Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar Cars double-dip 11/10

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-09, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$49.99 retail price. Seriously?
For a double-dip with only the addition of a new audio track and 2 cars?
Anyone have any more info?

Here's the press release:

Cars gets a spot polish

With the upcoming release of Up and Monsters Inc. in November, Pixar is also re-releasing Cars as a slightly fine tuned version of the existing release.
The new version will come with a DVD copy of the film and two die cast cars. The Blu-ray itself will carry all the same extras as the existing release, but will additionally have a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track. (It is unknown whether this version will have basic BD-Live functions as later Pixar releases have had.)
If you haven't picked up Cars, or that DTS track is a deal breaker, then this release will make you happy on November 10th
Old 08-24-09, 02:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Disney/Pixar Cars double-dip 11/10

Good to see Disney cares about Blu-ray enough to re-release the title at a more expensive price while forgetting about all the other titles in their catalog. Superb job.
Old 08-24-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

At least they're not adding any new features.
Old 08-24-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't upgraded this from DVD yet. May not buy the new version either.
Old 08-24-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Hopefully there's an upgrade incentive, and the cars sell for $30 like they did with the last release. At least, that's my criteria for purchase.
Old 08-24-09, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Not enough for me to rebuy.
Old 08-24-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Good to see Disney cares about Blu-ray enough to re-release the title at a more expensive price while forgetting about all the other titles in their catalog. Superb job.
Is it not enough we're getting both UP and Monsters Inc. on the same day? We're also getting Snow White a little before then, and Dumbo is coming in the spring as well. I'm sure the picture quality will be the same, and all that's really going to be new is an audio track. It's not as if they had to put THAT much effort into this release.
Old 08-24-09, 03:32 PM
Banned

[insert rant against Disney here]
RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH RAH
[/end rant]

*listens to Disney cash registers ringing uncontrollably in the background*
Old 08-24-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Is it not enough we're getting both UP and Monsters Inc. on the same day? We're also getting Snow White a little before then, and Dumbo is coming in the spring as well. I'm sure the picture quality will be the same, and all that's really going to be new is an audio track. It's not as if they had to put THAT much effort into this release.
I think his point is that this is a really pointless re-release, as the existing disc is more than sufficient, and it is now taking up a spot on the schedule/pressing plants that could go to a new title instead....it's not like this is a Warner title that previously only had a lossy audio track and it is now being upgraded to lossless.....

Disney has been the least proficient major studio when it comes to releasing Blu-ray Discs this year, and the last thing they need to do is waste time on a newly authored Cars disc just to swap out the perfectly fine PCM track for a DTS-HD MA one instead....I'd have no beef with this "re-release", if it was merely a re-promotion of the title, and instead they were just throwing in the previously released DVD with the pre-existing BD....but I agree with Gizmo that taking the time to press new discs for this just to switch lossless audio tracks to a different codec is wasteful...
Old 08-24-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

To me Cars was awesome as it is... Why not give us Incredibles or Toy Story or Finding Nemo...
Old 08-24-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
To me Cars was awesome as it is... Why not give us Incredibles or Toy Story or Finding Nemo...
Because 3 new-to-BD titles on one day is overkill.
Old 08-24-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OP' at least list your source for the info...
Old 08-24-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll get it, I like the BD/DVD combos and I don't have Cars (or a Blu Ray player) yet. The price is ridiculous, I do agree with that.
Old 08-24-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I already have it on Blu-ray. DTS-HD-MA is great, but not worth a re-buy like this... I'll stick to my current copy.

Honestly, I don't think they really intend on people double-dipping. This is mainly for those who haven't already purchased it.
Old 08-24-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Why in the hell can't they redo those early titles that were BD25/MPEG-2 instead? Would new video encodes really cost that much more than "reformatting" a lossless track into another kind of lossless? Hey, while they're at it, they could have, you know, put back those extras on Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. No, they'd rather put the same disc in a boxed set with two others of his movies this fall. I'll admit that I didn't care for any of those titles myself, but I know there are some who would love a new JASBSB, Pearl Harbor (with director's cut), and Gone in 60 Seconds.

