Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Park Chan-wook's Vengeance Trilogy -- March, 2010 from Palisades/Tartan

Originally Posted by doraemon10
Someone reported on blu-ray.com they got a regular box version of this, anyone else get one of these? Anyone have pictures? They also mentioned the audio is also not corrected on this release.
That person also mentioned that no uncompressed audio was listed for Oldboy on the bottom of the trilogy case or on the back of the movie case.

When I received my tin last week, I also noticed that the back of the movie case did not list uncompressed audio. So I also have a feeling that the discs might not be replaced so easily, especially based on what I have read elsewhere: that since the PQ took a bit of a hit to squeeze in the 3.5 hour doc, it wouldn't be possible to have both the doc and uncompressed audio on one disc. Any replacement would probably require Oldboy to be a 2-disc set. But who knows, maybe if they eliminate the other language tracks they'll be able to fit it in.
Old 06-22-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
That person also mentioned that no uncompressed audio was listed for Oldboy on the bottom of the trilogy case or on the back of the movie case.

When I received my tin last week, I also noticed that the back of the movie case did not list uncompressed audio. So I also have a feeling that the discs might not be replaced so easily, especially based on what I have read elsewhere: that since the PQ took a bit of a hit to squeeze in the 3.5 hour doc, it wouldn't be possible to have both the doc and uncompressed audio on one disc. Any replacement would probably require Oldboy to be a 2-disc set. But who knows, maybe if they eliminate the other language tracks they'll be able to fit it in.
I had read that the guy from Palasades Tartan said over on bluray.com that there was enough space left over that all they had to do was remove the Lossy DD 5.1 English track to have room for the Lossless track. Of course, he also said that the non tin versions would probably have the corrected discs, so who knows.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 06-22-10 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-20-10, 10:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

is there any update at all with this set in terms of corrected discs or anything? i am still eager to get this set, but don't want the bad audio for whatever the problems were...
Old 09-20-10, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It isn't bad audio, it's just that "Old Boy" wasn't lossless. No news on a corrected set yet, other than that one of the guys from the company is really sorry about this and that he's as pissed as we are, and he's trying his best to get this corrected.
Old 09-27-10, 11:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by Kory
It isn't bad audio, it's just that "Old Boy" wasn't lossless. No news on a corrected set yet, other than that one of the guys from the company is really sorry about this and that he's as pissed as we are, and he's trying his best to get this corrected.
thanks Kory. swas that the only problem as i thought there was more than 1? is lossless a huge difference over lossy?
Old 09-27-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
thanks Kory. swas that the only problem as i thought there was more than 1? is lossless a huge difference over lossy?
I think there was a glitching/correct discs in package problem with Lady Vengeance as well.
Old 09-27-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is there any update at all with this set in terms of corrected discs or anything? i am still eager to get this set, but don't want the bad audio for whatever the problems were...
I wouldn't hold my breath for a corrected disc with lossless audio on Oldboy.

I had a bad feeling when the second run of the sets started appearing with, instead of corrected discs, packaging that had the lossless removed from the specs. Now the most current email from the guy at Palisades Tartan doesn't fill me with much confidence that it will be corrected:

"I have no update. I was assured these would have been replaced by now and I am doing my best to make that happen but I have very little control over it, or at least less than I thought. I am certain they will be replaced and as soon as I know anything you will as well."
Old 09-27-10, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Grrr... The whole issue with the missing lossless track is the reason why I haven't bought this. I'm waiting for this crap to get fixed first...
Old 09-28-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A few copies had the wrong disc for one of the films included in them, but that wasn't an extremely widespread problem and is easily fixed by an exchange at the store where you purchased it.

IMO, lossless isn't a huge difference over lossy if you don't have a receiver and sound system that can support lossless, but the difference is noticeable if you do have the proper equipment.
Old 01-13-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update!

First of all, Alliance has released the trilogy in Canada and it is identical to the Palisades version...except Oldboy has the lossless track on it, in addition to the contents of the US version. Maybe there was room for it all along?

2nd, Palisades Tartan has finally responded to a few people that emailed them about replacement disks, they now have an answer, and it isn't a replacement program.

