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...611B49TM2HXYNY
Old 11-20-09, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I concur with RichC2 in part. Save for a TV.

Based on your info - and if I were you (which I'm not) - my initial thoughts are that there's really no benefit to a BD player right now for you.

If funds are a bit tight - and we've all been there - why would you want to buy a new player just to pay more for discs that aren't going to give you any significant visual improvement? Probably not what you want to hear, but from a fiscal standpoint it seems to make sense.

My advice: save for an HD set first. You'll be wowed by the way your SD discs look upconverted, and then the next logical leap would be a BD player.

The downside to a new HDTV, however, is that your SD television broadcast signal won't look that good, and you'll want to find an HD broadcast provider to make that new TV wow you. And then you'll want to upgrade your audio system. It never ends, my friend. Welcome to the addiction.

That's my .02 cents...

Last edited by Pointyskull; 11-20-09 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-20-09, 08:40 AM

My original plan was to buy a 27" HDTV after Christmas, but unfortunately im not going to have the money for it as hoped. Nor do I know when I will have enough money to get one. So thats why I would be getting a Blu-Ray.

No Best Buy for me. Nearest one would be an hour and a half drive up to Vegas. But that one you linked to seems ok.

Also, another thing I forgot to mention is that I wouldn't be using the Blu-Ray for netflix or anything like that (well maybe youtube). Just firmware updates though
Old 11-20-09, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Save your money for a solid HDTV, and definitely bigger than 27" unless you're sitting a few feet from it.
Old 11-20-09, 09:01 AM

If I were to get a HDTV, it would be for my bedroom (hence 27"). And watching it from sitting at my desk, I wouldn't be more than 3-4 feet from it, and if im watching it from my bed, then it would be a good 5-6 feet away.

Unfortunately though, im not going to have the money for an 27" HDTV for some time. (Between jobs, living with parents, etc.)

Last edited by Skyclad01; 11-20-09 at 09:04 AM.
Old 11-20-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

May be out of your price range, but rumors have it that Target's black friday special ($248, 32" Westinghouse LCD HDTV) will be available online if you want to try your luck.
Old 11-20-09, 02:48 PM

I don't see the point of going blu if you're only going to be connecting to a 20" SDTV. You're far better off saving for a HDTV than spending any money on blu right now. After you've gotten a HDTV, then you save for a BD player and you will likely benefit from lower prices on players as well.
Old 11-20-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

A Blu-ray player is basically worthless without an HDTV.
Old 11-20-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
A Blu-ray player is basically worthless without an HDTV.
Like everyone else...I'm agreeing with this.

Without an HDTV, blu-ray will be worthless to you. Since you're on a limited budget...you'll get the player home, hook it up, look at the picture...and then immediately have buyers regret.

Don't do it.

Save for an HDTV first.
Old 11-20-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Skyclad01
If I were to get a HDTV, it would be for my bedroom (hence 27"). And watching it from sitting at my desk, I wouldn't be more than 3-4 feet from it, and if im watching it from my bed, then it would be a good 5-6 feet away.

Unfortunately though, im not going to have the money for an 27" HDTV for some time. (Between jobs, living with parents, etc.)
well with that situation, maybe you shouldn`t buy anything at the moment and SAVE money!!
Old 11-20-09, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by JayDerek
Like everyone else...I'm agreeing with this.

Without an HDTV, blu-ray will be worthless to you. Since you're on a limited budget...you'll get the player home, hook it up, look at the picture...and then immediately have buyers regret.

Don't do it.

Save for an HDTV first.

That seems to be the major consensus here. So till I get an HDTV, I'll skip getting a Blu-Ray player until then.

