DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   my blu-ray cases keep cracking (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/564276-my-blu-ray-cases-keep-cracking.html)

wennma01 11-04-09 12:38 PM

my blu-ray cases keep cracking

I am new to the BD and have bought about 10 so far. So far two of my cases are cracked at the top in the clear blue plastic part. One I ordered from best buy with in store pick-up and one I ordered from amazon and it was shipped in a bubble envelope.

Is this a common occurrence with these cases? or am I just unlucky with a few of my cases?

Is there any where that I can purchase new cases?

NiCK Crush 11-04-09 12:48 PM

Re: my blu-ray cases keep cracking

I've had no problems.

Artman 11-04-09 12:54 PM

Ive found it's pretty common...one of the downsides from buying online I guess. I just swap cases when I do trade-ins. :)

WMAangel 11-04-09 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by wennma01 (Post 9815871)
Is this a common occurrence with these cases? or am I just unlucky with a few of my cases?

Is there any where that I can purchase new cases?

I'd say you are unlucky, although I have seen & heard multiple broken cases in stores when it comes to the multi-disc types (like the ones used for Star Trek TOS seasons)......

Yes, there are places where you can buy new cases, though it depends on which type you are looking to get (either the slimmer ones with the tab on the side like Sony uses, or the Elite cases most everyone else now uses)....

I just bought a box of 25 Elite BD cases from discmakers.com on Friday, and they were at my doorstep by Tuesday....now I can replace all the crappy eco cases I have gotten over the past six months since they were unfortunately introduced!

Solid Snake 11-04-09 02:01 PM

Never had an issue.

Drexl 11-04-09 05:11 PM

I've gotten a couple of them, but it's not too common. It may depend on the type of case and the brittleness of the plastic. I think there's a kind of case that uses harder plastic that cracks more easily.

PhantomStranger 11-04-09 06:32 PM

The plastic used for Blu-ray cases is very soft, most likely to reduce shipping weight for the studios. While a majority of the cases I own are in perfect shape, a few cases show some brittleness at the top of the spines.

PopcornTreeCt 11-04-09 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9816054)
Never had an issue.

This

obispo21 11-04-09 09:29 PM

My experience is that it's semi-common. Not anywhere near the majority, but BD (and HD DVD) cases in general seem to be far more fragile than DVD cases are.

I own about 250 or so BD/HD now, and have thousands of DVDs. On DVD, I've had a number of instances where the disc hub was broken right from the store, but otherwise case damage is almost non-existent.

For BD/HD, I've already had several instances of cracked cases, chipped spines etc. This is almost entirely with the more "rounded" looking Elite cases used by Warner, Paramount, Fox and most other studios as WMAangel says.

The Sony style cases with the push-button disc hub and side "lock" tabs seem to be a lot more resilient. (Interestingly, Universal used to use these for HD DVD, but switched to the Elite cases for BD.)

I actually think the Elite cases look a lot nicer, but wish more studios would use the Sony type since they seem to be tougher.

ThePhantomGoat 11-04-09 09:44 PM

It happens every so often. I've got 145 BRs now, and probably 4-5 have that same damaged bit.

obispo21 11-04-09 11:46 PM

A good place to buy replacements is...

www.sleevetown.com

They only sell the Sony style cases last I checked.

wennma01 11-06-09 03:26 PM

Thanks for the help. I got kinda worried when I got two cracked at the very beginning, but it looks like its just coincidence. I'll probably buy a pack of 10 or so extra case just to have in reserve.

WMAangel 11-06-09 06:10 PM

Anyone know of a good site to purchase 2-disc non-eco Elite cases from? As I mentioned above, I got a nice box of 25 of the single disc Elites already, but the site I got them from only sells 2-disc cases in the other variety (with the tabs on the side), and I now need some 2-disc Elites to replace a few stupid 2-disc eco cases I forgot I had.....