Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

worth going Blu ?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

worth going Blu ?

Old 11-17-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: worth going Blu ?

Originally Posted by mars396 View Post
I am not as concerned about BD-Live, NetFlix or YouTube as I am about having a player that works.

I keep reading horror stories about players that can't read the latest Blu-rays.

I suppose if I get a 2009 model from a real company with a UBS port and LAN connectivity, I will be able to continuously update the firmware ?

I'd hate to have to buy a new player to be able to play the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern Blu-ray, for example.
I think the Panasonic players are good. You can get a BD60 for $130 or a BD80 for $182 at Amazon now (I'm not clear on the differences). Either of those will allow you to update the firmware online.
Old 11-17-09, 11:10 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am heading out Black Friday.

I am getting the Samsung BD-P1600-A $149.99, or if they are all gone, the Sony BDPS360 also $149.99
Old 11-17-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I am heading out Black Friday.

I am getting the Samsung BD-P1600-A $149.99, or if they are all gone, the Sony BDPS360 also $149.99
Not sure where you are located, but Fry's has the S360 + 2 Blu-rays for $138.
Old 11-17-09, 11:56 AM
Cool New Member

NJ

no Fry's here

I see the S360 on thier website for $189.99
Old 11-17-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

NJ

no Fry's here

I see the S360 on thier website for $189.99
In-store the price is different. It's been $138 + 2 free titles for a few weeks now where I am. Oh well.
Old 11-17-09, 02:42 PM

adding my 2 cents late, as someone who only recently went blu...

it's not the size of the TV or the resolution (I'm also on a 37" screen and only play stuff in 720p, though I could do 1080i it looks better proscan)
I find what it's about is the brightness and color depth. colorbanding on upconverted stuff was starting to get on my nerves.

also, get a player with Netflix streaming capability!! That is the single coolest tv-related invention since DVDs themselves. That added ability may also help you justify buying in to Blu, considering a Roku box for Netflix alone would be around $100.
Old 11-19-09, 10:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 191 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceknight View Post
also, get a player with Netflix streaming capability!! That is the single coolest tv-related invention since DVDs themselves. That added ability may also help you justify buying in to Blu, considering a Roku box for Netflix alone would be around $100.
Second this. I was a slow convert to Netflix, but now think that streaming is the best thing since the toaster.

And back to the main question, I'd also say to go for it. With all the crazy deals out there, you can often get the blu-rays for cheaper than the DVDs. and you'll probably have a bigger TV someday, right?
Old 11-19-09, 10:39 AM

my main problem is that my receiver is SO old, it doesn't have optical inputs, let alone HDMI. So most of the BR players out there won't work - I would either need to get a new receiver, or get a higher end BR player with analog outputs.

I tend to buy high-end stuff that last for decades. My receiver is over 10 years old, so I guess it's time. I have my heart set on the OPPO BR player actually.

But either way, we are talking hundreds of dollars that I don't have right now.
Old 11-19-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
my main problem is that my receiver is SO old, it doesn't have optical inputs, let alone HDMI. So most of the BR players out there won't work - I would either need to get a new receiver, or get a higher end BR player with analog outputs.

I tend to buy high-end stuff that last for decades. My receiver is over 10 years old, so I guess it's time. I have my heart set on the OPPO BR player actually.

But either way, we are talking hundreds of dollars that I don't have right now.
If you buy a high-end player with analog outs, then the PLAYER can handle the audio conversion and pass it right onto your reciever, with no need to upgrade it.

A "high-end" BD player is only in the range of $200 so that isn't a crazy amount of money. Ask some of the earliest BD adopters how much they paid for their now-obsolete decks to make yourself feel better about this price.
Old 11-19-09, 07:53 PM

Do you have digital coaxial inputs? You can get an optical-to-coaxial converter from Monoprice.com for $11.
Old 11-19-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Not sure where you are located, but Fry's has the S360 + 2 Blu-rays for $138.
Do Sony dvd remotes work with Sony blu-ray players? I asked that question in the Home gear forum and didn't get one response. I find it hard to believe that no one that read the thread had a Sony dvd remote and a Sony Blu-ray player.
Old 11-20-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GHackmann View Post
Do you have digital coaxial inputs? You can get an optical-to-coaxial converter from Monoprice.com for $11.
Still wouldn't help him hear lossless audio from Blu-ray Discs....
Old 11-20-09, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
Still wouldn't help him hear lossless audio from Blu-ray Discs....
That's true, but at least he could have some kind of audio. My receiver only has a coax digital and an optical input. I don't get lossless, but at least I was able to upgrade to blu. Someone who doesn't have an optical input on their receiver is out of luck in getting blu period, unless they wanted to spend the money (which more than likely they can't). I'm fine with my optical input. The only thing that bums me out, is that there isn't a coax digital output. Since my TV only does component, and only has one input, I was hoping to eventually get the video selector from monoprice that has a remote (I know it's not much, but I'm practically broke, right now until my wife finds a stable job). It has digital coax inputs, which would be great to hook up my digital set-top box, blu-ray player, and my PC (which has a coax digital out). But since the blu-ray player doesn't have a coax digital out, I can't do that. But oh well. I can still run all the audio separately to my receiver with no problem.
Old 11-20-09, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim View Post
If you buy a high-end player with analog outs, then the PLAYER can handle the audio conversion and pass it right onto your reciever, with no need to upgrade it.

