Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion...oh, apparently isn't joining the Disney bandwagon (price raise typo)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion...oh, apparently isn't joining the Disney bandwagon (price raise typo)

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
re: Criterion...oh, apparently isn't joining the Disney bandwagon (price raise typo)

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Why does this concern you when you have no interest in Criterion titles?

Sorry, but this is just trolling to me. We get it, all the companies are raising prices. Yada, yada.
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Higher prices may mean lower sales which may mean the titles I want won't come out. It's my concern.
Originally Posted by Coral
I notice that whenever the topic is Criterion, you never fail to mention that there are very few Criterion titles that interest you. When I saw this thread I was expecting you to mention it at some point in the thread again... and sure enough, you did. It's like you're proud of it and want everyone to know every time.
To be fair, it wasn't mentioned until someone else brought it up. Since it's news to most people, I don't see it matters what Gizmo's thoughts on Criterion releases are as he was just sharing the news about the MSRP increase.
Old 07-16-09, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts
re: Criterion...oh, apparently isn't joining the Disney bandwagon (price raise typo)

Yep, not interested in foreign films or the lesser known ones. I have roughly 5 titles that I want from them (that's if they even still have the rights to them).
I'm not questioning your taste... just find it odd that you point it out so often regardless of whether you were asked or not.
Old 07-16-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$49.99 ... god damn. What is this, LASERDISC? LOL.

I don't buy enough Criterion BDs to really be upset (I have 3). Guess I'll just wait for the annual B1G1 sale or 50% sales to get what I want if they wanna play the price increase game.
Old 07-16-09, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fortunately I have no interest in any of the three October Blu-rays, so I'll save my bitching until November.
Old 07-17-09, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 898 Likes on 722 Posts

Well, then this makes it easy for me... No more Criterions!

$19/each at the Barnes & Noble sale is affordable. $50 is not.

Some high-class prices to go with their elitist attitude.
Old 07-17-09, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wings of Desire is a great film. Hopefully Amazon will put it on sale or something.
Old 07-17-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, not interested in foreign films or the lesser known ones.
AMERICA- F**K, YEAH!

Who needs other viewpoints, anyway?
Old 07-17-09, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Prices creeping up in year 3 of the format and during a recession tells me that BD software sales haven't met studio projections. I'm starting to wonder if BD is just going to be the premium option as long as it exists. A notch just above niche status. Catalog sales absolutely stink and I don't see that improving anytime soon, if ever.

12 Rounds was the top seller a couple weeks back and the estimate was 19,000 copies. We're in year 3, and 19,000 can get you the top spot. Ouch.

It's obvious that Star Trek, TF2, Harry Potter, and others will be mega sellers when they arrive, but the format needs more than 3 or 4 big sellers each year. Catalog titles need to start becoming good, consistent sellers. There are no signs of that happening, even with all the new hardware sold last Christmas.
Old 07-17-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't paid anywhere close to those prices, so this doesn't bother me at all. Unless you're not shopping around, I don't see the big deal here.
Old 07-17-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The higher the list price, the higher the sale price. I don't know how anyone wouldn't be angry over price increases.

What if their list prices were $79.99? No big deal?
Old 07-17-09, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
The higher the list price, the higher the sale price. I don't know how anyone wouldn't be angry over price increases.
Exactly.

$39.95 list and 30% off = $28

$49.95 list and 30% off = $35
Old 07-17-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I haven't spent $35 (or $28 even) on any of the discs in my collection. Even so, Criterion's always been a premium product in my eyes (as is blu-ray). I don't mind paying more for the quality they deliver.
Old 07-17-09, 08:25 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
AMERICA- F**K, YEAH!

America - land 'o remakes other pointless non-thinking crap.
Old 07-17-09, 08:29 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
AMERICA- F**K, YEAH!

Sorry...just never got into foreign films. Not saying they're bad, just not my taste (I've seen many, but I just don't go crazy to own some of these).
Old 07-17-09, 08:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
I haven't spent $35 (or $28 even) on any of the discs in my collection. Even so, Criterion's always been a premium product in my eyes (as is blu-ray). I don't mind paying more for the quality they deliver.
Please keep that opinion to yourself. We don't want to be paying even a higher price next month!
Old 07-17-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Prices creeping up in year 3 of the format and during a recession tells me that BD software sales haven't met studio projections. I'm starting to wonder if BD is just going to be the premium option as long as it exists. A notch just above niche status. Catalog sales absolutely stink and I don't see that improving anytime soon, if ever.

