DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Unable to play Snow White Blu-ray (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/562726-unable-play-snow-white-blu-ray.html)

cmleidi 10-06-09 03:15 PM

Unable to play Snow White Blu-ray

I have a LG BD 390 Network Blu-ray Disc Player. I have tried to load the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves blu-ray, but it will not load. The menus won't load. IT just stops, and I get a black screen. I left it that way for around 10 minutes, and nothing happened. I turned off BD live. I turned it back on. I checked the wireless connection. Everything was fine, but the disc would not load. Is anyone else having this problem? I could load the extras disc that came with the set, but it's just the disc with the film on it that won't play.

bunkaroo 10-06-09 04:02 PM

Re: Unable to play Snow White Blu-ray

You need to check and see if you have the latest firmware.

I don't know how good LG is with staying up to date - there's a possibility they will need to issue an update to play this disc.

rfduncan 10-06-09 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by bunkaroo (Post 9755640)
You need to check and see if you have the latest firmware.

I don't know how good LG is with staying up to date - there's a possibility they will need to issue an update to play this disc.

Yep. Similar thing happened to me with Sleeping Beauty on my PS3. Because my DSL was down, it could not auto-upgrade. Once it was back online, the update took place, and I was able to watch without a problem.

Are you sure you're online because that black screen is exactly what happened to me...

Gizmo 10-06-09 04:11 PM

I have a BD390 so I'll test Sleeping Beauty when I get home tonight for you.

Tom Creo 10-06-09 09:27 PM

When the fuck does this shit end already? I'm starting to dread Tuesdays. I pray I don't have any issues next week when Drag Me To Hell streets.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi 10-06-09 09:53 PM

As much as I'd love for blu-ray to take off, these issues really need to stop. Isn't this one of the reasons why new technologies should have standards?

slimdude 10-07-09 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Creo (Post 9756454)
When the fuck does this shit end already? I'm starting to dread Tuesdays. I pray I don't have any issues next week when Drag Me To Hell streets.

Chill out dude, don't blow a head gasket! A Blu-ray movie is not worth getting a coronary over.

JimRochester 10-07-09 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Tom Creo (Post 9756454)

Originally Posted by slimdude (Post 9756756)
Chill out dude, don't blow a head gasket! A Blu-ray movie is not worth getting a coronary over.

It doesn't happen often but when it is so annoying when it does. I dread putting in a disc for the first time because I'm never sure it's going to play.

buckee1 10-07-09 08:59 AM

tell me about it. I still haven't watched Akira as it won't load in my sammy BD UP 5000. Everything else has loaded and played fine but this one is a no go. The "hoping it will play" is not what I bargained for when jumping aboard the BD bandwagon. I have to say that I NEVER had an HD DVD not play...ever.

DvDDan 10-07-09 09:16 AM

had the same thing happen to me with Iron Man, it worked, i updated firmware, it didn't work anymore.

JimRochester 10-07-09 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by buckee1 (Post 9757010)
tell me about it. The "hoping it will play" is not what I bargained for when jumping aboard the BD bandwagon. I have to say that I NEVER had an HD DVD not play...ever.

I was going to say that about HD-DVD but then decided not to. Now that it's out there I concur. Aside from a few glitches with the combo discs, HD has a better track record than BD and I have roughly the same number of discs. My uncle even has an SD that won't play in his BDP550 yet will play fine in his 2nd generation DVD player from 10 years ago

rfduncan 10-07-09 09:49 AM

I don't understand why you're all blaming the whole standard when it is actually a select number of players that are causing the problem by not being upgraded correctly to accept the new software.

In all honesty, the studios are sort of "causing" these issues themselves because they are pushing the technology to new ground which requires upgrades in order to work properly.

Gizmo 10-07-09 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by rfduncan (Post 9757089)
I don't understand why you're all blaming the whole standard when it is actually a select number of players that are causing the problem by not being upgraded correctly to accept the new software.

In all honesty, the studios are sort of "causing" these issues themselves because they are pushing the technology to new ground which requires upgrades in order to work properly.

