Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Question for Owners of Gladiator Blu-Ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there such a thing as too much content on a blu-ray? I've been watching this blu-ray since last Saturday, and not even close to finishing disc 2. I spent two days on the scrolls of knowledge, and I'm only on screen 5 of 11.

Then there is the massive making of documentary. It'll take me another week to finish it all, and I'm already sick of Gladiator. Yet, I have an OCD type nature with extra features. I have to watch them all or I feel like I haven't fully experienced the blu-ray. I do draw the line on watching storyboard sequences. Those are so boring.
Old 10-15-09, 08:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Question for Owners of Gladiator Blu-Ray

Then don't buy the Lord of the Rings trilogy. You'll go insane. I attempted it, but there's just too much content. But for me and the Gladiator set, I just watched the documentaries, deelted scenes, and a few other things, and of course the blu-ray exclusive stuff they added (which wasn't that much, but interesting to look at). I dunno, I've just never felt like I was missing a lot by skipping stuff like storyboards, but I can still fully experience what the blu ray set has to offer. Besides, a ton of those extras are 480i, not 1080i or p, so in a sense, you're just experiencing the DVD parts.
Old 10-15-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

VERY rarely to I ever get around to actually watching all of the special features on a BD or DVD (usually just Kevin Smith films and maybe a few others).....and yet, the completist in me always wants all of the extras available, and I have held on to more than one older version of a DVD if all the bonuses were not carried over to the BD release...
Old 10-15-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ You're me. Or, I'm you. You know what I mean...
Old 10-15-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
VERY rarely to I ever get around to actually watching all of the special features on a BD or DVD (usually just Kevin Smith films and maybe a few others).....and yet, the completist in me always wants all of the extras available, and I have held on to more than one older version of a DVD if all the bonuses were not carried over to the BD release...
Me too, the difference is I don't care. I checked out a couple things on this and the Braveheart BD. 99% of the features are so boring I can't stand them. Some have a couple good documentaries I may check out. So for me I don't think I've invested 10 minutes into the features.
Old 10-16-09, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
^ You're me. Or, I'm you. You know what I mean...

Cheers to my long lost twin! Errr, or something like that....
Old 10-16-09, 07:40 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Same here. I've held onto older releases just because one slight feature like a trailer or production notes weren't carried over.
Old 10-16-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Same here. I've held onto older releases just because one slight feature like a trailer or production notes weren't carried over.

OK, you win sir!
I'm not quite that hardcore....I don't find production notes to be that essential....
Old 10-16-09, 08:28 AM

^ I don't either. In fact, there is no such thing as an essential DVD. But collectors do silly things...
Old 10-16-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We certainly are a sick bunch, aren't we? If I got rid of every duplicate DVD I've been saving because of a trailer or some other trivial bonus feature, I'd have space for about 50 more discs.
Old 10-16-09, 10:34 AM

We certainly are a sick bunch, aren't we? If I got rid of every duplicate DVD I've been saving because of a trailer or some other trivial bonus feature, I'd have space for about 50 more discs.
Here's one thing I'm about to start doing to save space.

For an old release that I'm saving just for a bonus feature, I put the disc in a sleeve and inside the case of the upgrade. Any insert will also fit inside, and I'll put the cover art inside the case or behind the other cover art. Presto, you have everything of both releases in the space of one release.

I'm also converting every case to a slim case, but that's another story.
Old 10-16-09, 11:19 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

This would make for an interesting thread. On a tangent, I've collected 3 copies of 1492 from other regions hoping I would find that teaser trailer with the Enigma music. So I guess I went the opposite way.

But damn, I don't think I can recall keeping any DVD just for the production notes.
Old 10-16-09, 11:52 AM

In my limited defense, it's not that I keep it just for a trivial bonus feature.

It's more that I don't go out of my way to find another home for it.
Old 10-16-09, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In my limited defense, it's not that I keep it just for a trivial bonus feature.

