Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu Ray Books...Your Thought?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu Ray Books...Your Thought?

Old 09-14-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 125 Posts
Re: Blu Ray Books...Your Thought?

I've got 6 of them and I like them.
Old 09-14-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

4 here....well 3 blu's & 1 hd dvd. I even double dipped just so I could have the 300 CE digibook. That one is too sweet as the front cover is raised up some.
Old 09-15-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
KotCS is not a Digibook. Its the Blu-ray packaged with a book. The two are not bound together.
Yes, they are. I own it and it's def a book with the BD discs on a tray inside. It's not a book and a BD case in one package. It might not be an official DigiBook, but it's pretty much the same thing.
Old 09-15-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 289 Likes on 205 Posts

KotCS is not a Digibook. Its the Blu-ray packaged with a book. The two are not bound together.
Yeah, like Killer said, the blurays are absolutely bound with the book - it's a slightly different layout with different dimensions that slides into a slip-cover, but it's a digibook packaging all the way.
Old 09-15-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Interesting. I've seen the BD + Book by itself at Target. Was that a different exclusive?
Old 09-15-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

Interesting. I've seen the BD + Book by itself at Target. Was that a different exclusive?
Maybe, but I can confirm what KillerCannibal said. Mine is a digibook as well. Got it on release day.
Old 09-15-09, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now I need to get one of these.
Old 09-15-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Now I need to get one of these.
Shouldn't be too hard. I routinely see Target stores blowing them out for as little as $19. Of course, it's been a little while since I really looked...
Old 09-15-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

I really like digibooks and think they're a great way to set apart certain classic and important films with unique packaging.

My only complaint is that WB seems to be pretty random in their selection of what titles get a digibook. Falling Down doesn't exactly fit next to the likes of North by Northwest in the classic cinema canon. Cool Hand Luke, on the other hand, would be a no-brainer for a digibook, but it has a standard BD case. Go figure.

The digibooks I currently own are:
Dr. Strangelove
How The West Was Won
Bonnie & Clyde
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Matrix
Batman ('89)

Last edited by kefrank; 09-15-09 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would love them if they were the same height as a regular case.
Old 09-15-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eiker_ir View Post
would love them if they were the same height as a regular case.
DigiBooks? They are not. The Indy set is taller then other DigiBooks as well.
Old 09-15-09, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
Shouldn't be too hard. I routinely see Target stores blowing them out for as little as $19. Of course, it's been a little while since I really looked...
I'll have to check my Target because now I want one. If anyone wants to sell their copy (or trade it for my normal BD + cash) let me know.
Old 09-15-09, 05:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxflier View Post
I think they're awful.
Getting a book with cool stuff about the movie is great, but give it to me inside a case.
Agree completely. The book packaging is just planned obsolescence and will become unglued in a few years (like 9/10 similiarly packaged DVD have). Gimme a standard blue case with a printed booklet that fits inside. Or add the images and text as a Burns style montage and voice over as q video extra on disc...

Last edited by HumanMedia; 09-15-09 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-15-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have 300, Falling Down and Poltergeist. There's nowhere to even put the 300 Digital Copy disc. If I could trade them for the same thing in a regular case with just an insert booklet, I would.

The thing I hate the most is the back spec sheet not being the actual back cover. It gets too beat up if you leave it booger-glued in place, so I have to fold it and throw it inside the book.
Old 09-15-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Old 09-15-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 85 Posts

I have two, I just don't care for the irregular size of them... and I don't really see the point. I gave the booklets a cursory glance and that was it... If they offer them in a regular case down the road I'll be tempted to trade-in. Do they really expect to sell any more than they would with a shiny slipcover? (which I also don't like)
Old 09-15-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
I have 300, Falling Down and Poltergeist. There's nowhere to even put the 300 Digital Copy disc. If I could trade them for the same thing in a regular case with just an insert booklet, I would.

The thing I hate the most is the back spec sheet not being the actual back cover. It gets too beat up if you leave it booger-glued in place, so I have to fold it and throw it inside the book.
Those are my two biggest problems. I hate any packaging with those stupid sheets glued to the back. I still own a bunch of these books though, thanks to that recent Warner sale.

The Matrix digital copy is the same way. It came in a sleeve glued to the back. It's a good thing I don't care about digital copies because I have no idea where the hell I put that disc.
Old 09-16-09, 12:26 AM

The thing with KOTCS digibook is that it was an exclusive to one store(Target Im thinking) Other stores had different exclusives for it as well and they weren't all digibooks like most of DB releases. It's possible they had 2 different ones at target.

I bought mine from Ebay so I don't remember which store had the digibook exclusive
Old 09-16-09, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 609 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyRabbit View Post
I bought mine from Ebay so I don't remember which store had the digibook exclusive
As mentioned the KOTCS digibook was a Target exclusive.
Old 09-16-09, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by smashthesymbols View Post
It's a good thing I don't care about digital copies because I have no idea where the hell I put that disc.
I'm not really into digital copies either, but the digital copy disc in a separate sleeve is actually preferable to me. You only need the disc once to download the digital copy and then it's worthless, so it goes to the trash or recycle bin. I don't see a reason to reserve tray space for it.
Old 09-16-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only digibook I have is Silverado. I would have prefered a standard case. However, it was just $14 and change for a movie I love (and looks and sounds beautiful on BD) so I wasn't about to pass up.
Old 09-16-09, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
The only digibook I have is Silverado. I would have prefered a standard case. However, it was just $14 and change for a movie I love (and looks and sounds beautiful on BD) so I wasn't about to pass up.
How is the quality of this blu ray?
Worth it to buy?
Old 09-16-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love digibook packaging. I think it's great personally. It's more unique and useful to my desires. Having something to read along with the film is a great idea - the more essays included, in particular, the better. That aspect makes me feel like these are true film fan editions - akin to Criterion releases because of their nice booklets.
Old 09-16-09, 03:23 PM

I like the books, only have a couple though. Why are they releasing a standard version of Amadeus now though? If they release them as books, they should leave them alone and focus their efforts on releasing different movies!
Old 09-16-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by frumaster View Post
I like the books, only have a couple though. Why are they releasing a standard version of Amadeus now though? If they release them as books, they should leave them alone and focus their efforts on releasing different movies!
It's not as though they spent time to actively create a new edition. Like most special packaging, once the initial run is gone the titles will switch to a standard case for cost reasons. At least I assume that's the case.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.