Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek TOS: Season 2 - 9/22/09

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Blu-ray.com:
Paramount Home Entertainment will release 'Star Trek: The Original Series: Season 2' on Blu-ray on September 22, with all 26 episodes from the 1967-68 season. Like 'Season 1' did, this box set will consist of seven discs and will include both the original broadcast version and a remastered version with new special effects.

As we reported last week, owners of the first season can connect to BD-Live now for a preview of Season 2.
Old 07-10-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Star Trek TOS: Season 2 - 9/22/09

can not wait and how nice a week before my birthday even better.
Old 07-11-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season 1 is such an awesome release, will definitely pick up the new Season.
Old 07-11-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was very impressed with the Season 1 release, and will be picking up the rest of the series.
Old 07-11-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Making my way through Season 1 now and the picture quality is outstanding. I barely saw a few of TOS as a kid so most of these are new to me.

I'm a bit OCD, so it's taking me a long time to get through them because every time a SFX shot comes up, I have to watch it in both the original version and the new version, which leads to a lot of rewinding.

What do you all think of the new effect? I'm kind of mixed. I feel they were respectful and tried to complement the 60's style, but I can't help but find them jarring. To see a CGI Enterprise and detailed CGI planets just yanks me right out of the show because I know it was added on recently. Kind of feels like the Star Wars Special Editions, only not as awful.
Old 07-11-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really hate newly added CGI. I'm a firm believer in preserving the integrity of the original release. At least they saw fit to include the original versions, unlike with THX-1138, the eventual Blu-ray of which I assume will include only the revised travesty.
Old 07-11-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Making my way through Season 1 now and the picture quality is outstanding. I barely saw a few of TOS as a kid so most of these are new to me.

I'm a bit OCD, so it's taking me a long time to get through them because every time a SFX shot comes up, I have to watch it in both the original version and the new version, which leads to a lot of rewinding.

What do you all think of the new effect? I'm kind of mixed. I feel they were respectful and tried to complement the 60's style, but I can't help but find them jarring. To see a CGI Enterprise and detailed CGI planets just yanks me right out of the show because I know it was added on recently. Kind of feels like the Star Wars Special Editions, only not as awful.
I like the new effects for the most part I guess. Plus its nice that Paramount is giving us the option on these Blu-ray sets to watch the original version or the enhanced version unlike Lucas who doesn't seem to want to release the original versions of Star Wars in decent quality for anything. Yes I'm aware they're available on dvd but it would be nice if they were anamorphic and in better quality, but that's for a Star Wars thread I guess.

But anyways I'm definitely looking forward to getting Season Two on Blu-ray hopefully it'll be around the same price point as Season 1 was.
Old 07-11-09, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I really hate newly added CGI. I'm a firm believer in preserving the integrity of the original release. At least they saw fit to include the original versions, unlike with THX-1138, the eventual Blu-ray of which I assume will include only the revised travesty.
If it's done well and unobtrusive, I think it adds something. I dislike the Star Wars special editions because they interfere with the story and dialog.

But even if I like it, I agree that it's important to provide both options (preferably with seamless branching).

Star Trek is a bit of a special case because the original effects were so bad at times. I'm specifically thinking of the space shots where half the ship is missing and you have stars showing through it. I remember seeing that a lot especially in season two.
Old 07-11-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The S1 set is fantastic. I'll def pick up S2 when it's released.
Old 07-31-09, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From DVD Times:
Priced at $79.99 SRP and available from 22nd September, this seven-disc set features all 26 episodes, including the celebrated “The Trouble with Tribbles”, with new seamless branching that allows fans to toggle between newly remastered versions with enhanced special effects or the episodes as they were originally broadcast. The Blu-ray collection also includes hours of featurettes, interactive bonus features and new clips via BD-Live and every disc is Mobile Blu enabled, allowing iPhone users to turn their phones into a Blu-ray remote control and download exclusive content to their iPhones.

The discs are presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, English Original 2.0 Mono, Spanish 2.0 Mono and French 2.0 Mono with English SDH, Spanish Brazilian Portuguese and French subtitles.
Old 07-31-09, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Priced at $79.99 SRP
Woah! That's a major price drop!