It's more that I don't go out of my way to find another home for it.
I now have a very simply formula for what I do with an old DVD when I upgrade a film to BD:

If the DVD has bonus features (that I care about) on it that the BD does not, then I keep the DVD...current best example of this for me is Snow White...the BD may be stacked, but it is missing quite a few things from the original DVD release....

If the BD has all the important extras on it (making the DVD redundant), and the DVD is worth 2.51 or more at Moviestop, then I put it in one pile, and when I have four DVDs in this pile, I trade them in....Moviestop has a trade in deal where you get an extra $5 when you trade in four titles and reserve something, plus I get an extra 10% in trade in value with the "Director's Club" card.....essentially that gives me at least $4.01 a piece per DVD in credit, but many times they are worth more than that....

If the BD has all the important extras on it, and the DVD is worth anywhere between 1.50 and 2.50 at Moviestop, then it goes into a different pile, and when I get four in that pile, you guessed it, I trade them in....Moviestop has a different deal where select new releases can be traded in for with four discs worth at least 1.50, in which case their trade-in value is increased to $4.00 a piece and I get $16 total towards an upcoming new release BD....

Finally, if the BD has all the important extras on it, and the DVD is worth less than 1.50 at Moviestop, then I take it and leave it at my parent's river house....
Old 10-16-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's one thing I'm about to start doing to save space.

For an old release that I'm saving just for a bonus feature, I put the disc in a sleeve and inside the case of the upgrade. Any insert will also fit inside, and I'll put the cover art inside the case or behind the other cover art. Presto, you have everything of both releases in the space of one release.
And here I thought I was the only one who did such a thing

If I'm upgrading to BR and not all the special features carry over, I will keep the DVD, stick it in a sleeve, and it goes in with the BR. I will also fold up the insert/chapter listing if it is thin and stick it in the case. If it's a booklet, it goes right next to the BR on the shelf.

Maybe one day I'll invest in a bunch of 2 disc BR cases and make the presentation even better.
Old 10-17-09, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
Maybe one day I'll invest in a bunch of 2 disc BR cases and make the presentation even better.
I've been using shop4tech for my empty cases. No complaints yet, they have lots of variety, a current 17% off coupon, and are on shopping portals for even more discount.
Old 10-17-09, 12:50 PM

I agree. I buy the movies and love having extra features, but never really watch them. The only features I watched were Commentary by Michael Bay, Nic Cage, Ed Harris, and the consultants on THE ROCK!! By far the funnest commentary. The Fugitive is another one where I watched commentary. Intersting as well. That is about it
Old 10-18-09, 12:21 AM

I generally don't watch the special features on DVD, nor Blu-ray because I have no interests in them whatsoever (especially the commentaries,) and besides, I don't have that much time on my hands to view all those special features, even if I wanted to. I'm only want the movie! So therefore, any bare bone Blu-ray disc is just fine, and dandy with me.

Last edited by slimdude; 10-18-09 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-18-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ Me too. Don't hold up the release of any movie in order to provide special features. The movie is what I'm buying
Old 10-19-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Then don't buy the Lord of the Rings trilogy. You'll go insane. I attempted it, but there's just too much content. But for me and the Gladiator set, I just watched the documentaries, deelted scenes, and a few other things, and of course the blu-ray exclusive stuff they added (which wasn't that much, but interesting to look at). I dunno, I've just never felt like I was missing a lot by skipping stuff like storyboards, but I can still fully experience what the blu ray set has to offer. Besides, a ton of those extras are 480i, not 1080i or p, so in a sense, you're just experiencing the DVD parts.

Yeah, I have the trilogy and managed to wade through most of the features, but I drew the line on the commentaries. No way could I just watch the movie 4 times in a row to hear all the commentaries. The documentaries were excellent though.

I gave up on Gladiator. After going through half of the scrolls of knowledge, I discovered that the exact same clips are in the huge documentary. What a waste. I was basically watching bits and pieces of the documentary out of order with these scrolls.

I enjoy behind the scenes and learning how a movie is made. I don't enjoy hearing actors talk about their characters and the story. That is such a waste for the viewers.