You can email them about it, and instead of having to send your oldboy disk to them, they will send, free of charge, a copy of the first Oldboy Blu-ray (which did have a 7.1 DTS-HD MA track). So this way you would have another disk, in addition to the trilogy set.

Not an ideal solution, but it's nice they're doing something.

*Contact info: http://www.tartanvideo.com/Contact.asp

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 01-15-11 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-13-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the update, emailed
Old 01-13-11, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Well, that's a shitty solution. Sounds like the answer is to get the Canadian release. Unfortunately, I already have the Palisades Tartan one.
Old 01-13-11, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

What's the difference between the trilogy Old Boy disc and the standalone Old Boy disc? Can I use it as a drop-in replacement into my Trilogy set?
Old 01-13-11, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

standalone doesn't have all the features.
Old 01-14-11, 11:33 PM

You sure the Canadian release has lossless? I bought it on the amazon.ca boxing week sale and noticed Old Boy had different audio specs listed on the back of the box than the other 2 movies. Haven't played it myself yet but it looked odd when compairing the listing for each movie.
Old 01-14-11, 11:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I have the Canadian set. I watched Oldboy the other day, but I honestly don't remember if the track was lossless or not. I'll double check...

edit: yup! 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio. Lossless. I played it, and TMT5 confirms it, as well as my Onkyo 606 receiver.

There are three Korean language options (2.0, 5.1, and Lossless 7.1), and two English dubs (2.0 and 5.1). Two subtitle tracks (English and French), and three commentaries.

Upon close inspection, the outer cardboard case says Oldboy has a "DTS HR" track, but the individual sleeve also confirms the DTS-HD Master Audio. Given that this is an Alliance release here, I'm not at all surprised.

Last edited by Dan; 01-15-11 at 12:03 AM.
Old 01-14-11, 11:56 PM

According to the blu-ray.com review, the Autobiography of Oldboy doc on the canadian disc is only 30 min (?) when it should be 3hrs+ so its not quite identical to the US disc. still Id pick lossless audio over that. I too will contact palisades tartan for a free replacement Oldboy disc!
Old 01-15-11, 12:07 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

That Blu-ray.com review is wrong. I'm watching the documentary right now, and I just skipped ahead to the 3 hour, 20 minute mark. Total length is 3:29:37.

edit: if there are any other questions about this set, let me know. I can't compare it directly to the US set, but I can confirm or deny the existence of any features people are looking for.
Old 01-15-11, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I've never bought a Canadian release from Canada (the only Canadian version of a movie, Ginger Snaps, was bought in the states). Is Amazon.ca the best place to pick this up?
Old 01-15-11, 01:21 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Unfortunately, yes... and expect to pay $10 or $11 for shipping.
With the exchange rate being what it is, you're looking at paying $52 to $60 for this set.
Old 01-15-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
Unfortunately, yes... and expect to pay $10 or $11 for shipping.
With the exchange rate being what it is, you're looking at paying $52 to $60 for this set.
Nah, INetVideo's got it for $39.99 + probably $4.95 s/h since it's a "boxset". The code SHIP15 will chip away at some of that.

http://www.inetvideo.com/Items/N01-0138577
Old 01-15-11, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

I must confess I've not heard of INetVideo but the price is tempting.
Old 01-15-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I must confess I've not heard of INetVideo but the price is tempting.
They're trustworthy, though it takes a little while for stuff to come. Last thing I ordered from them was 21 Grams on Blu-ray last summer, and, if I recall correctly, it took a little over a week-and-a-half to arrive.
Old 01-15-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, iNetVideo is a good and very reliable merchant. Have ordered from them multiple times.

What's funny about Amazon.ca is while their shipping prices are insane, I actually got release-day delivery on a title from them this week (with standard shipping). I pre-ordered Mr. Nobody a couple months ago and it arrived on my doorstep this past Tuesday, the day it came out. And I live in Florida.
Old 01-15-11, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
That Blu-ray.com review is wrong. I'm watching the documentary right now, and I just skipped ahead to the 3 hour, 20 minute mark. Total length is 3:29:37.
OK cool. the inclusion of 7.1 dts and 3.5 hr doc doesnt effect the PQ that much does it?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.