Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official Eureka / Masters of Cinema Thread

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official Eureka / Masters of Cinema Thread

Old 05-24-22, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts
Re: The Official Eureka / Masters of Cinema Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Police Story 1-3 UHD set on the way:
THE POLICE STORY TRILOGY 4K Ultra HD
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1M3SMX4/

And Supercop separate Blu release:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B1RD3436/
If you had told me 5 years ago that Eureka would finally enter the UHD game and that the Police Story trilogy would be their first, I'd have called you a filthy, no good liar and that it's not nice to tease.

I'm not sure I'm ready to upgrade though unless they are able to undo the Ritrovata-ness of it all.

Old 05-25-22, 06:25 AM

Received 4,546 Likes on 3,084 Posts

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Limited Edition hardcase [4000 copies]
  • Limited Edition hardcase featuring new artwork by R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentations of all three films across 3 Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Reversible sleeve artwork for each film, featuring limited edition individual sleeve designs by R.P. “Kung Fu Bob” O’Brien
  • 100-PAGE perfect bound collector’s book featuring essays by James Oliver on each film, as well as archival materials, imagery, and ephemera
  • Worldwide UHD debuts for all three films, and the first time Police Story 3: Supercop has been available on home video in the UK since the VHS era
  • DISC ONE – POLICE STORY (1985) 4K (2160p) UHD presentation of the original Hong Kong theatrical cut [100 mins] | 1080p HD presentation of the alternate “Police Force” export cut of the film [88 mins] | Hong Kong Version – Original Cantonese mono audio, as well as optional restored 5.1 DTS-HD MA | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Classic English dub (original mono) | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Brand new audio commentary with Asian film experts Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) and F.J. DeSanto | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Brand new audio commentary with action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema | Police Force Version – Option of either the classic English dub track or a rare alternate audio track featuring the original Cantonese audio mixed with the Kevin Bassinson score | Newly revised English subtitles | Archival interview with Jackie Chan [19 mins] | Alternate and Deleted Scenes | Archival “Jackie Chan Stunts” promo | Trailers, including the films’ original theatrical and export trailers
  • DISC TWO – POLICE STORY 2 (1988) 4K (2160p) UHD presentation of the Extended cut of the film [121 mins] | 1080p HD presentation of the original Hong Kong theatrical version [105 mins] | 1080p HD presentation of the alternate export version [95 mins] | Extended Version – Original Cantonese mono audio, as well as optional restored 5.1 DTS-HD MA | Extended Version – English dub presented in restored 5.1 DTS-HD MA | Extended Version – Brand new audio commentary with Asian film experts Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) and F.J. DeSanto | Extended Version – Brand new audio commentary with action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Original Cantonese mono audio | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Archival audio commentary with Miles Wood and Jude Poyer | Export Version – Classic English dub track | Newly revised English subtitles | “Jackie Chan” episode of Son of the Incredibly Strange Film Show [41 mins] – documentary on Jackie Chan’s early career from cult film documentary series, presented by Jonathan Ross | Archival interview with actor and stuntman Benny Lai [15 mins] | Outtakes |Trailers, including the films’ original theatrical and export trailers
  • DISC THREE – POLICE STOR Y 3: SUPERCOP (1992) 4K (2160p) UHD presentation of the original Hong Kong theatrical cut [96 mins] from a brand new restoration of the original film elements `\ 1080p HD presentation of the alternate US version [91 mins] | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Original Cantonese mono audio, as well as an optional alternate Cantonese audio track featuring original, unaltered, sound effects | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Brand new Cantonese Dolby Atmos Surround Sound Audio | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Classic English dub track | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Brand new audio commentary with Asian film experts Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) and F.J. DeSanto | Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Brand new audio commentary with action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema | US Version – “American English” dub track, including Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh voicing their own characters | US Version – Original Cantonese audio | Newly translated English subtitles | Brand new interview with Stunt Coordinator and Action Film Historian John Kreng | New featurette on rarely seen Jackie Chan video games, Kung Fu Master & Fists of Fire by Arne Venema | New featurette on the filming locations of the Police Story trilogy | Archival interview with Jackie Chan (20 mins) | Archival interview with Michelle Yeoh (23 mins) | Archival interview with director Stanley Tong (20 mins) | Archival interview with Jackie Chan’s long-time bodyguard and co-star Ken Lo (21 mins) | Outtakes (50 mins) – a huge selection of NG (“No Good”) shots from the film | Trailers
  • ***All Extras Subject To Change***
The following users liked this post:
asianxcore (05-27-22)
Old 05-25-22, 06:26 AM

