Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Watchmen: Ultimate Cut - 11/3

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Watchmen: Ultimate Cut - 11/3

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Watchmen: Ultimate Cut - 11/3

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
I ordered one from DeepDiscount for $25.86 but it's on backorder. Let's see if they get them back into stock or not.
same here.
Old 11-23-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered mine from DVDPlanet and it's still OOS also.
Old 11-24-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

got this last week. It looks pretty sweet but I kinda prefer standard cases (like what they use in the UK release for The Prisoners)
Old 11-24-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been to 3 BB's and still haven't seen this. Not sure if I'd even buy it, but it's bizarre I can't even find the damn thing.
Old 11-24-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by eedoon
got this last week. It looks pretty sweet but I kinda prefer standard cases (like what they use in the UK release for The Prisoners)
my case sits on my bookshelf next to my copy of absolute watchmen.
Old 11-24-09, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I've been to 3 BB's and still haven't seen this. Not sure if I'd even buy it, but it's bizarre I can't even find the damn thing.
FWIW, Fry's (in Fountain Valley) has a bunch.
Old 12-07-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am still waiting on DVDPlanet to ship this to me. That site is fine most of the time, but God forbid if you order something when it isn't in stock or goes out of stock. It takes forever for them to get new stock in. I'm also waiting on the new Hulk Hogan DVD, and again, it's taking forever for them to get that in stock.

I'm so glad that once I spend the remaining $40 in credit I have with them that I can totally forget about the them.
Old 12-07-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^The one time I ever bought something from there, it went out of stock and then they canceled my order without ever telling me or indicating it on my order status.

Bought mine yesterday and am happy. Did do a double take on the cover.

This was announced a long time ago, so the people complaining about having already bought some/most of this stuff makes no sense. It was no surprise what this would be and that's why I didn't buy any of it earlier.

Only thing worse is the Harry Potter people:
"I'm going to buy this box set."
<next movie comes out>
"Oh no, they're doing another box set with the new movie. They tricked me. I guess I'll buy that one and do something with this one."
<next movie comes out>
"Oh no, they're double dipping. How could I have ever known I'd be in such a situation? Guess I'll sell this box set to get the new one."
<repeat until all the movies are finally out>
Old 12-07-09, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers

This was announced a long time ago, so the people complaining about having already bought some/most of this stuff makes no sense. It was no surprise what this would be and that's why I didn't buy any of it earlier.
Yes it is true that this was announced before the director's cut release, but (what convinced me to get the previous one) was that this was suppose to be a barebones release with just the two commentaries. The fact that they made this a box set with no new material is the reason this release is pissing everyone off.
Old 12-08-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by biglou114
Yes it is true that this was announced before the director's cut release, but (what convinced me to get the previous one) was that this was suppose to be a barebones release with just the two commentaries. The fact that they made this a box set with no new material is the reason this release is pissing everyone off.
I'm not sure about that. News back in July, that I'm reading now, says what's in this set. I'm not seeing anything that's supposed to be new, just the box set has pretty much everything.
Old 12-14-09, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This company really sucks. I'm so through with them after I finish up using my credit. I ordered this release in early/mid November and it has been on backorder ever since. I've called a number of times, but they wouldn't tell me anything other than they used to give out the dates when they would receive new stock on backorder items, but then it was decided to never tell any customers any of that information anymore. Then today I got this email from them:

Thank you for your recent order. Due to an overwhelming demand for the item(s listed, we are temporarily out of stock. If you ordered with a credit card, you will not be charged until the item ships. We expect to receive this merchandise and ship your order within twenty-one days.

