Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas 10/6/09

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...hristmas2.html

Title: A Charlie Brown Christmas (IMDb)
Starring: N/A (Animation)
Released: 6th October 2009
SRP: $29.99

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced a Blu-ray release of A Charlie Brown Christmas for the 6th October. The disc will retail at around $29.99. The extra material has yet to be revealed I'm afraid, although we expect the disc to include A Christmas Miracle: The Making of a Charlie Brown Christmas featurette, and the bonus special "It's Christmastime Again, Charlie Brown".

And...

Also Horton Hears a Who is getting a seperate release this time.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releas...rs-a-who3.html

Title: Horton Hears a Who! (IMDb)
Starring: N/A (Animation)
Released: 6th October 2009
SRP: $29.99

Further Details:
Warner Home Video has announced a Blu-ray release of Horton Hears a Who! for the 6th October. Retail will be around $29.99. As well as the 26 minute main feature, the disc will also include a feature length In Search of Dr. Seuss documentary that celebrates the author's life via celebrity skits, music, and animated clips from his stories, 2 more animated stories ("Dr. Seuss Butter Battle Book", "Daisy-Head Mayzie"), and a sing-along music video ("You Can Hear Horton, Horton Can Hear You!").

Last edited by Jedi Master 33; 07-14-09 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-14-09, 05:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: A Charlie Brown Christmas and How the Grinch Stole Christmas 10/6/09

Pass. I'd rather grab the Peanuts DVD boxset.

Worth noting is that each release will include a DVD & Digital Copy (on the same disc).
Old 07-14-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I may get them when they are $10 or less.
Old 07-14-09, 08:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

So they're just going to port the DVD's to BD? Why not put 4 on one disc? Lame. I'm passing on this.
Old 07-14-09, 08:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
So they're just going to port the DVD's to BD? Why not put 4 on one disc? Lame. I'm passing on this.
So they can gouge us in a few years?
Old 07-14-09, 08:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

maybe they'll give them away for free again when you send in those frozen Voila dinners. That's how I got most of mine. Either way, it is gouging us.
Old 07-15-09, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by trespoochies
maybe they'll give them away for free again when you send in those frozen Voila dinners. That's how I got most of mine. Either way, it is gouging us.
They were giving them away with purchase of Voila meals? Man, I missed that. Voila meals are always on sale for $3 or $4 and with coupons, they're very cheap. I pick them up occasionally, and I must have missed out on it. Though I did get Madagascar 2 from CVS for like $2 or something (after a coupon and working some other deals, there), and when I bought some Voila meals I saw there was a $5 rebate for Madagascar 2, so I ended up getting paid to take that movie. I still haven't watched it . But if they were to offer some deal with these, I might be interested. At least with Charlie Brown Christmas. But why on Blu-ray? Wouldn't these have been made in SD anyway? It's not like old movies where film is high resolution anyway. I just assumed they were drawn for SDTV, so they would have to be upscaled in order to be in HD. Or am I wrong in how these were made?
Old 07-15-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by obidawsn
But why on Blu-ray? Wouldn't these have been made in SD anyway? It's not like old movies where film is high resolution anyway. I just assumed they were drawn for SDTV, so they would have to be upscaled in order to be in HD. Or am I wrong in how these were made?
I assume they were shot on film. I seriously doubt they would just upscale them. There are many shows that were shot on film and could benefit from an HD release.
Old 07-17-09, 05:21 AM

It would be interesting to find out more about how they were made and how that will relate to the blu-ray version. I just assumed they would draw the cells the size they needed for TV instead of drawing them bigger, but maybe it was easier to draw the cells bigger and scale them down. I'd like to know. If I get the time, I'll see if I can find something. If somebody else has that information or knows where to find it, please post. Thanks.
Old 07-17-09, 11:42 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I've triple or quadruple dipped on Grinch and the various Charlie Brown specials. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have a quintuple dip on both of these.

No more. If they someday have a set of multiple releases on one blu-ray, or a definitive collection in the future, I might buy them again.

But actually, SD is good enough for me on these (he says knowing that he'll likely succumb again).
Old 07-20-09, 09:15 AM

Paying $30.00 retail price for each 30 minute Blu-ray feature is ridiculous. Generally, these are features you don't have the desire to watch throughout the year, only during Christmas time.

Last edited by slimdude; 07-20-09 at 07:47 PM.