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Limited Edition slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [3000 copies]
  • Reversible sleeve artwork featuring new and original poster artwork
  • 1080p HD presentation on Blu-ray of the original Hong Kong theatrical cut [96 mins] from a brand new 4K restoration of the original film elements
  • Limited Edition set of facsimile lobby cards [3000 copies]
  • 1080p HD presentation of the alternate US version [91 mins]
  • Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Original Cantonese mono audio, as well as an optional alternate Cantonese audio track featuring original, unaltered, sound effects
  • Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Brand new Cantonese Dolby Atmos Surround Sound Audio
  • Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Classic English dub track
  • Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Brand new audio commentary with Asian film experts Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) and F.J. DeSanto
  • Hong Kong Theatrical Version – Brand new audio commentary with action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
  • US Version – “American English” dub track, including Jackie Chan and Michelle Yeoh voicing their own characters
  • US Version – Original Cantonese audio
  • Newly translated English subtitles
  • Brand new interview with Stunt Coordinator and Action Film Historian John Kreng
  • New featurette on rarely seen Jackie Chan video games, Kung Fu Master & Fists of Fire by Arne Venema
  • New featurette on the filming locations of the Police Story trilogy
  • Archival interview with Jackie Chan (20 mins)
  • Archival interview with Michelle Yeoh (23 mins)
  • Archival interview with director Stanley Tong (20 mins)
  • Archival interview with Jackie Chan’s long-time bodyguard and co-star Ken Lo (21 mins)
  • Outtakes (50 mins) – a huge selection of NG (“No Good”) shots from the film
  • Trailers
  • A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver, as well as archival materials, imagery, and ephemera [3000 copies]
  • ***All Extras Subject To Change***

Last edited by dex14; 05-25-22 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-25-22, 06:48 AM

I am just going to have to go with the individual release of Supercop. The UHD set is awesome... but I can't keep rebuying this stuff.
Old 05-25-22, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 601 Likes on 443 Posts

I am just going to have to go with the individual release of Supercop. The UHD set is awesome... but I can't keep rebuying this stuff.
Ditto this. Big time. It helps that I have no interest in 4K, even less so when it comes to old Hong Kong movies. I still hunt them down on VCD, for chrissakes, and still discovering cool little items far removed from the top-shelf stuff.

I've often suspected these companies will reach a point where you realize they're only interested in a select group of 'key' films – literally the "same old, same old" – that have built-in selling power (e.g. anything with Chan, for starters). It's admittedly a pretty large list of impressive and important films, but the temptation will always be there to just keep reissuing stuff.

And how long before we get another set that includes the fourth film once they figure out any legal entanglements. Sigh.

In comparing the extras on POLICE STORY 1 and 2 with Eureka's previous Blu-ray set it seems the only new extras are the double commentaries. As good as those guys are (especially Frank Djeng), I'm reaching a saturation point with every 'old' movie – not just HK stuff – requiring a commentary from one of the usual suspects.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-25-22 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-25-22, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 970 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
Ditto this. Big time. It helps that I have no interest in 4K, even less so when it comes to old Hong Kong movies. I still hunt them down on VCD, for chrissakes, and still discovering cool little items far removed from the top-shelf stuff.

I've often suspected these companies will reach a point where you realize they're only interested in a select group of 'key' films literally the "same old, same old" that have built-in selling power (e.g. anything with Chan, for starters). It's admittedly a pretty large list of impressive and important films, but the temptation will always be there to just keep reissuing stuff.

And how long before we get another set that includes the fourth film once they figure out any legal entanglements. Sigh.

In comparing the extras on POLICE STORY 1 and 2 with Eureka's previous Blu-ray set it seems the only new extras are the double commentaries. As good as those guys are (especially Frank Djeng), I'm reaching a saturation point with every 'old' movie not just HK stuff requiring a commentary from one of the usual suspects.
Format upgrades are just a fact of life in physical media. I'm not going to begrudge Eureka for doing what every single other studio/label has done for as long as home video has existed. It would have been far more egregious if PS3 on blu-ray had only been available in a new trilogy box.