If you do not wish to wait, please contact our Customer Service department via email at [email protected] to cancel. We apologize for the delay and than you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,
Dvdplanet.com
Old 12-14-09, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a better email that I got a week or so ago from DeepDiscount, where they just said basically "it's out of stock, can't you read?" Good to know we should have this "soon". Is this limited or something, why the long backorder?
Old 12-14-09, 09:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so has anyone listened to the commentaries - are they worth 'the' upgrade?
Old 12-15-09, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by jmj713
That's a better email that I got a week or so ago from DeepDiscount, where they just said basically "it's out of stock, can't you read?" Good to know we should have this "soon". Is this limited or something, why the long backorder?
Uhhhh.....not to be the bearer of bad news, but my understanding was that it WAS LIMITED. Both the ultimate boxes (dvd and blu ray) are limited. It says so on the back cover and a bunch of internet stores have had difficulty keeping the Blu Ray in stock. DVDfile.com reported that there were ONLY 70,000 copies of the Blu Ray.

To be concise, if you want one now you better look around the internet, order one on Amazon (which is 9 to 14 days ship time but I bet you get it from Amazon.com) or get one on Ebay. I think these actually have some moderate value 6 months from now.
Old 12-15-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It's dropped to $31 a couple of times on Amazon. Just keep it in your cart and watch for a price drop again.
Old 12-15-09, 02:02 PM

I've seen it everywhere at BM shops, then again places like Barnes and Noble sell it for $59.99.
Old 12-15-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by johnglad
Uhhhh.....not to be the bearer of bad news, but my understanding was that it WAS LIMITED. Both the ultimate boxes (dvd and blu ray) are limited. It says so on the back cover and a bunch of internet stores have had difficulty keeping the Blu Ray in stock. DVDfile.com reported that there were ONLY 70,000 copies of the Blu Ray.
70,000 is not very limited, especially if it's blu-ray copies. See any of the limited edition Anchor Bay sets that were easy to find years after they came out.
Old 12-15-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just got the same email as above from DD with the 21 days. We'll see...
Old 12-15-09, 05:04 PM

70,000 is not very limited, especially if it's blu-ray copies. See any of the limited edition Anchor Bay sets that were easy to find years after they came out.
I loved those Anchor Bay releases.
I couldn't disagree more, but that is what makes the world go round....

I here ya on those limited Anchor Bay releases, and I owned/own many of them. Many of those were released again. However, to my recollection NONE of those were NEW RELEASES. Supergirl and Army of Darkness and Opera and Stunt Man, etc. just don't move copies like a new Watchmen that came out this year. Catalog vs. new release is key.

A sealed Watchmen Ultimate set could easily sell for $60-$100 in a year. Easy. But that is just me, and NO ONE should ever invest in dvds. Unless you know exactly what you are doing...
Old 12-16-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by johnglad
I loved those Anchor Bay releases.
I couldn't disagree more, but that is what makes the world go round....

I here ya on those limited Anchor Bay releases, and I owned/own many of them. Many of those were released again. However, to my recollection NONE of those were NEW RELEASES. Supergirl and Army of Darkness and Opera and Stunt Man, etc. just don't move copies like a new Watchmen that came out this year. Catalog vs. new release is key.

A sealed Watchmen Ultimate set could easily sell for $60-$100 in a year. Easy. But that is just me, and NO ONE should ever invest in dvds. Unless you know exactly what you are doing...
Only other reason I disagree on Watchmen is that it wasn't that popular. After the first week it crashed at theaters.
Old 12-16-09, 11:51 AM

I am also pretty sure Warner's will release the DC as a stand alone eventually. At that point the box is the only thing that is collectible.
Old 12-20-09, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

My local Best Buy had one on the shelf, finally, yesterday. I picked it up. They are still out there!
Old 12-23-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jmj713
That's a better email that I got a week or so ago from DeepDiscount, where they just said basically "it's out of stock
I got same email. I am a patient man. tick tock tick tock.
Old 12-23-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nycdude
I got same email. I am a patient man. tick tock tick tock.
Just a warning, the last time I got an email like that was with the Batman Animated Series set. Glad I picked it up elsewhere instead of waiting since it went out of print before they got more stock and the price shot up around $40.
Old 12-24-09, 03:50 PM

Just a warning, the last time I got an email like that was with the Batman Animated Series set. Glad I picked it up elsewhere instead of waiting since it went out of print before they got more stock and the price shot up around $40.
Damn Mister Peepers, you bought 500 movies in 8 days?!?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.