Blu-ray should not have launched half-baked. This wouldn't be a problem.

darkdaze73 10-07-09 10:25 AM

But things like this can turn the avg. movie watcher away. Imagine going out and spending $150-250 on a brand new blu-ray player, pick up a couple of movies while you're at it. Get it home, hook it up, insert movie, and bam! The brand new movie you just bought won't play in the brand new blu-ray player you just bought. And believe or not, but everyone doesn't know about updating firmware on players/game consoles.

If you have Crank 2 and your player is hooked up online, you have to do an update before you can even load the movie. Its cool that they have your local weather on the menu screen, but how often would you use that feature? Lemme see, "honey, whats the weather like outside?"..."don't know, let me put in my Crank 2 blu-ray and i'll tell you".

Gizmo 10-07-09 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by cmleidi (Post 9755532)
I have a LG BD 390 Network Blu-ray Disc Player. I have tried to load the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves blu-ray, but it will not load. The menus won't load. IT just stops, and I get a black screen. I left it that way for around 10 minutes, and nothing happened. I turned off BD live. I turned it back on. I checked the wireless connection. Everything was fine, but the disc would not load. Is anyone else having this problem? I could load the extras disc that came with the set, but it's just the disc with the film on it that won't play.

I just tried it today on my LG BD390 and it worked fine. Went through all the menus and played the movie. Perhaps a bad disc?

fumanstan 10-07-09 10:51 AM

I would say that it isn't just a select number of players. Multiple players, years into the format, continue to have issues despite firmware updates. If the problems stemmed from a single manufacturer or specific model I would agree with you, but given that multiple players all have issues with different discs it's easy to blame the format.

slop101 10-07-09 11:12 AM

Since I have a PS3, I have no idea what any of you are having problems with, or even what you're talking about.

Gizmo 10-07-09 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9757299)
Since I have a PS3, I have no idea what any of you are having problems with, or even what you're talking about.

PS3 has actually had problems before with Blu-ray discs. Hell, the latest firmware update is actually making some PS3s not even read Blu-ray discs.

cmleidi 10-07-09 12:58 PM

I tried to play the disc once again, but no such luck. I reverted back to factory settings. I redid the wirless settings which did not change after the redo. I reactivated my Netflix, and I signed back in to YouTube. While in YouTube, I put the disc back in the player. It played. IT has now played three times after just putting the disc in the player. I don't know what changed, but my suspicion is that it had something to do with Disney's BDLIVE because I had to upgrade the BDLIVE while the Snow White disc was in the player. I had recently watched WATCHMEN which also has the BDLIVE, and there was no problem. Although, I didn't use BDLIVE on either disc.

Gizmo 10-07-09 01:03 PM

I was not prompted at all to download anything for BD-Live when I put Sleeping Beauty in. The last Disney BD I watched was Escape to Witch Mountain.

slop101 10-07-09 03:14 PM

I noticed that the SW BD took a little bit longer to load/boot up than the average blu ray.

Although it was cool that the Magic Mirror in the menu knew that it was cloudy outside and that it was the first time I had put in the disc. But now it won't shut up about taking the Hyperion Studios tour...

Giles 10-07-09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 9757603)
I was not prompted at all to download anything for BD-Live when I put Sleeping Beauty in. The last Disney BD I watched was Escape to Witch Mountain.

I'm sorry you had to endure that movie.

Adam Tyner 10-07-09 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by cmleidi (Post 9755532)
I have a LG BD 390 Network Blu-ray Disc Player. I have tried to load the Snow White and the Seven Dwarves blu-ray, but it will not load. The menus won't load. IT just stops, and I get a black screen.

It did this on my PS3 too, but eventually it did go away.

musick 10-07-09 08:43 PM

yep this was the longest it ever took to load a BD on my PS3 that didn't have a forced BDLive option upon starting up ... the black screen was present for much too long

don't know if it might load faster now the second time

cmleidi 10-07-09 09:42 PM

The black screen was present for at least 40 minutes. It never advanced beyond that.

I tried the disc at my grandfather's house. He has a panasonic player, and the disc loaded immediately, but going from menu to menu took forever. It took five minutes to go from language selection to the next menu.