Also, I believe the Police Story 1 & 2 set was the second of these recent Hong Kong releases by Eureka (after Iron Monkey) and the first where they started to enlist fan experts in tracking down materials. They hadn't quite hit their stride yet and that first box doesn't live up to the level of some of the more recent ones. You already mentioned the commentaries, which are what they are, but also they've now got Police Force in HD as well as the HK cut of PS2 in HD. I also seem to recall that superior audio has been sourced for the first movie. ​​​The biggie would be if they are able to correct the color timing. I despise the Ritrovata color timing and it's almost all I can see when I watch the previous Blu-rays.

Any or all of these things may not matter much to people. They kind of matter to me, but only since Police Story (specifically the first one) is such a seminal film. I'm still on the fence about upgrading, but if this has been something like Dreadnaught, which was the most recent Eureka HK title I watched, then forget it. Not interested. The Blu-ray is perfectly fine.

Old 05-25-22, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

If the UHD set will be region free then I'm actually interested in purchasing it especially since it has Super Cop as part of the set. I do have the Criterion Blu-rays for the first two films but I'm still holding on to the Region Free Deltamac DVD for part 3.
Old 05-25-22, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've often suspected these companies will reach a point where you realize they're only interested in a select group of 'key' films literally the "same old, same old" that have built-in selling power (e.g. anything with Chan, for starters). It's admittedly a pretty large list of impressive and important films, but the temptation will always be there to just keep reissuing stuff.

In comparing the extras on POLICE STORY 1 and 2 with Eureka's previous Blu-ray set it seems the only new extras are the double commentaries. As good as those guys are (especially Frank Djeng), I'm reaching a saturation point with every 'old' movie not just HK stuff requiring a commentary from one of the usual suspects.
You indicated previously to me the company that you use to export the Eureka sets to Canada, Brian. Would you mind telling me again the name of the company, please? Thanks!
Old 05-25-22, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
If the UHD set will be region free then I'm actually interested in purchasing it especially since it has Super Cop as part of the set. I do have the Criterion Blu-rays for the first two films but I'm still holding on to the Region Free Deltamac DVD for part 3.
Yes, UHDs are region free.

You indicated previously to me the company that you use to export the Eureka sets to Canada, Brian. Would you mind telling me again the name of the company, please? Thanks!
Doesn't Eureka direct ship worldwide for free?
Old 05-25-22, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,617 Likes on 2,596 Posts

God Damn, I may have to get that Police Story 4K set even though I already have the Criterion BD of 1 and 2. I currently don't have an HD let alone 4K version of Supercop. I still have my Dragon Dynasty DVD set.

But yes this will have to be it. Like the Bruce Lee Criterion BD set was my last ever Bruce Lee content purchase. I have way too many Bruce discs and sets.
Old 05-25-22, 04:45 PM

^^^ Just wait until Arrow announces their 4K Bruce Lee set.

eta: You could just get the solo Blu release of Supercop. I’d be surprised if you didn’t have a region free player. I know you love Asian cinema and it really opens you up to so much. As a fan of Jackie, the UK releases have been amazing. There is a lot of good stuff already out or on the way.

Regardless… order whatever you chose direct from Eureka. It ships free and they usually ship two weeks early.

Last edited by dex14; 05-25-22 at 05:27 PM.
DJariya (05-25-22)
Old 05-25-22, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Format upgrades are just a fact of life in physical media. I'm not going to begrudge Eureka for doing what every single other studio/label has done for as long as home video has existed. It would have been far more egregious if PS3 on blu-ray had only been available in a new trilogy box.

Also, I believe the Police Story 1 & 2 set was the second of these recent Hong Kong releases by Eureka (after Iron Monkey) and the first where they started to enlist fan experts in tracking down materials. They hadn't quite hit their stride yet and that first box doesn't live up to the level of some of the more recent ones. You already mentioned the commentaries, which are what they are, but also they've now got Police Force in HD as well as the HK cut of PS2 in HD. I also seem to recall that superior audio has been sourced for the first movie. ​​​The biggie would be if they are able to correct the color timing. I despise the Ritrovata color timing and it's almost all I can see when I watch the previous Blu-rays.

Any or all of these things may not matter much to people. They kind of matter to me, but only since Police Story (specifically the first one) is such a seminal film. I'm still on the fence about upgrading, but if this has been something like Dreadnaught, which was the most recent Eureka HK title I watched, then forget it. Not interested. The Blu-ray is perfectly fine.

