Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Drexl
The last 10 years has taught me that some titles get re-released, but many do not. People just selectively remember the ones that do. It usually takes years for re-releases. And, it tends to be popular titles. This movie wasn't a box office hit, and I'm not sure it even has a huge cult following like an Office Space or a Donnie Darko.

We've waited 3 years for this to finally be released. Some of us don't want to wait longer because because they might release it again later with lossless audio, or in a big set with the extended versions. Some of us don't even want the extended versions, and some already bought them before.

BTW, Warner has released dozens of titles on BD with lossy soundtracks, going back to 2006. You can probably count the titles that have been upgraded to lossless on one hand.
They have already released two extended versions that were loaded with extras and now the theatrical release.

For a film that earned only 25 million at the box office I imagine this will be the last release for this film especially now that physical media is winding down in volume.

I can't think of too many films that were re-released with only an audio up-grade. Well ... a few movies like Fast Times at Ridgemont High SE was originally 2.0 Dolby and then up-graded to 5.1 on a later release with no other additional material but it's rare.

In my mind that would hardly be worth upgrading especially when the film was originally 2.0 in theaters.
Old 09-26-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
BTW, Warner has released dozens of titles on BD with lossy soundtracks, going back to 2006. You can probably count the titles that have been upgraded to lossless on one hand.
They even took the time to re-release Goodfellas in a nice digibook, but couldn't be bothered to upgrade the soundtrack.
Old 09-26-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy
I've only noticed one, really.

Good luck with that "waiting" thing.

I just know how these things work. The minute I buy the individual Kill Bill's, there will be an announcement for a beautiful new transfer, the Whole Bloody Affair, with never before seen footage and Tarantino commentary and blahblahblah. In fact, I think they're waiting for me to buy the individual barebones releases before they put out the special edition Tarantino promised all those years ago.
Old 09-26-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I just know how these things work. The minute I buy the individual Kill Bill's, there will be an announcement for a beautiful new transfer, the Whole Bloody Affair, with never before seen footage and Tarantino commentary and blahblahblah. In fact, I think they're waiting for me to buy the individual barebones releases before they put out the special edition Tarantino promised all those years ago.
Usually. But I've bought the movies several times now -- when they first came out; years later, because I had sold them for the rumored SE and wanted to watch them; and then on Blu-Ray, after waiting for a few months. Still nothing, but maybe they're literally waiting for you personally.
Old 09-26-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lamphorn
So you're the one that's holding up The Whole Bloody Affair? Stop being selfish and go buy them now so we can have them by the end of the year.
Old 09-26-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Usually. But I've bought the movies several times now -- when they first came out; years later, because I had sold them for the rumored SE and wanted to watch them; and then on Blu-Ray, after waiting for a few months. Still nothing, but maybe they're literally waiting for you personally.
Originally Posted by kstublen
So you're the one that's holding up The Whole Bloody Affair? Stop being selfish and go buy them now so we can have them by the end of the year.
It may be my duty to get this thing to come out already.
Old 09-27-10, 10:36 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by matome
Nah, a re-release of this is coming the same time that the Kill Bill: Whole Bloody Affair is. I think there are probably still people waiting since 2003 for that.

oh cool. I will wait too!

hehheheee
Old 09-27-10, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

I know a lot of you will probably disagree with me giving a Collector Series rating to a Blu-ray disc without lossless audio, but...sorry: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44706/grindhouse/
Old 09-27-10, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was about to post it too. Good Review.

Man....I can't wait to own this bitch for $13.99
Old 09-28-10, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

8GB free space? Wow, that's really pathetic.
Old 09-28-10, 10:40 AM
Banned

for those of you who don't go into the movie forum...

Sally Menke has died. She's Tarantino's editor...and a great one as well.

via cinema blend
Sally Menke, the editor behind all of Quentin Tarantino's films, died yesterday while hiking with her dog in the 113-degree Los Angeles heat. According to The Los Angeles Times, her body was found early this morning after friends alerted the authorities when she didn't return from her hike. Her dog was found alive.

It's always a tragedy to lose anyone at the height of their creative skill and with so much left to offer-- Menke was only 56-- but that goes doubly so when it's so unexpected. Menke received her second Oscar nomination just last year for Inglourious Basterds (the first was for Pulp Fiction), and it's hard to watch that film without marveling at how the editing enhances it. Think of the long takes in the opening cabin scene combined with cuts between the two actors' faces. Think of the surprising jump in perspective in the basement pub scene, where you realize the German officer has been there all along, listening. An editor's work must often deliberately fade into the background, but Tarantino's films relied so heavily on Menke's work that many consider her his co-author. It's hard to estimate the impact this will have on Tarantino's future work, and honestly, you wonder if his movies will ever feel quite right again.

