Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince --> Dec. 8th!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince --> Dec. 8th!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
I was disappointed the Canadian 2-disc DVD of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" had NO English subtitles or Closed-Captioning. Normally, I like to turn those on if I didn't understand a line of dialogue or want to see how something like "Horcrux" is spelled. WB Canada only provided the option for French subtitles. Is it the same on the US DVD?
Both the Blu-ray Disc and the DVD version included with it have English subtitles — I just checked. I am not sure about the regular DVD release, but you could ask in the DVD Forum (you posted in the HD forum). I am astonished that the Canadian DVD does not have English subtitles; how much disc space could a subtitle track take?
Old 12-27-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince --> Dec. 8th!

I have a quick question... I rented Half-Blood Prince at Blockbuster, and for some reason, I keep hearing a static crackle during the film. I switched my PS3 settings to PCM and the noise stops, but I'm wondering if I'm losing any sound quality because of this. It's the first time this has ever happened to me. I tested the disc on two other players, and the same sound is heard.

Wonder what could be wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, now everything is making a static/hiss sound. I think my receiver finally died. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to hear them.

Last edited by Abe.; 12-27-09 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince --> Dec. 8th!

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
HD DVD Combos came out (HD DVD on one side, DVD on the other). The BDA has no intentions of doing that with Blu-ray. They will continue to toss in the extra DVD/DC disc as its cheaper and the consumer sees it as a better value anyway.
How ironic that these words from just a mere few months ago turned out to be incorrect thanks to Universal....
Old 12-28-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe.
I have a quick question... I rented Half-Blood Prince at Blockbuster, and for some reason, I keep hearing a static crackle during the film. I switched my PS3 settings to PCM and the noise stops, but I'm wondering if I'm losing any sound quality because of this. It's the first time this has ever happened to me. I tested the disc on two other players, and the same sound is heard.

Wonder what could be wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, now everything is making a static/hiss sound. I think my receiver finally died. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm open to hear them.
The first thing I would check is your cable connections, both at the receiver and at each speaker. A dirty or loose connection could cause the problem you describe.