Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Trick 'r Treat - October 6th!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Trick 'r Treat - October 6th!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Trick 'r Treat - October 6th!

I thought the PQ was very nice. Like doc said, much of the movie takes place at night, but it was handled well. There were a few places that I would guess (pure speculation though) that the DVD would probably struggle with, especially the foggy scenes in the rock quarry. The Blu stayed very clear throughout and handled the black levels nicely. Yes, it was a bit soft overall and it's not demo material, but I've seen much worse.
Old 10-07-09, 10:40 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
The cover art for this is awesome. I thought it was gonna be the same as the slipcover, but it isn't.

well that cover is somewhat of a spoiler if you ask me.
Old 10-07-09, 11:50 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
Has anyone entered their digital copy code into the Buy 5 Get 1 Free website yet? It keeps saying my code is invalid, but I'm definitely entering it correctly. I'm wondering whether maybe they just haven't been activated yet.
Just tried the code again, and it's still not working. Haven't gotten a response to the email yet either.
Old 10-08-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think the cover is a huge spoiler because if someone hadn't told me it was, I don't think I would have put two and two together
Spoiler:
(that the pumpkin face is Sam)....

Last edited by mdc3000; 10-08-09 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

So they have this gem of a movie sit on the shelf for two years and then give it just a low-key straight-to-video release, meanwhile they release one shitty horror movie after another to theaters in what seems like an endless cycle. What is wrong with this picture?
Old 10-08-09, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I don't think the cover is a huge spoiler because if someone hadn't told me it was, I don't think I would have put two and two together (that the pumpkin face is Sam)....
Well, now anyone who reads this doesn't even have to try putting 2 and 2 together.
Old 10-08-09, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think the cover is a huge spoiler because if someone hadn't told me it was, I don't think I would have put two and two together (that the pumpkin face is
Spoiler:
Sam)....
Yes, thanks for turning the non-spoiler into a definite spoiler! Getting ready to watch this tonight.

Edited to remove the quoted spoiler. D'oh!

Last edited by MoviePage; 10-08-09 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So they have this gem of a movie sit on the shelf for two years and then give it just a low-key straight-to-video release, meanwhile they release one shitty horror movie after another to theaters in what seems like an endless cycle. What is wrong with this picture?
The picture sucks. To see a supposedly good movie like Paranormal Activity we have to go online and demand it. This happens while studios throw shit like the Grudge 3 or market stuff like White Out as horror and release that crap on us without us asking for it.
Old 10-08-09, 11:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Yes, thanks for turning the non-spoiler into a definite spoiler! Getting ready to watch this tonight.
Shaking my head, and finger, at a couple of the last few posts. Thanks for spoiling it people!
Old 10-08-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone compared the BD pic quality to the DVD?
Old 10-08-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

blu-ray.com review is up
Old 10-08-09, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
well that cover is somewhat of a spoiler if you ask me.

no slip cover, mine came with one?
Old 10-08-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Well, now anyone who reads this doesn't even have to try putting 2 and 2 together.
They never address Sam by his name though, so unless you know the movie and know what I'm talking about, you'd never know who that was... It's not much of a spoiler because that scene isn't even played for shock value IMO....how big of a spoiler is it if WB put it on the cover I hadn't seen the movie before seeing the so called spoiler image and it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie at all... well, I didn't LOVE the movie, but don't think that was a contributing factor.

Last edited by mdc3000; 10-08-09 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They never address Sam by his name though, so unless you know the movie and know what I'm talking about, you'd never know who that was... It's not much of a spoiler because that scene isn't even played for shock value IMO....how big of a spoiler is it if WB put it on the cover I hadn't seen the movie before seeing the so called spoiler image and it didn't ruin my enjoyment of the movie at all... well, I didn't LOVE the movie, but don't think that was a contributing factor.
Well, in all fairness, they haven't known what do to with this film from Day One, so putting a quasi-spoiler smack on the cover doesn't surprise me much.

Secondly,
Spoiler:
even if most people don't know who Sam is by name, I think it's fairly obvious that the sack-headed kid in the film is hiding a secret, so I still think that's a spoiler for people who haven't seen the film and want to be surprised by his reveal. But I agree putting it on the cover was a dumb move.

Last edited by islandclaws; 10-08-09 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ Fox put
Spoiler:
Qui Gon's Funeral
on the tracklist for The Phantom Menace soundtrack, and Sony put
Spoiler:
superhero Charlize Theron
on the cover of Hancock, so anything is possible.
Old 10-08-09, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Secondly, even if most people don't know
Spoiler:
who Sam is by name, I think it's fairly obvious that the sack-headed kid in the film is hiding a secret, so I still think that's a spoiler for people who haven't seen the film and want to be surprised by his reveal.
But I agree putting it on the cover was a dumb move.
Well, now it's certainly spoiled thanks to your non-spoilerized post. Maybe knowing the name while watching the movie might not have been an issue, but from your description I will definitely know.

Ah well, I'm not generally too upset by spoilers, but this is a little irritating and some of the more hardcore spoiler-avoiders out there will rip this thread a new one.
Old 10-08-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Well, now it's certainly spoiled thanks to your non-spoilerized post. Maybe knowing the name while watching the movie might not have been an issue, but from your description I will definitely know.

Ah well, I'm not generally too upset by spoilers, but this is a little irritating and some of the more hardcore spoiler-avoiders out there will rip this thread a new one.
Hahaha... good point. Fixed.
Old 10-08-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have yet to see this title on the shelf!
Old 10-08-09, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I have yet to see this title on the shelf!
Sold out of dvd and blu-ray versions when I went to Best Buy Tuesday. Kind of surprised me.
Old 10-09-09, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by madlost1
Sold out of dvd and blu-ray versions when I went to Best Buy Tuesday. Kind of surprised me.
Same here. An employee said they only got 3 of each in and they were all gone by the time I got out of work.
Old 10-10-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Well this wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. Wish I just rented it. Up for sale it goes.
Old 10-10-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it a great film? No. Did it live up to the hype? No. However, I felt this to be one of the more 'fun' Halloween films I've seen in a while, because it wasn't a straight-out slaughter fest, which is what Hollywood seems to think Halloween is synonymous with these days. I was pleasantly surprised. The movie started out slow, but gradually picked up the pace until the final scenes. Nice.
Old 10-11-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm not a big horror fan at all and I hate all this dreck the studios have been puttig out which is why I had higher hopes for this one. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't great IMO.

At least I still have Drag Me To Hell to look forward to.
Old 10-11-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Now I'm torn about getting this. I might just end up "renting" it On Demand for $5.99 instead of shelling out $25.

My only worry is... what if I love it? Then I will have ended up paying $31 overall when I actually buy it. Yeah, I'm weird like that.
Old 10-11-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't buy into all the hype for this film, personally, and I'm glad I didn't because I would have been disappointed. I went into it with an open mind, and I found this to be a pretty entertaining ride. It's a horror anthology that doesn't present just four different stories, it actually ties them together. I think the tales that are told aren't straight up horror at all, and instead have been primed to be more like the local legends you might hear in a small town near Halloween. It's hard to try and help you out to decide if you'd really like it or not when I don't want to give anything away, but this does feel more like a movie I might enjoy watching on a fun Halloween night with the place decorated and people coming to my door wearing costumes and such, as opposed to throwing in a movie like 'Saw' just because Hollywood has told me that's the kind of film is synonymous with Halloween nowadays.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.