Agreed somewhat on the color timing, but then I've seen and owned so many versions of these films (yawn) on so many formats, with so many slight variations in colour etc., that I've kinda given up.

I didn't realize the POLICE FORCE and PS2 HK cut were in HD. Still not enough to get me to buy (see previous note about me still buying and enjoying VCDs of movies few have even heard of I'm a happy dinosaur!), but I suppose for those that didn't bother with the previous Eureka set this would be the one to get. However, if these upgrades and the commentaries are now ONLY available in the 4K set, well, that's kind of egregious as well. Kinda seems like the happy medium here a companion Blu-ray trilogy boxed set has been left off the table. Are Blu-rays included in the 4K set or is that not common practice?

I do realize that every company has done this since forever my collection attests to it far too often but my point still stands that the well these companies draw from when it comes to HK cinema isn't proving to be much deeper than in any previous home video era. I suppose with 4K being a region-less format (or whatever) we can at least rest easy that Criterion or Shout or Kino won't feel a strong need to release another 4K set for the North American market . . . or will they?
Old 05-25-22, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I get most of my Eureka sets from Eureka. As Dex noted they ship worldwide for free. However, I do occasionally order Eureka stuff (and especially 88 Films titles) from Amazon Marketplace sellers like Oxfordshire, Chalkys and Rarewaves if they're cheaper. Also the Amazon Global Store (which sometimes has free shipping). I use the US site, but ship to Canada, which saves a bit on the tax and is often cheaper than using the same sellers on the Canadian site.
LorenzoL (05-25-22)
Old 06-08-22, 06:09 PM

Aug. 22
Angela Mao: Hapkido & Lady Whirlwind [Blu-ray]
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-09-22, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aug. 22 Angela Mao: Hapkido & Lady Whirlwind [Blu-ray]
Eureka's listing is up:
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/ange...ady-whirlwind/

Seriously, though, FIVE commentaries? So you'd potentially have to watch/listen to the films seven times! This is getting out of hand. I'm already feeling like some of the double commentaries on many of these HK releases that I've listened to so far could easily be tightened into one.

SYNOPSIS
Angela Mao and director Huang Feng (The Shaolin Plot) were a superstar pairing that produced an incredible series of top tier kung-fu classics including Deadly China Doll, When Taekwondo Strikes and the two films presented here – Hapkido and Lady Whirlwind.

In Hapkido (aka. Lady Kung Fu in the West), a group of martial artists (Mao, Sammo Hung, and Carter Wong) start their own school to teach the Korean martial art, Hapkido, but a rival Japanese academy attempts to crush them – deeming Hapkido inferior to their Japanese fighting style. Similar to the plot of Bruce Lee’s Fist of Fury (a canny decision by the filmmakers, capitalising on Mao often being referred to as a “female Bruce Lee” ), Hapkido was a huge hit in the West, even briefly beating Lee’s Enter the Dragon at the North American box office.

Perhaps her most iconic film, Lady Whirlwind (bizarrely re-titled as Deep Thrust in the US, to capitalise on the success of Deep Throat, which probably made its tag lines—“The Deadly Stroke of Bare Hand Combat”and “Mistress of the Death Blow”—a tad misleading) stars Mao as a deadly fighter out for revenge on the man who wronged her sister (played by Shaw Brothers veteran Chang Yi). After tracking the man down, she finds he is on his own vengeful path against a gang of Japanese thugs and agrees to help keep him alive – as long as she gets to take her revenge when it’s all over!

Two excellent martial arts films make their debuts on Blu-ray—and the first time Lady Whirlwind has ever been available in the UK—from brand new 2K restorations!