A "high-end" BD player is only in the range of $200 so that isn't a crazy amount of money. Ask some of the earliest BD adopters how much they paid for their now-obsolete decks to make yourself feel better about this price.
wow! Can you recommend a good BR player w/analog outputs?
Old 11-20-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by obidawsn View Post
That's true, but at least he could have some kind of audio. My receiver only has a coax digital and an optical input. I don't get lossless, but at least I was able to upgrade to blu. Someone who doesn't have an optical input on their receiver is out of luck in getting blu period, unless they wanted to spend the money (which more than likely they can't).

How exactly does not having an optical input on someone's receiver prevent them from getting Blu-ray?
You can always just hook up the player via the red & white stereo RCA outputs, either to the TV directly or to the receiver, and just have the player downmix the audio....that would give you "some kind of audio"....
Old 11-20-09, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post

How exactly does not having an optical input on someone's receiver prevent them from getting Blu-ray?
You can always just hook up the player via the red & white stereo RCA outputs, either to the TV directly or to the receiver, and just have the player downmix the audio....that would give you "some kind of audio"....
Likely that he has his DVD player connected to his receiver with 5.1 analog outs. If he goes to BD, not only won't he be able to use the new losless audio, but his 5.1 goes by the wayside as well. I can totally understand not going that direction.
Old 11-20-09, 12:08 PM

wow! Can you recommend a good BR player w/analog outputs?
I can't say that I know off hand, I am not such an expert on every BD model, but I am sure one of our BD-geniuses here can recommend something.
I know players are available in that price range because I do not have an HDMI capable receiver, so I was looking for one to use with my receiver which has 5.1 analogs.
Old 11-20-09, 12:18 PM

folks, not be arrogant here, but I have been living with 5.1 audio for 10 years. moving 'up' to blue and going 'down' to red/white stereo is not an option for me. That just doesn't make sense to me.

I appreciate all the advice, but I need to find an affordable solution that will allow me to take advantage of the better PQ and AQ.

it looks like getting a BR player with analog outputs is probably the way to go..

Thanks..
Old 11-20-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

GO BLU!!

Despite the TV this year will be good as any for several reasons to go BLU. I forsee good deals across the board for players as retailers will advertise excellent deals to get product, especially electronics, out the door.

But even better there are some price wars coming with DVD and BD between major players like Walmart and Amazon so get ready and jump in. Down the road after getting a new and better set you'll be happy for the investment now with the $$$$ saved.
Old 11-21-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a very similar situation for my smaller bedroom HDTV, and opted to go with a 2nd Blu-ray player for it. I just purchased the Panasonic DMP BD60 at Amazon for it, and am happy with my decision. I am back about 10 feet from the screen in my bed, but I still see a much improved picture and color quality.
Old 11-21-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just doing a search at Amazon for panasonic players I came across the panasonic dmp-bd80. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...8824941&sr=1-1
I have trusted Panasonic products since the mid to late eighties. So when I went Blu it was only by nature I went with them. This model has 7.1 analog outputs. I don't think Panasonic has put out a 5.1 analog player since the dmp-bd50.
Old 11-22-09, 10:15 PM
Cool New Member

So, 6th Avenue put the Samsung BD-P1600 on sale today, to the same price Best Buy was going to sell it for on Black Friday.

So, I went to BB, ad in hand, to have them price-match, and they already thought of that and had it for sale at their Black Friday price.

I could not wait until XMas morning to check it out, so I hooked it up tonight.

I am
speechless

Star Trek (2009), my only Blu-ray, looks way better than anything I have ever seen on my HDTV

wow

I was hoping it would look good, but holy crap! Blu-ray looks better than any HD channel.

(And yes, the Olevia 337h accepts 1080p output from a Blu-ray player.)

The only bad part is that I have to wrap it up and wait for "Santa to bring it"
(It would be hard to explain to my daughters why Daddy got a present Thanksgiving week.)

How am I ever going to watch a DVD again ?????

I am really glad I made the move to Blu-ray.

Last edited by mars396; 11-22-09 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-22-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To the poster above: there is no turning back now.
Old 11-22-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha you're hooked!
Old 11-23-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Just don't be to quick to throw out or let your current DVD's gather dust. While not 1080p most players do a pretty darn good job of upconverting. My normal King Kong DVD just looks stunning. With Black Friday you can bet there will be some great BD deal so get ready.......and yea, you're hooked so don't fight it....enjoy it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.