Our thoughts go out to Menke's family and friends after this shocking loss. If you want to learn more about this woman and her incredible career, Movieline did a great interview with her last year, just before she received her Lifetime Achievement honor at the Hamilton Behind The Camera Awards.
Old 09-28-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That's terrible, I just recently watched an interview with her. Her work was excellent.
Old 09-28-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
for those of you who don't go into the movie forum...

Sally Menke has died. She's Tarantino's editor...and a great one as well.

via cinema blend
It was terrible last night hearing that she was missing, in this heat and then when they reported finding her no longer alive early this morning, but what was weird is that last night none the local news stations when they were talking about the rescue crews looking for her and her dog through griffith park well into the night after friends reported her missing. They never once mentioned that she was an oscar winning Film editor(really odd considering this is the movie industry captial and they usally make a pont mentioning that they are industry even if its someone like a p.a.) or when they found her body this morning around 2am, her dog was alive but sadly she wasnt.even early this morning after they reported her death they never mentioned.
It was not till just a little while ago that they started mentioning her award winning career/

Its very sad, to pass because of the heat, there were quite a few heat releated illnesses yesterday. there were quite a few times yesterday when at work, looking out on hollywood blvd and you would see paramedics attending to tourists who got heat exhaustion or worse out on the blvd.
And this heat was unbearable out here yesterday it actually got up to 117 according to the thermometer here at work in Hollywood. Keep in mind that 113 was only down town and L.A. temps vary very widely depending on what part of the county you are in And the new also said it was definately even gotten hotter in downtown they just dont know how much hotter than the 113 reported on the news cause the thermometer at the National weather service use to check the temp for downtown broke after hitting 113.

And up in griffith park in the hollywood hills where she was hiking it could have very easily topped out even hotter than 117, so sad for her family and loss to motion pictures for years to come.

Last edited by AmityBoatTours; 09-28-10 at 11:22 AM.
Old 09-28-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
8GB free space? Wow, that's really pathetic.
Thats where seamless branching extended versions, lossless audio & max movie mode type features will go on the rerelease.
Old 09-28-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Thats where seamless branching extended versions, lossless audio & max movie mode type features will go on the rerelease.
Give it up man!

So not only will this hypothetical (read, delusional) future edition include lossless audio, but they'll also throw in maximum movie mode type special feature as well as seamless branching of the extended versions?!

You can't seriously believe we will see such a release, you just can't. This is a cult movie with a very limited potential audience. No way this warrants another Blu-ray release with even more special features. If it is ever re-released (and that's a big if) it will be the same content, no upgrades.
Old 09-28-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kstublen
Give it up man!

So not only will this hypothetical (read, delusional) future edition include lossless audio, but they'll also throw in maximum movie mode type special feature as well as seamless branching of the extended versions?!

You can't seriously believe we will see such a release, you just can't. This is a cult movie with a very limited potential audience. No way this warrants another Blu-ray release with even more special features. If it is ever re-released (and that's a big if) it will be the same content, no upgrades.
He's trolling. He must be.
Old 09-28-10, 12:12 PM
Banned

He's got to be...but I don't think we'll ever know...cuz...it's the internet.
Old 09-28-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I know a lot of you will probably disagree with me giving a Collector Series rating to a Blu-ray disc without lossless audio, but...sorry: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/44706/grindhouse/

Great review, I'm extremely excited for this!
Old 09-28-10, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
You can't fit lossless audio, another 40 minutes (or whatever) of material, and picture-in-picture video in the space of 8 gigs.
Old 09-28-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the great review Adam...Best I can tell, the Best Buy exclusives from the steelbooks were not on that list of extras, so I really do have to hold on to them. Oh well.
Old 09-28-10, 01:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Great review! I just sent the link to a friend of mine as proof he needs to buy a Blu-ray player.
Old 09-28-10, 01:21 PM

cool! will definitely pick this up!
Old 09-28-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Great review Adam!

I already own the Japanese DVD set, but I will still be picking this up.
Old 09-28-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Alright, alright . . . when I find it for less than $15 maybe I'll bite.
Old 09-28-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by applesandrice
Alright, alright . . . when I find it for less than $15 maybe I'll bite.
well Amazon did have it for 13.99 the first 24 hours they had it listed.
HEHE
and deep discount had it at about 14.99 it for another day or so.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.