Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

UP (blu-ray/dvd/digital copy) 11/10

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

UP (blu-ray/dvd/digital copy) 11/10

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-09, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: UP (blu-ray/dvd/digital copy) 11/10

Looking to see if somebody can help me find the Monsters Inc $8 coupon? I just printed the $10 coupon for Up.

Thanks, Randy
Old 11-11-09, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by randyba
Looking to see if somebody can help me find the Monsters Inc $8 coupon? I just printed the $10 coupon for Up.

Thanks, Randy
Taken from the first post in this thread here (thanks to Mister Peepers):

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/blu-ray-bar...-part-2-a.html

$8 off Monsters Inc (printable/B&M use only).
You need an account at Disney Movie Rewards (free signup). Once logged in to your account, click "My Account" at the top of the page and then type 786936164886 where it says "Enter Code." This is a manufacturer's coupon and you should be able to use it at any B&M store.
Old 11-11-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Wow, another jaw-dropper from Pixar... and not in scope, nice change of pace. I loved this soooo much more at home the 2nd time over the 3D experience in the theater, big thumbs up!
Interesting anecdote: after it was in the theaters for a couple weeks, everyone who saw it that I talked to either loved it or just liked it and thought it could be better - the interesting part is that everyone that thought it could be better saw it in 3-D, while everyone who loved it saw it in 2-D.
Old 11-11-09, 01:56 PM

Thanks, I found it. Now off to Target.
Old 11-11-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got back from Target. $9.99+tax with the online coupon for the 4-disk Blu with the journal.
Old 11-11-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Interesting anecdote: after it was in the theaters for a couple weeks, everyone who saw it that I talked to either loved it or just liked it and thought it could be better - the interesting part is that everyone that thought it could be better saw it in 3-D, while everyone who loved it saw it in 2-D.
Yeah, the last 3D movie I saw right before Up was Monsters vs. Aliens at the IMAX, I was really impressed by the effect, it made a mediocre movie a whole lot better. When I watched the BD at home, meh. Up's 3D was much more low-key than MvA... if anything, I think it detracted/distracted from the movie itself, cause after last night, it's now near the top of my fav Pixar list.
Old 11-12-09, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually meant to post earlier, my Best Buy had about 6 of the Luxo Jr. Editions in-store. I was really tempted to get it, but I can't justify spending that much money.
Old 11-12-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the 3D enhanced UP. Pete Docter's approach was to be subtle, so I don't see how it could be distracting. But they used the depth of 3D to enhance themes and I think it worked really well. I liked it more the second time I saw it, and that was when I watched it in 3D.
Old 11-12-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Dug's Special Mission is a great little short
Old 11-12-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the one negative thing i have to say for this release, is disney not giving us 2D and 3D for this.
otherwise its a great bluray set evn with out the 3d version, i just would have liked the option
Old 11-12-09, 01:47 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
the one negative thing i have to say for this release, is disney not giving us 2D and 3D for this.
otherwise its a great bluray set evn with out the 3d version, i just would have liked the option
Disney will gladly sell you the 3D version sometime next year. Don't worry
Old 11-12-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
I suspect that Pixar wants to wait for a "real" 3D format before releasing their movies that way. I don't think they're satisfied with the colored glasses.
Old 11-12-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

I didn't see it posted but Amazon has a new deal.....

Monsters.Inc (4 Disc Set), Up (4 Disc Set) and Cars BD.......buy all three, enter "PIXARBLU" in promo code and get $26.00 off with free ship

Couldn't pass this deal up...$35.00 for all three!!!
Old 11-12-09, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and i will gladly purchase it then lol, I was hopeing they would have put it on here, since they have released the hannah montana and jonas bros concert films with 3D viewing options, but wasnt surprised that they didnt(seeing as how they didnt include 3d with chicken little, meet the robinsons,or bolt. just disapointed guess we have to wait for the 3d tv and 3d bluray players.
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Disney will gladly sell you the 3D version sometime next year. Don't worry
Old 11-13-09, 12:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones

Monsters.Inc (4 Disc Set), Up (4 Disc Set) and Cars BD.......buy all three, enter "PIXARBLU" in promo code and get $26.00 off with free ship

Holy shit..you're right. I just bought these things. That's an amazing deal.
Old 11-13-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quick question for those that purchased the regular 4-disc Up BD in Canada ... is the text in the trailers shown at startup (and in Sneak Peeks) always in French for you guys?

I bought the Future Shop 4-Disc BD steelbook, but had to exchange the DVD disc. Had to grab a regular copy to swap the disc because the SB was sold out, but I didn't really look at the outer packaging too much. Tried playing the DVD later that night and found that (even though at startup) I was prompted to select a language (English, English for the Hearing Impaired, or Francais), the text of the "Sneak Peeks" video was always in French. The audio was in English if I selected English, and the rest of the menus/audio after that show up properly in English.
Old 11-13-09, 08:45 AM

Caught Up in 3D at the theatre and thought the effects distracted from the movie and there weren't enough as well. 2D should view better IMHO.

As for the subtitles, maybe it's your player settings? I've had BRs (Lost was one) enable subtitles on startup for some strange reason in the past, but I just switched them off with the remote.

Also, if there's some year-end award for worst case design, this thick brick Steelbook is my vote. Hideously thick for no reason except design and the flipper is even worse. Should put 2 holders on each side.
Old 11-13-09, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

^ It wasn't French subtitles, it was the actual burnt in text in the trailers on the disc. All the actual text burnt into the video was in French. The rest of the DVD disc was ok in that it corresponded as expected to the English language selection at startup.

I'm just wondering if I somehow have the French DVD disc, but I'm doubtful because I don't think Disney would have two different DVD discs pressed for the Canadian market ...
Old 11-13-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can try and take a look for you Yavin - but I have the Canadian Steelbook version so I'm not sure if that would be different or not but I have yet to (was never going to) pop in the DVD version... I'll try to do that this afternoon and let you know if it's in french or what.
Old 11-13-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I can try and take a look for you Yavin - but I have the Canadian Steelbook version so I'm not sure if that would be different or not but I have yet to (was never going to) pop in the DVD version... I'll try to do that this afternoon and let you know if it's in french or what.
Thanks! Greatly appreciated!
Old 11-13-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Holy shit..you're right. I just bought these things. That's an amazing deal.
Jesus.

I already got mine though, maybe for the Christmas?
Old 11-13-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by K&AJones

Holy smokes! Thanks for this!
Old 11-13-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Yavin
^ It wasn't French subtitles, it was the actual burnt in text in the trailers on the disc. All the actual text burnt into the video was in French. The rest of the DVD disc was ok in that it corresponded as expected to the English language selection at startup.

I'm just wondering if I somehow have the French DVD disc, but I'm doubtful because I don't think Disney would have two different DVD discs pressed for the Canadian market ...
When I selected ENGLISH off the first menu screen, I got the same result as you - the text in the trailers was FRENCH...so I suspect this was an authoring error on Disney's part... luckily other than testing it out right now, I doubt I'll ever use the dvd version again
Old 11-13-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
When I selected ENGLISH off the first menu screen, I got the same result as you - the text in the trailers was FRENCH...so I suspect this was an authoring error on Disney's part... luckily other than testing it out right now, I doubt I'll ever use the dvd version again
Thanks a lot for checking! I wouldn't have ever put the dvd in to watch either, but only did so because I discovered that the steelbook disc holder was scratching the dvd disc a bit (and after I had exchanged for a nice new disc too!). I ended up swapping the placement of the digital copy disc and the dvd disc.