Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Panasonic DMP-BD80 set up questions

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 11:13 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I just bought the Panasonic DMP-BD80 and am having some issues.

First of all, I have the player hooked up to my Sony HDTV through HDMI, but I am using the Panasonic DMP-BD80's 5.1 analog outputs to run into my 6-channel direct inputs of my Marantz receiver where it's amplified and plays through my 5.1 set up. This means I have to adjust the delay and volume levels on the blu-ray player itself, not my receiver. But when I adjust the levels on the player I hear no difference, it does nothing.

I hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-28-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^First, when using a 5.1 analog system, make sure the "Analog Audio Output" is set to "2ch (downmix) + 5.1ch", NOT "7.1ch". I assume that you have done this.

Second, make sure that your speakers are set to large or small (as needed), NOT "No" (except that "LB" and "RB" should be "No" for a 5.1 system). I assume that you have done this.

Now, this is subtle, but the manual is incorrect in how to adjust the speaker levels. It suggests that you can do so with the up/down arrows while listening to the test tone. As you have found, THAT DOESN'T WORK. Instead, you need to adjust each speaker individually in the same manner you use to set large/small/off and distance. Instead of running "Test", use the left/right/up/down arrows to get to the speaker you want to adjust. Each speaker has three adjustments: distance, large/small/off, and volume. When you have the volume adjustment highlighted, hit ok. You will see up and down arrows indicated. Adjust the decibels as needed (0 to -6 db for left/right speakers and 0 to -12 db for center). If you are using a sound level meter, you can estimate how many db you need to adjust from the readings you get.

The best way is to measure the volume during a test tone run and set the softest speaker to 0. The others you will have to lower individually, as needed, until they match the "0" speaker. Each time you do an adjustment you need to use the arrow keys to return to "Test" and run the test tones again. You will need to do several iterations of this to get all the speakers balanced properly but, with patience, it can be done.

Yes, this volume adjustment method is poorly designed and a nuisance. But it does work this way. I assume that the inability to adjust volumes directly during test tones, as stated in the manual, is a bug in programming of the player. My method is a work-around.

Good luck!