Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Nov 17

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Star Trek: Nov 17

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 09:22 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Nov 17

Thanks for posting about the limited trek set on amazon. Because of it, I ordered before amazon raised the price to 116.99. I would never seen it without the help.
Old 09-07-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g
Thanks for posting about the limited trek set on amazon. Because of it, I ordered before amazon raised the price to 116.99. I would never seen it without the help.
No problem! I'm glad that someone else, other than myself, will enjoy this. I still haven't ordered, yet, because I don't know if I can afford it, but, I really am thinking about it. Just too much stuff coming out! I'll probably bite on this set, but, I've got to make sure I can also afford the other stuff I want to get.

Edit to add: CRAP! I didn't know that they had already raised the price! Dang! I guess I won't be biting on this set, as much as I want it. I may just go the Best Buy route. DARNIT!
Old 09-07-09, 12:49 AM
g

You should still order and see if it gets lowered before release. They still have the preorder price guarantee. You can cancel before it releases if the price doesnt change. And, you never know if it actually sells out, it will be a good deal even at the higher price.

Last edited by g; 09-07-09 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gives me chills

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/k9O-_r27Xlc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/k9O-_r27Xlc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-07-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blu-Ray and DVD presentation from Comic-Con 2009! I can't wait for this to come out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYZBwTNXNXM

Last edited by MadonnasManOne; 09-07-09 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-07-09, 02:49 PM

It's clear now what everyone on my Christmas List will be getting!
Old 09-08-09, 10:36 AM
AOD

What a great movie. Definite purchase.
Old 09-08-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I will be getting the blu ray on day 1. This was my favorite movie of the summer.
Liked the original artwork better but I will get over it since I only ever look at the cover when taking the disc out or putting it back in....
Old 09-08-09, 09:13 PM
g

Amazon actually returned the limited trek set back to 90.99 if anybody is interested.
Old 09-08-09, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by g
Amazon actually returned the limited trek set back to 90.99 if anybody is interested.
Awesome! Now, when do they actually charge you for the order? At the time you place it, or when they ship it? Does anyone know?
Old 09-08-09, 11:59 PM
g

They should charge on shipment. That how its been at amazon in the past.
Old 09-09-09, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by g
They should charge on shipment. That how its been at amazon in the past.
Thanks for the information! I appreciate it. I guess I can always preorder, and if it should turn out I can't afford it, I can cancel before it ships.
Old 09-09-09, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really looking forward to this release. JJ really gets the format and gives us some really good extras on his films in the past.
I really want to see that scene when the Enterprise comes out of Saturns rings (to me, the coolest looking scene in the film) in HD quality. Always reminded me of that bit in STII when she comes up behind the Relient.
Old 09-13-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just looking on iTunes as this film is up for pre-order, here are some of the comments for this.
"This film is brilliant beyond belief!"
"seriously, this is the best film ever! everything about it is brilliant!"
"legendary, film of the century"

I kid you not!
Me? I just enjoyed it alot.
Old 09-25-09, 12:18 AM
Cool New Member

Me, I agree with those comments!!!

Originally Posted by jdslater1
Just looking on iTunes as this film is up for pre-order, here are some of the comments for this.
"This film is brilliant beyond belief!"
"seriously, this is the best film ever! everything about it is brilliant!"
"legendary, film of the century"

I kid you not!
Me? I just enjoyed it alot.
Old 10-25-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep Story wise frankly its a mess. To me almost as bad as transformers 2. But it's trek and the characters are so damn great of course people forget the story basically makes no fucking sense at times.

Also I see big macro blocking during the vulcan transporter scene. Lasts about 30 seconds.
Old 10-25-09, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
Yep Story wise frankly its a mess. To me almost as bad as transformers 2.
See, to me Star Trek looks like Shakespeare compared to Transformers 2, but then again pretty much any release in 2009 looks like Shakespeare next to Tranformers 2, although 2012 does come out in a few weeks.
Old 10-25-09, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

huh? what about the story doesnt make sense at times.
to me its pretty straight forward, and pretty darn easy to follow.
Originally Posted by hdtv00
Yep Story wise frankly its a mess. To me almost as bad as transformers 2. But it's trek and the characters are so damn great of course people forget the story basically makes no fucking sense at times.

Also I see big macro blocking during the vulcan transporter scene. Lasts about 30 seconds.
Old 10-25-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Same here. I thought the story was clever and incredibly well put together. I'm really not sure how one doesn't follow it. My wife hates Star Trek normally, but even she 'got' this movie and enjoyed it immensely.
Old 10-26-09, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

It's not hard to follow, but it's certainly not "incredibly well put together" either. The characters are well-written but there's definitely some lazy writing as far as the story's concerned.
Old 10-26-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

The only thing I could never get was what Nero and his crew did? Were they just sitting there in the ship for twenty odd years?
Old 10-26-09, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wolf359
The only thing I could never get was what Nero and his crew did? Were they just sitting there in the ship for twenty odd years?
There was a whole deleted subplot where Nero was imprisoned by Klingons, which will supposedly show up in the deleted scenes on the upcoming BD/DVD release....
Old 10-26-09, 05:38 AM

The writers should've just gone with a straight reboot. Having this film in continuity with the overall series created some lazy writing on their part. It's the script that almost kills the direction of JJ Abrams and the wonderful cast he assembled.

For me, this film is very much in the same vain as Iron Man. The performances and slick directing mask the script problems. Differences between the two is that Abrams doesn't drop the ball in the third act the way Favreau did with Iron Man.

I'm still baffled by the "red matter" science. Hell, with Nero's drill, why not use that instead of imploring this "red matter."

You could easily rip into this script and into this movie almost as much as Revenge of the Fallen. (a film I know is completely horrendous at the script level, but like Abrams, Bay's direction and the fact that I like the cast save it. My guilty pleasure of 2009).

Last edited by Jumpman; 10-26-09 at 05:43 AM.
Old 10-26-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jumpman
I'm still baffled by the "red matter" science. Hell, with Nero's drill, why not use that instead of imploring this "red matter."
That's the "fi" of the term "sci-fi"....you can't try and explain it scientifically...it's just one of those things that needs to be accepted by the viewer, like the transporter....it just does what it does...

Having seen JJ Abrams' previous work on ALIAS, I thought the look of the red matter was a bit of a tribute to the Mueller/Rambaldi device from that show...
Old 10-26-09, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jumpman
The writers should've just gone with a straight reboot. Having this film in continuity with the overall series created some lazy writing on their part. It's the script that almost kills the direction of JJ Abrams and the wonderful cast he assembled.

For me, this film is very much in the same vain as Iron Man. The performances and slick directing mask the script problems. Differences between the two is that Abrams doesn't drop the ball in the third act the way Favreau did with Iron Man.

You could easily rip into this script and into this movie almost as much as Revenge of the Fallen. (a film I know is completely horrendous at the script level, but like Abrams, Bay's direction and the fact that I like the cast save it. My guilty pleasure of 2009).
Wait..you're not saying that ST hasn't had crap writing right? I mean...well...it's sucked for a long time actually.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.