HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Think the Aspect Ratio War was over?

Old 08-12-09, 03:29 PM

Re: Think the Aspect Ratio War was over?

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom View Post
Exactly...
Except that when the studios listen to the opinion of the "my screen must not have black bars--ever!" crowd, and studios only make a non-OAR discs available, those who want to view the theatrical aspect ratio can't un-do that. There is no UN-zoom button on a player's remote. I can not derive an intended aspect ratio from a disc transfer that has been panned-and-scanned, etc.

That's what enrages those of us that want to see films as the makers intented. Full-screen lovers can always press zoom until their hearts are content and the black bars disappear (and screen resolution drops), but the reverse is not true. We can not recover visual information that has been discarded during the film to DVD transfer to make a fullscreen release...

Last edited by phraseturner; 08-12-09 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-12-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is WRONG. It's plain wrong, and it's indefensible. It should not be a choice; there should not be a pan-and-scan option. Filmmakers choose the aspect ratio of their films for a reason and chopping the sides off simply to fit it into a different frame is probably the most arbitrary and stupid form of censorship.
Old 08-12-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by phraseturner View Post
Except that when the studios listen to the opinion of the "my screen must not have black bars--ever!" crowd, and studios only make a non-OAR discs available, those who want to view the theatrical aspect ratio can't un-do that. There is no UN-zoom button on a player's remote. I can not derive an intended aspect ratio from a disc transfer that has been panned-and-scanned, etc.

That's what enrages those of us that want to see films as the makers intented. Full-screen lovers can always press zoom until their hearts are content and the black bars disappear (and screen resolution drops), but the reverse is not true. We can not recover visual information that has been discarded during the film to DVD transfer to make a fullscreen release...
Old 08-12-09, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
No. Just plain no.

I'm reminded of das Monkey's signature (God rest his soul) about how we are not entitled to our opinion, but to our informed opinion.

I could be of the opinion that fire won't burn my skin, but that doesn't mean that I won't get burned if I stick my hand in a fire.
He died?