Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

North by Northwest: 11/3/09

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

North by Northwest: 11/3/09

Old 07-20-09, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 915 Likes on 591 Posts
Re: North by Northwest: 11/3/09

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
Given that it was one of their first restorations, they probably went too far with the DNR on it (which would show more on the BD than on the DVD) like they did for Citizen Kane. So, it's good to hear that it was redone.
I've read complaints about DNR in that DVD, but it's been several years since I last watched it and can't remember off the top of my head. It was a standard definition remaster anyway, so Warner couldn't reuse what Lowry did this time around.

I'm very, very glad to have Hitchcock finally on Blu-ray, especially a great one like North by Northwest. Even though To Catch a Thief isn't his best, I'm disappointed that Paramount released two (!) DVDs of it in the high-def era without issuing something on HD DVD or Blu-ray. That wouldn't have been a bad feather for them to have in their cap.
Old 07-20-09, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Day 1 purchase.
Old 07-20-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Day 1 purchase.
Same for me. It will look nice next to the DVD and the $100 Criterion LD that I already own.
Old 07-20-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I'm very, very glad to have Hitchcock finally on Blu-ray, especially a great one like North by Northwest. Even though To Catch a Thief isn't his best, I'm disappointed that Paramount released two (!) DVDs of it in the high-def era without issuing something on HD DVD or Blu-ray. That wouldn't have been a bad feather for them to have in their cap.
Universal is also guilty, their 2-disc SEs of Psycho, Rear Window and Vertigo are all more recent than the last To Catch a Thief, if I remember correctly.
Old 07-20-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Holy crap! That's quite an impressive list of films. Surprised to see a recent title like "Moulin Rouge" on there though.
That's probably the 1952 version.
Old 07-20-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much are you guys getting for your dvd's??? I have one, but will only sell for the right price...
Old 07-20-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
how much are you guys getting for your dvd's??? I have one, but will only sell for the right price...
I just looked up the trade-in value at www.wherehouse.com . My copy is quoted at $5 which means it will either be $4.50 to $5 at FYE. With the extra 20% promotion that they are currently running, it will be worth $5.40 to $6 in cash or $6.75 to $7.50 in store credit.
Old 07-20-09, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Day. One. Purchase. A MUST OWN.

This film is one of my all time favorites. I'm so excited to finally get some Alfred Hitchcock on Blu-ray. It's about time!
Old 07-20-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome!
Old 07-20-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 915 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
Universal is also guilty, their 2-disc SEs of Psycho, Rear Window and Vertigo are all more recent than the last To Catch a Thief, if I remember correctly.
Amazon has the release date for the most recent re-release of To Catch a Thief as March of this year, and the Universal releases were from last Fall. (The TCIT re-release before that was May '07, and that might be what you're thinking of.) I definitely would've preferred those three Universal titles hit Blu-ray if I had my choice, but I could see the studio holding out for a boxed set and then do individual high-def releases down the road. Paramount only has the one now, and even though it's not an overwhelmingly great movie, I bet it would've done pretty decent business (and would have a nice marketing hook to boot) being the first Hitchcock in high-def. Considering how low the MSRP on the latest re-release was in the first place, if nothing else, they could've gotten an extra few bucks out of collectors with a pricier high-def disc. Maybe I'm just impatient for Grace Kelly in VistaVision / 1080p.
Old 07-20-09, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I managed to sell mine for $26.96 on Amazon this morning, but once the pre-order for the new disc shows up, you probably won't get much for the older edition.
Old 07-20-09, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 473 Likes on 393 Posts

Old 07-21-09, 08:48 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
Isn't Universal holding out to release those when the Birds remake comes out? I recall reading that somewhere not to long ago.

If that is the case, it isn't that big of a deal.

I would love to see To Catch A Thief released before all of this.

Now the next question is, what other titles in the Warner catalog would look good (Strangers on a Train, I am looking at you).
Old 07-21-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Even though To Catch a Thief isn't his best, I'm disappointed that Paramount released two (!) DVDs of it in the high-def era without issuing something on HD DVD or Blu-ray. That wouldn't have been a bad feather for them to have in their cap.
Agreed. While it's not in Hitch's top tier, the dynamic visuals in To Catch a Thief are just crying out for a hi-def presentation.
Old 07-21-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
Isn't Universal holding out to release those when the Birds remake comes out? I recall reading that somewhere not to long ago.

