Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will blu ray ever get rid of those hideous blue cases?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Will blu ray ever get rid of those hideous blue cases?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-09, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Will blu ray ever get rid of those hideous blue cases?

Originally Posted by Chadm
sorry maybe I should have been a little more specific. It's not the fact that the cases themselves are blue, it's the fact that each case has an inch long blue border across the top of each case for the sole purpose of specifying that what you're buying is indeed Blu Ray. I don't burn dvd's that I want to own for the same reason the blu ray packaging turns me off. because I like covers, packaging, insert's slip cover's etc. I don't need a 5 by 1 inch blue border across the top to let me know what I'm buying. it's ugly. I like the artwork and the cover. It's like if you bought a Beatles Sgt Pepper's LP and instead of that iconic cover being shown in full, there's a big black LP strip across 20 % of the cover that says "THIS IS A RECORD".

It's just a major turn off for me. I want the cover, not the big blue advertisement for blu ray.
It's for the dumb masses who never could figure out the difference between Fullscreen or Widescreen. Have you ever taken a look at those DVD covers which plaster those words (or UNRATED/DIRECTOR'S CUT/EXTENDED EDITION/etc.) all over the artwork? Companies pander to the lowest common denominator...
Old 09-02-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

sad to say thats really one of the main reasons I haven't started collecting blu ray's yet.
That's your (confusing) choice. Enjoy your decision.
It just seems like an odd reason to completely pass on the many splendors of Blu-Ray, however.

Personally, I like the smaller cases.

Last edited by Pointyskull; 09-02-09 at 09:21 AM.
Old 09-02-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I like the cases. The only ones I really don't care for are the Warner books.
Same. There are some movies I want on Blu that are in the Digibook Cases, but I haven't purchased them yet because they will stick out from the rest of my Blus. I know eventually they'll release 'em in the standard cases, so it's not a huge deal.
Old 09-02-09, 09:38 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
That's your (confusing) choice. Enjoy your decision.
It just seems like an odd reason to completely pass on the many splendors of Blu-Ray, however.

Personally, I like the smaller cases.

Ditto to both. What a strange reason to NOT go hi def. Nearly every other excuse I've heard has been justifiable more than the fact the case says "Blu Ray". Format war, higher prices, etc seem more practical in justifying not to go hi def. But hey, to each their own.
Old 09-02-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like the blu cases as well. They are nice and slim and allow a lot more room for more films when storing them on my shelves. For that matter I like the red HD DVD cases too.
Old 09-02-09, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
You'll have to blame the format war for that big chunk of blu banner on the top of the case. They had to distinguish their HD disc from that other HD disc and the competitors decided to do it with a big color bar above the artwork. If Blu lasts a while, it may phase out.
Not true. Neither side 'forced' the other one to have a slightly larger top. Since Warner and Paramount were Neutral to the formats they wanted to make sure their would be little work involved in making artwork for two different formats. The cases were decided long before (just a change of color for the formats) as they wanted something smaller then DVD so they could stock more on shelves and make the cases standout to consumers. I like them being a bit taller on the top so the security sticker won't rip off the artwork like on DVD.
Old 09-02-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Not true. Neither side 'forced' the other one to have a slightly larger top. Since Warner and Paramount were Neutral to the formats they wanted to make sure their would be little work involved in making artwork for two different formats. The cases were decided long before (just a change of color for the formats) as they wanted something smaller then DVD so they could stock more on shelves and make the cases standout to consumers. I like them being a bit taller on the top so the security sticker won't rip off the artwork like on DVD.
Lionsgate came along and fucked things up with the security sticker on the bottom! My T2 Skynet Ed had some artwork stripped off due to misalignment.
Old 09-02-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by awil1026
Lionsgate came along and fucked things up with the security sticker on the bottom! My T2 Skynet Ed had some artwork stripped off due to misalignment.
Yeah, that's a PITA for me too. They have to put security stickers on 3 out of 4 sides of the cases ... I guess it is a success in terms of a theft deterrent though.
Old 09-02-09, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by awil1026
Always hated misalignment's. The most recent one for me was The Mask didn't have one on the bottom but the standard top sticker was just on the cover in the corner and I didn't notice it so I just pulled it off and past of the art is now gone.
Old 09-02-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Tarantino
I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist.
Old 09-02-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RM811
You can't be serious you won't buy a movie due to the packaging.
I sure wouldn't:

Three of my wife's favorite movies...we will not be buying them until they are released in regular packaging....
Old 09-02-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

the packaging was just one of quite a few reasons I haven't gone blu ray yet. give it a rest guys. all I said was I didn't like it.
Old 09-02-09, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
I sure wouldn't:

Three of my wife's favorite movies...we will not be buying them until they are released in regular packaging....
I guess I should have been more clear.
I wouldn't buy those either due to the inflated prices of the packaging and nowhere to put them, but standard packaging for blu rays is not nearly as offensive as those. If the packaging for the movie is bad just put the disc in a standard dvd case and then packaging is not an issue. Then they all match on your movie shelf as well.
Old 09-02-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buckee1
I like the blu cases as well. They are nice and slim and allow a lot more room for more films when storing them on my shelves. For that matter I like the red HD DVD cases too.
Old 09-02-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Meh. I'm pretty much indifferent to them. I didn't care much for 'em at first either, but the little buggers have grown on me somewhat. I'm just glad Criterion came along with some much classier looking cases that are also the perfect size, imo.
Old 09-02-09, 12:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

the packaging was just one of quite a few reasons I haven't gone blu ray yet. give it a rest guys. all I said was I didn't like it.
Then why start a thread about it? Surely you weren't assuming to start a thread and no one respond to it?

Last edited by E Unit; 09-02-09 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

well you said in your first post it was your MAIN reason. A ridiculous complaint
Old 09-02-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

To be fair, The Incredible Hulk and Green Lantern: First Flight have green cases. So there's two to purchase.
Old 09-02-09, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for coming to the Blu-ray forum to let us know you don't buy Blu-ray discs because you don't like the cases. Why would think anyone cares?
Old 09-02-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This makes no sense. I'm sticking with the format-war explanation for the big blue margin for blu-ray and the big red margin for HD-DVD.
Old 09-02-09, 02:06 PM
Suspended

This makes no sense. I'm sticking with the format-war explanation for the big blue margin for blu-ray and the big red margin for HD-DVD.
Yes, it does for the cases being the same size for different formats. You are bitching about the 'extra' plastic on the top of the cases, right? Man, people really do bitch about anything.
Old 09-02-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

High definition movies in translucent blue cases that fit in your hand, played in things called "blu-ray" players on big screens you hang on your wall like a picture frame that are called "plasma screens"...

...it's just like living in the FUTURE!
Old 09-02-09, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, it does for the cases being the same size for different formats. You are bitching about the 'extra' plastic on the top of the cases, right? Man, people really do bitch about anything.
I'm not bitching about anything. I'm just explaining why so much of the case is left uncovered by the label/cover art (unlike DVD where the entire case is covered by the label)- so that the color of the case is impossible to miss. It's that color that distinguished Blu from HD-DVD.
Old 09-02-09, 02:24 PM
Suspended

I'm not bitching about anything. I'm just explaining why so much of the case is left uncovered by the label/cover art (unlike DVD where the entire case is covered by the label)- so that the color of the case is impossible to miss. It's that color that distinguished Blu from HD-DVD.
So you think the format war forced them to add extra plastic to the top of the case? Perhaps it was to catch consumers eyes instead of normal black they had been used to?
Old 09-02-09, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's just a fucking case!!!!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.