Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Battle Royale I & II Blu-ray -- Anyone know anything about it?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 10-22-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://www.sundevildvd.com/store/pro...roductid=17793

A quick Google search shows a few photographs and varied real-looking listings, but nothing concrete on quality or legitimacy. Any clue what's up with this pressing?
Old 10-22-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Battle Royale I & II Blu-ray -- Anyone know anything about it?

It's a bootleg - that site is known for them. They haven't been released on Blu-Ray and there's nothing planned afaik.
Old 10-23-09, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if Toei would release it on Blu-ray since we're in the same region as Japan.

Oh wait, if they do, with our luck, they'll skip out on the English subtitles.

The Tartan NTSC edition is the way to go, too bad the video quality isn't that great.
Old 10-23-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Our best hope is probably Tartan releasing Battle Royale in the UK on BD region-free.

Toei I can guarantee will screw us on english subs.

You seriously want Battle Royale II on BD? I still regret my purchase of the Region 3 HK release of BRII for $12 a couple years back... so bad it's not even worth making fun of
Old 10-23-09, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Tartan, um I mean Palisades Tartan, still own the rights to the flick? I can see that Blu-ray release getting fucked up too; they'll release it region-free, but all of the bonus material will be encoded MPEG-2 PAL.

I'd honestly take a punch in the face than ever having to sit through II ever again. I don't even know what I did with my Region 3 DVD release of it. I probably threw it out.
Old 10-23-09, 07:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Speaking of - Palisades has made announcements for some Region B releases - but have they said anything about releasing Region A BD's?
Old 10-23-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Speaking of - Palisades has made announcements for some Region B releases - but have they said anything about releasing Region A BD's?
There's been rumors over in the Park Chan-wook thread that the Vengeance Trilogy is coming in March.

Matt, now that you mention it... Battle Royale I/II are not on the Palisades website unless you search for them (and even then they do not have the cover art). It's entirely possible they no longer have the rights or let them lapse.
Old 10-23-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know nothing about it except that I badly want it.

I LOVE the first film. TC, not the DC. I only watched II once, but I recall it not being very good.
Old 10-24-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I know nothing about it except that I badly want it.

I LOVE the first film. TC, not the DC. I only watched II once, but I recall it not being very good.
I'd like to see a "special edition" of the theatrical cut.

Basically what I'm saying is I'd like to see the "Special Version" (as it's entitled) without the added footage; but with the corrected mistakes, audio cues, and added CGI violence.
Old 10-25-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I'd like to see a "special edition" of the theatrical cut.

Basically what I'm saying is I'd like to see the "Special Version" (as it's entitled) without the added footage; but with the corrected mistakes, audio cues, and added CGI violence.
They should just make one with both versions. The only scene I thought was of any significance in the SE was the part where they show why that one girl was so screwed up.
Old 10-25-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mrhan
They should just make one with both versions. The only scene I thought was of any significance in the SE was the part where they show why that one girl was so screwed up.
That and the basketball scenes.

Oh the basketball scenes.

Need I also remind everyone that there's a nigh 3-hour-long director's cut of BRII. You'll shoot your eye out, kid!
Old 10-25-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter
Need I also remind everyone that there's a nigh 3-hour-long director's cut of BRII. You'll shoot your eye out, kid!
Battle Royale II: Revenge is cut more like the special edition of the first Battle Royale and is only 2:32 whereas the original Battle Royale II: Requiem is 2:13. I think the Revenge cut is an improvement, but I didn't have as negative reaction to the Requiem version as some people do. I didn't have any problems with the Special Edition of Battle Royale either, but I've never seen the non-special edition of that one. The original Battle Royale is still a better movie than the second one no doubt, but the 2nd is far from the worst thing out there.
Old 10-26-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Battle Royale II: Revenge is cut more like the special edition of the first Battle Royale and is only 2:32 whereas the original Battle Royale II: Requiem is 2:13. I think the Revenge cut is an improvement, but I didn't have as negative reaction to the Requiem version as some people do. I didn't have any problems with the Special Edition of Battle Royale either, but I've never seen the non-special edition of that one. The original Battle Royale is still a better movie than the second one no doubt, but the 2nd is far from the worst thing out there.
You are apparently their target audience that they missed.

HEAD TO JAPAN SO WE CAN GET A BETTER BRIII.
Old 10-26-09, 03:14 PM

I thought the company that owned the rights to Battle Royale said that they would never release it in the states because of controversy issues?
Old 10-26-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheDuke
I thought the company that owned the rights to Battle Royale said that they would never release it in the states because of controversy issues?
No one is speculating a US release. Read the thread.
Old 10-26-09, 07:25 PM

I know, but if Tartan was the company that owned it, I don't see why this movie would be any more offensive than some of the other titles they have released here.
Old 10-26-09, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheDuke
I know, but if Tartan was the company that owned it, I don't see why this movie would be any more offensive than some of the other titles they have released here.
Uhhhhhh... a bunch of 12 year olds shooting, decapitating, burning, hanging, and generally exploding themselves is a little more violent than their previous output

Tartan US has never had the rights... Tartan UK did (maybe still do?) but last I heard the DVD/Blu rights in the US were being packaged together with the theatrical remake rights in the area of the millions (higher than Tartan could muster apparently) and Toei was not willing to budge.

That was almost 10 years ago though, lol. I suggest finding the UK NTSC Tartan version if you can... totally region-free and has the best subtitles available. I really don't think the transfer is too bad either (it's anamorphic/5.1 with no PAL speedup).

IMHO, the subtitles of the official Korean release of the 2-Disc Special Edition version were laughable at best. The reason I sold that disc years back.
Old 10-26-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RobLutter
Uhhhhhh... a bunch of 12 year olds shooting, decapitating, burning, hanging, and generally exploding themselves is a little more violent than their previous output
Try 15-20 year olds if you go by the actual ages of the actors, not 12 year olds.
Old 10-28-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Try 15-20 year olds if you go by the actual ages of the actors, not 12 year olds.
Yeah, most of the actors were actually 15 at the time of filming which were the age of the characters. The two older characters where in their mid 20s but playing younger. The supplementary materials on the Tartan 2 disc SE had this info.