Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ballast (Lance Hammer, 2008) → 11/10/2009

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 09-30-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A double prize winner at the Sundance Film Festival and one of the most critically acclaimed films of 2008, Ballast is a stunningly evocative story of personal catastrophe and communal redemption. In the cold winter light of the Mississippi Delta, three lonely people stumble under the weight of a shared tragedy. Lawrence (Micheal J. Smith, Sr.) is paralyzed with grief after the loss of his twin brother. Twelve-year-old James (Jim Myron Ross) drifts into the perilous orbit of local teenagers while his single mother, Marlee (Tarra Riggs), is too exhausted from her menial job to interpret the clues. When sudden violence forces mother and son to flee their home in the night, they alight desperately on Lawrence s property. Though this provides safe harbor, it rekindles the fury of a bitter, longstanding conflict. Writer-director Lance Hammer and his gifted cast of local, non-professional actors have created an unflinching, profoundly humane story of lost souls forced by circumstance to seek solace in the most unlikely of places.

SPECIAL FEATURES
- Director supervised high-definition digital transfer from the 35mm interpositive.
- Ballast Scene Development - A 37-minute making-of feature charting the evolution of several scenes through the improvisational conflict sessions and two-month rehearsal process that gave form to the final film.
- Original theatrical trailer.
- Optional English, French and Spanish subtitles.
- A new essay by film critic Amy Taubin.

<hr>

This was the best movie I saw in theaters in 2008 and one of my favorite movies of this decade. I can't believe it took so long for it to get to Blu-ray (or DVD). Here's the Metacritic review page, as well as the original NYT review.

The movie is like Killer of Sheep if it had been directed by the Dardenne brothers.
Old 10-02-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ballast (Lance Hammer, 2008) → 11/10/2009

Great movie. Took long enough to get released.
Old 11-09-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Comes out tomorrow. For those of you with extra cash in your wallet who are interested in seeing some really great film, I highly, highly recommend this as a blind buy. If I had the financial means I'd even promise a money-back guarantee.
Old 11-17-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/39742/ballast/

Content:
Video:
Audio: