Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I buy XA2 HD Player?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now I currently have Sony S360 Blu-Ray player that I bought 2 days ago but I have not tried any standard discs on it but I heard that the XA2 HD Player is the best at upscaling standard discs due to the Reon Chip and will use the XA2 player only for standard discs and use the Blu-Ray for Blu-Ray movies, should I buy XA2 player or not? Decisions, decisions! Thank you all for your help!!!
Old 07-19-09, 09:29 AM
bub

Re: Should I buy XA2 HD Player?

I have a PS3 for Blu Rays and I like the XA2 for upconverting SD DVD's (as well as for my HD DVD collection) so much that I have another one for back up just in case the first one dies.

I've tried to watch my SD DVD's using the PS3 but there really is no comparison. The XA2 is noticeably better at upconverting SD DVD's.
Old 07-19-09, 10:03 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Just buy an Oppo Bku-ray player (Anchor Bay chip) or an older Samsung 2500/2550 with the REON chip instead. The Samsung can be had for the same price as your S360 while the Oppo is $500. If you're not gonna play HD DVD discs...why bother?

For what its worth my S550 does a decent job with upconverting DVDs.
Old 07-19-09, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just buy an Oppo Bku-ray player (Anchor Bay chip) or an older Samsung 2500/2550 with the REON chip instead. The Samsung can be had for the same price as your S360 while the Oppo is $500. If you're not gonna play HD DVD discs...why bother?

For what its worth my S550 does a decent job with upconverting DVDs.
I read reviews about the Samsung and they are mostly bad reviews, I never heard of a Oppo but I will check that out
Old 07-19-09, 10:24 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by InstantKarma
I read reviews about the Samsung and they are mostly bad reviews, I never heard of a Oppo but I will check that out
Samsung 2500/2550 seems to be a decent player from what I've heard. Has REON and the ability to do Netflix and Pandora (maybe more?). They can be had at some Best Buys for about $250ish....the same price as a used XA2. It's all 2.0 so you can get BD-Live and all that jazz.

Opoo appears to be a fantastic player, but its $499, available only online and does no streaming. It does play SACD/DVD-A and can be made Region free with a firmware hack.

Personally, as much as I don't care for Samsung, I'd recommend that over the Oppo simply because of the price.

What kind of TV do you have? The S360 may be just fine for DVDs. I've never really had any issues with my S550, but my XA1 (Toshiba HD DVD player) blows that out of the water. Oh, and if you decide to keep the S360, return it and buy it from Costco if you can. Their model (BDX2) is identical to the S360 but comes with a backlit remote.
Old 07-19-09, 11:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Samsung 2500/2550 seems to be a decent player from what I've heard. Has REON and the ability to do Netflix and Pandora (maybe more?). They can be had at some Best Buys for about $250ish....the same price as a used XA2. It's all 2.0 so you can get BD-Live and all that jazz.

Opoo appears to be a fantastic player, but its $499, available only online and does no streaming. It does play SACD/DVD-A and can be made Region free with a firmware hack.

Personally, as much as I don't care for Samsung, I'd recommend that over the Oppo simply because of the price.

What kind of TV do you have? The S360 may be just fine for DVDs. I've never really had any issues with my S550, but my XA1 (Toshiba HD DVD player) blows that out of the water. Oh, and if you decide to keep the S360, return it and buy it from Costco if you can. Their model (BDX2) is identical to the S360 but comes with a backlit remote.

I don't have a TV but I am using my Father's TV which is a Samsung (46 inches), I do not have a Costco here