If that is the case, it isn't that big of a deal.
I think the problem is that Universal just doesn't want to release any old movies, let alone Hitchcock. As far as I know, they haven't put out anything made before the 80's yet on BD. It was mostly the same way on HD DVD, although they did release a few 70's films (The Sting, The Deer Hunter, and Smokey and the Bandit).
Old 07-21-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So glad to finally have a date for this. Another vote for Day 1 purchase.

Doug
Old 07-21-09, 09:19 AM

I think the problem is that Universal just doesn't want to release any old movies, let alone Hitchcock. As far as I know, they haven't put out anything made before the 80's yet on BD. It was mostly the same way on HD DVD, although they did release a few 70's films (The Sting, The Deer Hunter, and Smokey and the Bandit).
Wasn't The Sting on HD DVD?

However your point is valid, perhaps a lot of these films need additional work.
Old 07-21-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by macnorton View Post
Wasn't The Sting on HD DVD?

However your point is valid, perhaps a lot of these films need additional work.
Yeah, those movies I mentioned were released on HD DVD. That's why I said nothing before the 80's is on BD.

And, I don't know if it's that they need work. I have a feeling they don't think they would sell well compared to recent films.
Old 07-21-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Amazon has the release date for the most recent re-release of To Catch a Thief as March of this year, and the Universal releases were from last Fall. (The TCIT re-release before that was May '07, and that might be what you're thinking of.)
Yeah. I didn't realize they'd put it out yet again for the Centennial Collection.
Old 07-21-09, 12:49 PM

Yeah, those movies I mentioned were released on HD DVD. That's why I said nothing before the 80's is on BD.

And, I don't know if it's that they need work. I have a feeling they don't think they would sell well compared to recent films.
Ok my mistake.

Again, I do agree with your statement. We will have to wait and see at this point.
Old 07-21-09, 12:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper View Post
Holy crap! That's quite an impressive list of films. Surprised to see a recent title like "Moulin Rouge" on there though.
there's also a 1952 version of Moulin Rouge too

is there another version of 'The Black Cauldron' coming out, or are they listing the past release - I thought I had read a special edition is supposed to be coming out (?)
Old 07-21-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 142 Posts

I sold mine for $40 but it was brand new.

The longer you wait, the less you will get for it.
Old 07-21-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think all films should get scanned at the highest possible resolution, but I think the difference between 8k and 4K (which is what studios normally scan their IP's at) will have no impact on how the Blu-ray looks. It makes sense to do it for theatrical re-releases or eventual higher resolution home video formats, so I'm all for it.
Sadly, most HD masters are still done at 2k resolution. 4k is growing, but still a minority.

Even the Digital Intermediate for the new Star Trek was only 2k. So movies like that are effectively locked to 2k forever, regardless of what home video formats come out in the future.
Old 07-21-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Don't get me wrong, I think all films should get scanned at the highest possible resolution, but I think the difference between 8k and 4K (which is what studios normally scan their IP's at) will have no impact on how the Blu-ray looks. It makes sense to do it for theatrical re-releases or eventual higher resolution home video formats, so I'm all for it.
Then we agree. And thus I continue:
Old 07-21-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Sadly, most HD masters are still done at 2k resolution. 4k is growing, but still a minority.

Even the Digital Intermediate for the new Star Trek was only 2k. So movies like that are effectively locked to 2k forever, regardless of what home video formats come out in the future.
I thought I read in Sound and Vision magazine that 4k was the maximum resolution for most 35mm film, and given that HDTV's are essentially 1k, they don't want to spend the money on that detailed resolution unless it's a special project.

VistaVision, however, is a slightly different animal. From wikipedia:

VistaVision is a higher resolution, widescreen variant of the 35 mm motion picture film format which was created engineers at Paramount Pictures in 1954.

Paramount did not buy into anamorphic systems such as CinemaScope but rather, refined the quality of their flat widescreen system by shooting onto a larger film negative which would yield a finer-grained 35mm print than normal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VistaVision

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.