SPECIAL FEATURES

• Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]
  • Limited Edition Reversible Poster featuring original theatrical poster artwork [2000 copies]
  • 1080p presentations of both films across two Blu-ray discs, from new 2K restorations
  • Hapkido – Original mono Mandarin and English audio options, including two variations of the classic English dub
  • Hapkido – DTS-HD MA 5.1 English dub (newer dub originally created for the film’s original DVD release)
  • Lady Whirlwind – Original mono Mandarin and English audio options
  • Optional English Subtitles, newly translated for this release
  • Hapkido – New feature length audio commentary with Asian film experts Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) & Michael Worth
  • Hapkido – New feature length audio commentary with Frank Djeng & martial artist / actor Robert “Bobby” Samuels
  • Lady Whirlwind – New feature length audio commentary with Asian film experts Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) & Michael Worth
  • Lady Whirlwind – New feature length audio commentary with Frank Djeng & martial artist / actor Robert “Bobby” Samuels
  • Lady Whirlwind – New feature length audio commentary by film journalist and author Samm Deighan
  • Brand new interview with Angela Mao, filmed in 2022
  • Archival interview with Angela Mao
  • Archival interview with Carter Wong
  • Archival interview with Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao
  • Hapkido – Alternate opening credits
  • Selection of trailers and TV spots
  • Stills Galleries
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original Hong Kong poster artwork
  • A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by James Oliver [2000 copies]
Old 06-09-22, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

James Flower tweeted that Arrow will be bringing the Mao set to the US withe the same content but different artwork. I posted the tweet on the Arrow thread.
Brian T (06-09-22)
Old 06-09-22, 11:53 AM

James Flower tweeted that Arrow will be bringing the Mao set to the US withe the same content but different artwork. I posted the tweet on the Arrow thread.
I had a slight suspicion this could be happening. I am now hesitating to pre-order any Eureka titles right away. I am glad I didn't this morning.

Last edited by dex14; 06-09-22 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-15-22, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 913 Posts

Masters of Cinema has "deleted" their special edition of Vampyr. Crazy, since it just came out around Memorial Day here. DiabolikDVD has a few copies left, so you better get them before they're gone. The 3rd market sellers are already selling it 2-3 times the regular price.

https://www.diabolikdvd.com/product/...on-b-preorder/
Old 07-21-22, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-02-22, 09:04 AM

Yes!!!

Old 08-02-22, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A title they'll be releasing this year . . . or a set? Mixed emotions here.

I'd really, really prefer a set, but now I suspect they're gonna dole these out piecemeal so they can pre-market them longer, string people along via social media, all that stuff, and probably stop short of releasing the full series.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-02-22 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 09:17 AM

Last edited by dex14; 08-02-22 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 09:18 AM

A title they'll be releasing this year . . . or s set? Mixed emotions here.

I'd really, really prefer a set, but now I suspect they're gonna dole these out piecemeal so they can pre-market them longer, string people along via social media, all that stuff, and probably stop short of releasing the full series.
I had been hearing a set of at least 1-4 (possibly 5) for a while. I hope that is what it will be as well and that they don't break them up. But they could try to make more by selling the two Yeoh films individually then sell the others as a set.

Edit: now looks like individual for the first two based on the additional teases...

Last edited by dex14; 08-02-22 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had been hearing a set of at least 1-4 (possibly 5) for a while. I hope that is what it will be as well and that they don't break them up. But they could try to make more by selling the two Yeoh films individually then sell the others as a set.
That's exactly what I suspect they'll do. And it kinda pisses me off. These films – especially the first four – are uniformly excellent, even if Cynthia Khan doesn't quite have Michelle Yeoh's magnetism. If anything, from a technological standpoint they actually improve as the series goes on (a natural evolution of HK filmmaking techniques, I suppose). Part V is rather average, but 6 and 7 make up for that one in many ways.

But yeah, probably singles for YES MADAM and ROYAL WARRIORS (along with MAGNIFICENT WARRIORS per your followup post), then, if we're lucky, a boxed set of 3-5, or if we're really lucky – and I seriously doubt it – a boxed set of 3-7. Gotta keep us shelling out, you see.

That said, I am kinda glad Eureka got them instead of 88 Films. I don't like to disparage any of the contemporary illustrators they hire for new artwork these days, as I know what goes into a decent piece of art, but 88 seems too reliant on Kung Fu Bob, whose pieces can be a bit sketchy and cluttered sometimes.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-02-22 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-02-22, 09:51 AM

That said, I am kinda glad Eureka got them instead of 88 Films. I don't like to disparage any of the contemporary illustrators they hire for new artwork these days, as I know what goes into a decent piece of art, but 88 seems too reliant on Kung Fu Bob, whose pieces can be a bit sketchy and cluttered sometimes.
I don't know... I generally really like Bob's work. But, I'd admit to a bit of overkill lately. We could be worse off. The early drafts of artwork for 88's JC releases that Irongod starting helping out on where way worse. Bob's blew those out of the water.

I like the style the artist who did the Tiger Cage films.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.