DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/557246-rumor-grindhouse-coming-bluray-edit-yup-oct-5th.html)

doctorthodt 09-24-10 11:27 AM

Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 10390308)
Just don't get all the crying about no lossless but still getting an aggressive 5.1 mix for this movie.

....why not? Grindhouse isn't deliberately supposed to sound like shit, and the individual releases both have very robust lossless audio tracks.

applesandrice 09-24-10 11:29 AM

The lossy DD5.1 track may sound terrific. Regardless: there's no legitimate reason to exclude a lossless track. EVER. This is Blu-ray. It's expected.

I've still got the DVR'd copy of this film from its StarzHD broadcast. I don't need this "upgrade".

Rammsteinfan 09-24-10 12:23 PM

Glad its only costing me $13.99 or I would have thought twice about paying for this one.

TheDuke 09-24-10 12:46 PM

Who cares? Can't the human ear not even tell the difference past 170ish kbps? I can't even tell the difference between 125 and 320 MP3s.

why not a special edition VHS release?
Sounds like a good idea to me!

PopcornBandit 09-24-10 12:59 PM

It's a miracle that we even got Grindhouse in its entirety so I don't plan on looking a gift horse in the mouth.

(Plus with my $13.99 pre-order, I can't complain. :D)

tylergfoster 09-24-10 01:10 PM

Don't want to raise all of this fracas again, but it's ever-so-slightly suspicious that the packaging lists all the trailers except Machete, and makes it look like the features correspond to the movies, which is bizarre. Not very well-laid out. Plus, no mention of Wright's track? I'm sure it's on there, but he deserves mention as much as Roth.

SterlingBen 09-24-10 01:17 PM

Yet another reason why I am waiting for the next BR set.

anomynous 09-24-10 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by droidguy1119 (Post 10390570)
Don't want to raise all of this fracas again, but it's ever-so-slightly suspicious that the packaging lists all the trailers except Machete, and makes it look like the features correspond to the movies, which is bizarre. Not very well-laid out. Plus, no mention of Wright's track? I'm sure it's on there, but he deserves mention as much as Roth.

Machete's on there

JayDerek 09-24-10 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10390578)
Yet another reason why I am waiting for the next BR set.

next set? We're lucky to have gotten this one.

I'm definitely not happy about the audio thing here, but I'm picking this set up

SterlingBen 09-24-10 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by JayDerek (Post 10390704)
next set? We're lucky to have gotten this one.

I'm definitely not happy about the audio thing here, but I'm picking this set up

Yeah the next set that includes both cuts & lossless audio.

doctorthodt 09-24-10 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10390764)

Lol. Enjoy the wait.

Drexl 09-24-10 05:07 PM

This is like when an OOP album is only available through iTunes or Amazon MP3 instead of a CD. It may be the only reasonable option for a long time.

RobLutter 09-24-10 05:38 PM

Eh, no biggie.

Lossless is nice... but just having the entire film out is nicer! Can't BD do Dolby Digital Plus? I guess than was just an HD-DVD thing. :)

Alan Smithee 09-24-10 06:23 PM

I have a Dolby demo Blu-Ray that has Dolby Digital Plus, some of it is even 7.1. I've never seen a regular Blu-Ray release with it though; almost every HD-DVD had it.

GenPion 09-24-10 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10390764)

You read my mind. I bet they are already planning on releasing it like that someday.

RobLutter 09-24-10 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by GenPion (Post 10391292)
You read my mind. I bet they are already planning on releasing it like that someday.

Yer nuts, man. It took them 3 and a half years to release it this way at all... have fun waiting another 3 and a half, if at all. This isn't Army of Darkness. :)

Supermallet 09-24-10 08:24 PM

I, like others, might have canceled my order...if I weren't paying $13.99 for it.

doctorthodt 09-24-10 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by RobLutter (Post 10391296)
Yer nuts, man. It took them 3 and a half years to release it this way at all... have fun waiting another 3 and a half, if at all. This isn't Army of Darkness. :)

I think he was being sarcastic.

At least, I hope he was being sarcastic.

rexinnih 09-24-10 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10390800)
Lol. Enjoy the wait.

It'll be the same week as the LOTR Extended editions the others are holding out for.

Solid Snake 09-24-10 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10391300)
I, like others, might have canceled my order...if I weren't paying $13.99 for it.

Best fucking deal for a film I've ever wanted on BD.

BuckNaked2k 09-24-10 11:39 PM

Hmmm. With this news, this one moves to the "wait 'till it's under $10" list.

SterlingBen 09-25-10 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10391314)
I think he was being sarcastic.

At least, I hope he was being sarcastic.

Thats a negative.

The only reason they waited was they wanted you to buy the extended cuts first. Now that the theatrical version is available it is (in my opinion) inevitable that a complete set will be down the road in the next 3-5 years. Until then my Extended cuts will suffice.

Adam Tyner 09-25-10 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 10391710)
Now that the theatrical version is available it is (in my opinion) inevitable that a complete set will be down the road in the next 3-5 years. Until then my Extended cuts will suffice.

If there is a complete set, it'll package together the three existing discs: the chances of them re-authoring just to include lossless audio are microscopic.

doctorthodt 09-25-10 07:35 AM

Thats a negative.

The only reason they waited was they wanted you to buy the extended cuts first. Now that the theatrical version is available it is (in my opinion) inevitable that a complete set will be down the road in the next 3-5 years. Until then my Extended cuts will suffice.

I was talking about GenPion.

And no, that won't happen.

tylergfoster 09-25-10 09:06 AM

Thats a negative.

I still don't know why you believe this. It doesn't make a lick of sense. Holding back extras is one thing: if this was a barebones affair, that'd be different. But despite Blu-Ray being an enthusiast's format, studios don't know shit about enthusiasts, nor do they care. They would never think of lossless audio as a carrot to dangle on a future release, because they probably don't know a thing about it in the first place. It's a standard corporate oversight, not a scheme.