I wonder if they're just trying to bring it into line with some of the common street prices of the Season 1 set (which MSRP'd at $129.99!).

Sounds like we may see prices in the $4X.XX range right out of the gate on this set.

Of course, it could always just be a typo...
Old 07-31-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Trekmovie has the full cover art posted online and there is a special tribbles disk, that so far is known to have the animated episode from the tos animated series, and they are trying to confirm if trials and tribulations will be included as well, god i really hope they do.

http://img.trekmovie.com/images/merc..._Back_Oslv.jpg
Old 07-31-09, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, that $79.99 doesn't seem right, Amazon has taken the liberty of pricing the same as the first season's MSRP of $129.
Old 07-31-09, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

cant wait for sept 22nd
Old 07-31-09, 05:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
Woah! That's a major price drop!

I wonder if they're just trying to bring it into line with some of the common street prices of the Season 1 set (which MSRP'd at $129.99!).

Sounds like we may see prices in the $4X.XX range right out of the gate on this set.

Of course, it could always just be a typo...
Didn't Paramount just lower the MSRPs of the original DVD sets? I've seen them bundled together pretty cheap before.
Old 07-31-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
Trekmovie has the full cover art posted online and there is a special tribbles disk, that so far is known to have the animated episode from the tos animated series, and they are trying to confirm if trials and tribulations will be included as well, god i really hope they do.
My question is... is it in HD?
Old 07-31-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Didn't Paramount just lower the MSRPs of the original DVD sets?
Yeah, but those aren't $$new$$.
Old 07-31-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That would be nice, probably not, but who knows since its only one episode perhaps they could have. I know there have been discusions on here as to how this episode was shot, the way the special effects were done and the effort it would take to get it ready for an HD release. If its there its probably going to be SD but i cross my fingers it would be in HD
Originally Posted by Doctorossi
My question is... is it in HD?
Old 07-31-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They very well may be thinking 'hey, if we want more money for all this star trek stuff in a single years time, we need to lower the prices'. Think of it, seasons 1-3, and all 11 star trek films. They know people want it, people will buy it, and they want people not to be discouraged. Just my guess.
Old 08-01-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was a 8 year old kid in the late 60's and we had a black and white television set. One night while visiting friends with a color TV, this "Star Trek" show came on will all it's brilliant color. I was completley transfixed. From there my parents would let me stay up on occasion to watch the show, but it just wasn't the same in B&W.

I picked up Star Trek in Beta, then in VHS, then the first DVD release with one decent episode and one crappy one for $15. Although I have no interest in the CGI versions I would love to have these in Blu but I just can't see spending the money. One day I'll run across some seasons cheap and may pick it up. Although I think they tried to remain true to the original feel for the show, the CGI does nothing for me. Lucas does shit just because he can, that doesn't mean he should. (I'm paraphrasing Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park here)
Old 08-01-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You can watch it with the original effects as well, and the quality of the program is surprisingly good. It's pretty stunning actually considering how old this show is.
Old 08-01-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just pre-ordered this last night at Moviestop (since it finally was put into their system), along with the Next Generation Movie Collection! Then I'll just need a release date for TOS: Season 3 to complete my ST on BD collection....
Old 08-01-09, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
Season 1 is such an awesome release, will definitely pick up the new Season.
Agreed. This is the way TV on BD should be done.
Old 08-05-09, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

TV Shows On DVD posted the full disc-by-disc specs:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sta...-Blu-ray/12432

Why is the DS9 episode (as a bonus) "Trials and Tribble-ations" being listed as HD?

This has to be a) a typo, b) a professionally upconverted episode or c) the first real test for rebuilding the episodes of 1990s Trek using the original elements.

Nah, typo is likely it....right?
Old 08-06-09, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I seriously doubt it is a typo, considering the Animated episode is also listed as being in HD, and the original Tribbles episode is actually the only S2 episode on that one disc.....I doubt they'd waste that much space on a BD with only SD extras...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.