Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman/Batman : Public Enemies ----> 9/29/09

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Superman/Batman : Public Enemies ----> 9/29/09

Old 09-07-09, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 585 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Superman/Batman : Public Enemies ----> 9/29/09

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
My friend Andrea (whom has used me for V.O. work in the past)invited me.
If it's who I think it is (Andrea Romano?), tell her that I've been a fan of her work for years and that I hope she stays in the business for as long as humanly possible.

Last edited by RocShemp; 09-07-09 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit: Removed post. Didn't know some one had already posted info on the Best Buy exclusive.
Old 09-20-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,209 Posts

I have to admit to feeling kinda let down by this one. :-/

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38485...ublic-enemies/
Old 09-21-09, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

I liked it but yeah, it still was disappointing. I was quite surprised that when you took out the credits, it was only 60-minutes long... Plus the fact that while Wonder Woman and Green Lantern both got TrueHD tracks, this was a quite weak Dolby Digital 5.1 track.
Old 09-27-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 143 Posts

I'm still tempted to get the Blu-Ray at Best Buy (only$21.99). It sounds like an hour of solid action faithful to the story, only made lackluster if you nit pick. I will say that I found Superman/Doomsday and Gotham Knight both entertaining (even though I got the latter mostly for the bonus eps. from the classic series, the GK eps. themselves left something to be desired) . Wonder Woman was a pleasant surprise that I got from Netflix and would like to see a link to a review around here.
Old 09-27-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per Adam's review,the features sound similar to Superman/Doomsday: better than the movie itself.
Old 09-29-09, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

My feelings are very similar to Adam's review. I haven't read the any of the Superman/Batman comics and actually, now I'm less interested about getting them (even though I'm a huge DC/Batman/Superman fan)if they are any close to the story of this film.

Spoiler:
The main problem to me is the story. It's to flawed. I can see Luthor becoming president, similar to what happened in JLU, but why would the superhero community side with Luthor over Superman is what boggles my mind. Superman is the only superhero besides Captain America that all heroes respect, admire and look up to as their leader, no matter what, so it is mind boggling as to why any of them will side against him by unproven, uncorroborated evidence, given by Lex fucking Luthor of all people. Yes, he is the president of the US, but is not the first time that the country has been fucked in the ass and lied by any of them, while Superman on the other hand, has been the poster boy for loyalty, honesty and truth.

I thought at first that this was one of those Elseworld tales, but after searching on Google I found out that it takes in the current Earth 1 continuity. Now, I completely understand the hate for Jeph Loeb, since you have to be a real idiot to believe all these crap. I also understand even more the incredible decline in comics, since what Loeb wrote here goes against all the established history and canon of the DC Universe and turns old comic book fans away from the industry with all these contradicting and conflicting storylines.

The only other weak point I found of the film is the it felt crammed (like most comic book bases animated features) and that the art made Superman look like a teenager. The good part about the film are the spot on voices. They resemble the characters they portray and aren't distracting to the story.

As for the extras, they are very insightful and entertaining and the spotlight on Kevin Conroy makes me wonder why the hell he is used on every other animated film, instead of him just being the voice of Batman in everything animated and on video games. I wouldn't even mind if someone did a cut of the Dark Knight putting Conroy's voice over the godawful parts that Bale talks like Batman with the raspy voice.

In the end, although I have liked some of these animated films, I still believe that they would benefit either by extending the running time to 2 hours each or by just doing all these storylines in a TV animated series. This goes for both Marvel and DC.
Old 09-29-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 768 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
In the end, although I have liked some of these animated films, I still believe that they would benefit either by extending the running time to 2 hours each or by just doing all these storylines in a TV animated series. This goes for both Marvel and DC.
The short running times are becoming a problem for me also. The stories they are attempting to tell are getting more ambitious in terms of complexity, but trying to fit them in a feature a little over an hour is shortchanging them. The final product could almost always be better if given a little space to breathe.
Old 09-30-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 565 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
My friend Andrea (whom has used me for V.O. work in the past)invited me.
next time you see her ask why she picked the incorrect voice cast for Crisis instead of the correct actors she chose for Public Enemies
Old 09-30-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Read the Comic and enjoyed it.

Rented and watched the Movie, enjoyed it - like watching the comic come to life. That said, I did enjoy the comic more than the movie.

Loved the fights, lots of good/bad guys mixing it up with the most super heroes of all time. Batman should have been broken many times, but it is fiction. Superman's was shot with the deadly green stuff and he should have been on the ground, not able to get up, but it is fiction.

Great rental, just an OK buy.

I do own most of the DC Animated movies, but I think I will pass on this one. Wonder Woman is one of my favs, I rented it and LOVED it, just have not gotten around to buy it.
Old 09-30-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp
If it's who I think it is (Andrea Romano?), tell her that I've been a fan of her work for years and that I hope she stays in the business for as long as humanly possible.
Agreed. She's one of the best around in her area... heck, she is the best.
Old 09-30-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,351 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
next time you see her ask why she picked the incorrect voice cast for Crisis instead of the correct actors she chose for Public Enemies
because well known names will sell better than the unknowns.
Old 09-30-09, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I'm fairly certain Andrea Romano stated that it's a question of talent availability and changing things up from time to time. Tim Daly was mentioned as being recast in New Frontier simply because he had just moved to Rhode Island and was unavailable.
Old 09-30-09, 10:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Deftones
Depends on what you are selling. These films are mostly targeted for comic book fans and fans of the characters. We prefer Kevin Conroy and the rest of the regular JLU cast over any stunt casting like Billy Baldwin, who isn't that big of a star to begin with. Most of all, we prefer a good story.