12 Rounds was the top seller a couple weeks back and the estimate was 19,000 copies. We're in year 3, and 19,000 can get you the top spot. Ouch.

It's obvious that Star Trek, TF2, Harry Potter, and others will be mega sellers when they arrive, but the format needs more than 3 or 4 big sellers each year. Catalog titles need to start becoming good, consistent sellers. There are no signs of that happening, even with all the new hardware sold last Christmas.
You posted exactly what my thoughts are on this, particularly the part I have colored. I'm a little shocked no one mentioned it before you did. We see them come out with more BS percentages of how great things are, but like you pointed out, 19K will get you the top spot.

I was fearful that things wouldn't catch on fast enough for studios to decide to raise prices to balance things out, but it looks like it is happening.
Old 07-17-09, 08:43 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
You posted exactly what my thoughts are on this, particularly the part I have colored. I'm a little shocked no one mentioned it before you did. We see them come out with more BS percentages of how great things are, but like you pointed out, 19K will get you the top spot.

I was fearful that things wouldn't catch on fast enough for studios to decide to raise prices to balance things out, but it looks like it is happening.
Just keep buying to a minimum. It will either help "No ones buying...perhaps we should lower?" or "No ones buying...perhaps would should scale back on releases?". I'd hate for the latter but its becoming harder and harder to spend so much on Blu-ray titles that for me are typically DVD Upgrades of films I have not watched in years but when I get the 'itch' I'd like to do so in HD. Luckily we've had some great deals lately, but I still have several gaps in my collection that would have already been filled had the MSRP (and in turn the sale price) not been so damn high.
Old 07-17-09, 08:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

major thumbs down
Old 07-17-09, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Simple for me:

39.99 = Wings Of Desire purchase and blind buy of Howard's End.

49.99 = Wings Of Desire purchase but just rentals of the others.

CC could have had 2-3 purchases from me in that wave - instead they'll have one. Apparently studios can't grasp this logic.
Old 07-17-09, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
They can keep 'em at those prices. I'll stick to my $12 - $15 window for Blu-rays, or I'll just do without.
This is my general concept as well, but I'll make an exception for some titles at 19.99.
Old 07-17-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry...just never got into foreign films. Not saying they're bad, just not my taste (I've seen many, but I just don't go crazy to own some of these).
If you don't watch foreign films, why would you start a thread about Criterion titles, which are highly concentrated with foreign films?
Old 07-17-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mikael79
This is my general concept as well, but I'll make an exception for some titles at 19.99.
Hell, I won't even do that. $15.00 is pretty much tops for me. That's the point the upgrade isn't worth it. I mainly want to buy catalog titles so I hate seeing prices go the wrong way.
Old 07-17-09, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I loved Criterion selling their Blus for the same price as their SD stuff, it was always a bit too good to be true. Lately, their Blus have been selling for less than the SD versions at Amazon & DeepDiscount, so I guess it didn't make much sense for them.
Old 07-17-09, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mikael79
If you don't watch foreign films, why would you start a thread about Criterion titles, which are highly concentrated with foreign films?
Because its news?
Old 07-17-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 312 Likes on 214 Posts

I was very surprised when Criterion originally announced their BD releases would use the DVD pricing structure, so this move isn't too shocking to me. That said, I'd hoped their BD structure would be more like $5 over the DVD prices.

While my wallet doesn't like it, it's hard to fault Criterion too much. The films they release are much less prone to impulse-buys than other studios, so a lower pricing structure that encourages impulse buying doesn't help them much. For the most part (and I'm obviously speaking in generalizations), the people that really care about owning the titles in the Criterion catalog are going to buy them, as long as the price isn't completely outrageous.

I highly doubt this is in the works, but I'm hoping they may extend their barebones "Essential Art House" series to Blu-ray to make some titles available in hi-def for less money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.