I'm surprised they didn't just wait for the sequel to release this. Will they dip again then?
Old 08-24-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well Cars doesn't need a new encode, does it? I think it's pretty damn good.
Old 08-24-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Well Cars doesn't need a new encode, does it? I think it's pretty damn good.
Cars is an AVC encode. He's talking about other releases.
Old 08-24-09, 06:10 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Waste of space and another title that Disney just had to re-release when they continue to delay others or keep them on the TBD list. Did we really need a CE of No Country for Old Men? Do we really need another Cars release so they can swap out the PCM track for an identical sounding DTS MA? All they have to do is just repackage the current Cars disc with a DVD/DC inside a white envelope like Sleeping Beauty. But no, they are tossing is some lame toys and adding another $15 to the price. How about a real date for Rounders, Disney? Or all the other titles that have been sitting in limbo for 3 years now?
Old 08-24-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Waste of space and another title that Disney just had to re-release when they continue to delay others or keep them on the TBD list. Did we really need a CE of No Country for Old Men? Do we really need another Cars release so they can swap out the PCM track for an identical sounding DTS MA? All they have to do is just repackage the current Cars disc with a DVD/DC inside a white envelope like Sleeping Beauty. But no, they are tossing is some lame toys and adding another $15 to the price. How about a real date for Rounders, Disney? Or all the other titles that have been sitting in limbo for 3 years now?
Look, I agree with you, I'm just saying that it's not like they're making it one of their BIG releases. Those spots belong to Snow White, and Dumbo, and we're getting Monsters Inc as an in-between tie-in bonus with UP. Can't say I feel like I'm being cheated here. Let's say next year they made CARS a new release platinum hit to take the October spot instead of something else, I'd be pissed, but that's not exactly what they're doing here.
Old 08-24-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm shocked there isn't a Digital Copy included as well.
Old 08-24-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Because Cars is already optimized for HD and can just get some shiny new packaging. I would assume the others would take more time. Oh, and Toy Story will hit next year when TS3 is due out.
Old 08-24-09, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
OP' at least list your source for the info...
I don't know about the OP but I saw it here this morning:http://www.pixartalk.com/2009/08/22/...lu-ray-coming/

Still haven't gotten it on BD, but I'm in no hurry as it is. Gimme the Incredibles or Toy Story.
Old 08-24-09, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Why in the hell can't they redo those early titles that were BD25/MPEG-2 instead? Would new video encodes really cost that much more than "reformatting" a lossless track into another kind of lossless? Hey, while they're at it, they could have, you know, put back those extras on Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. No, they'd rather put the same disc in a boxed set with two others of his movies this fall. I'll admit that I didn't care for any of those titles myself, but I know there are some who would love a new JASBSB, Pearl Harbor (with director's cut), and Gone in 60 Seconds.
THIS

I'd love an AVC encoded J&SBSB on a BD-50 along with all of its original DVD SE extra features, and they should have also put the Tea Party doc on it instead of on Clerks...wasted opportunity if you ask me, I think we'll be waiting an extra long time for a better J&SBSB BD now (if ever)....Disney sucks though, least prolific major studio on BD, and too damn cheap to even carry over all of the existing bonus features for Chasing Amy!
Old 08-24-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

I still haven't picked up the DVD version since it was so bare-bones, and this type of behavior certainly isn't enticing me to upgrade to Blu.
Old 08-24-09, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
Hey, while they're at it, they could have, you know, put back those extras on Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. No, they'd rather put the same disc in a boxed set with two others of his movies this fall. I'll admit that I didn't care for any of those titles myself, but I know there are some who would love a new JASBSB, Pearl Harbor (with director's cut), and Gone in 60 Seconds.
Not trying to go off-topic, but thats my one reason for not wanting to buy the 3-pack of Clerks, Chasing Amy & JASBSB. But I might end up buying it depending on price.

Back on-topic, cars already w/ a double-dip? not happening for me. i have it on bluray already, and i see no reason for this double-dip, imo. the DTS-HD audio isnt a selling point to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.