I appreciate everyones help.. Thank you.
Old 11-20-09, 07:07 PM

A Blu-ray player is also pretty much worthless with a 27" HDTV.
Old 11-20-09, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by kingtopher
A Blu-ray player is also pretty much worthless with a 27" HDTV.
This is not meant in the wrong way.. just a question, but is that just a biased opinion, or is that an actual fact? I mean I know I wont be seeing as much detail as I would on a 42". But still, wouldn't there be a better picture regardless?.. Better clarity and overall picture? (I would add definition, but thats kinda canon with a 27". But that aside anyways)
Old 11-21-09, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is not meant in the wrong way.. just a question, but is that just a biased opinion, or is that an actual fact? I mean I know I wont be seeing as much detail as I would on a 42". But still, wouldn't there be a better picture regardless?.. Better clarity and overall picture? (I would add definition, but thats kinda canon with a 27". But that aside anyways)
It's a factor of screen size and viewing distance. I can easily see the difference with a 24-inch computer monitor, but in that case, I'm sitting only 2-3 feet back. Most people assume a 9- or 10-foot or so viewing distance no matter the size, and that's why they say you need a certain size for HD. If you were actually willing to sit about 5 feet or so away, you would see the difference with 27", but that's not practical for many people.

Also, that's just for picture sharpness (as in resolution). There's also better colors, but I don't know if that benefit is worth it if you can't see the sharpness difference.
Old 11-21-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With players getting better and cheaper why get one now. My vote is for the TV.
Old 11-21-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What? Like TVs aren't getting better and cheaper too? Those LEDs should be coming down in price as time goes on.
Old 11-21-09, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
What? Like TVs aren't getting better and cheaper too? Those LEDs should be coming down in price as time goes on.
Yes but he'd get the benefits of a TV right away where the money for a player would be limited to future use
Old 11-21-09, 09:26 PM

Being between jobs right now, my ability to buy a 27" HDTV is pretty much nil to none. Unless I can find a decent 27" between $150 and $200.

Or hell, maybe even get a 22" 1080p HDTV for the same price range as said Blu-Ray? (wouldn't get a 20" HDTV cause actual screen size is 19" and thats one inch less than my 20" flat screen CRT) But I wouldn't have the money for that till after Christmas unfortunately.

So the real question is.. Do I go ahead and get a Blu-Ray player now cause its in my price range, and benefit from it later when I can afford a 27" HDTV?

Or for when I am able to get a HDTV (which would be 27" max, and which some have said that I still wouldn't get much benefit out of a Blu-Ray), go ahead and get a 22"-23" instead of said Blu-Ray and benefit from having a HDTV (regardless of screen size) and get a HDMI cable and utilize the DVD upscaling feature from my DVD player?

Last edited by Skyclad01; 11-21-09 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-22-09, 11:26 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So the real question is.. Do I go ahead and get a Blu-Ray player now cause its in my price range, and benefit from it later when I can afford a 27" HDTV?
No. By the time you can take advantage of Blu-ray the players will be lowered priced. You'll be able to get a better player at that time for less money or with more features - or both.
Old 11-22-09, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jim
No. By the time you can take advantage of Blu-ray the players will be lowered priced. You'll be able to get a better player at that time for less money or with more features - or both.

Ultimately, the same could be said for HDTV's as well.
Old 11-22-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just save for a TV, getting a BD player for your TV is like putting a corevette engine in a VW beetle.
Old 11-22-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Being between jobs right now, my ability to buy a 27" HDTV is pretty much nil to none. Unless I can find a decent 27" between $150 and $200.

Or hell, maybe even get a 22" 1080p HDTV for the same price range as said Blu-Ray? (wouldn't get a 20" HDTV cause actual screen size is 19" and thats one inch less than my 20" flat screen CRT) But I wouldn't have the money for that till after Christmas unfortunately.

Or for when I am able to get a HDTV (which would be 27" max, and which some have said that I still wouldn't get much benefit out of a Blu-Ray), go ahead and get a 22"-23" instead of said Blu-Ray and benefit from having a HDTV (regardless of screen size) and get a HDMI cable and utilize the DVD upscaling feature from my DVD player?
like i said before, with your financial situation you shouldn`t purchase anything and save money!
Old 11-22-09, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by philip74
like i said before, with your financial situation you shouldn`t purchase anything and save money!

Thats fair. But im not losing anything by spending either.
Old 11-22-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Yes but he'd get the benefits of a TV right away where the money for a player would be limited to future use
Crap, I read through this and realized he doesn't have the 27" TV yet.

Get the TV first, definitely (when you can afford it).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.