DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/557246-rumor-grindhouse-coming-bluray-edit-yup-oct-5th.html)

Moopher 08-27-10 01:18 AM

Re: Rumor: Grindhouse Coming to Bluray? (EDIT:Yup! Oct. 5th!)

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 10341249)
Raping the wind? What on earth does that mean?

Strangely, I know exactly what hes saying.

kstublen 08-27-10 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10341043)
Also, you won't get it from DD til about a month after the release :)

qft

Maxflier 08-29-10 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10338268)
I bought this from Amazon, and I'm quite pleased with it:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image...48fee110.L.jpg

I just purchased (and watched) this myself. I assume the cover art is the same as the DVD, but what is with the major spoiler on the back? What the hell were they thinking?

doctorthodt 08-29-10 07:38 PM

Spoiler? They show vampires in the trailers, don't they? How can you spoil a prominently advertised aspect of the film?

DonnachaOne 08-29-10 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10345202)
Spoiler? They show vampires in the trailers, don't they? How can you spoil a prominently advertised aspect of the film?

This is true. It was never promoted by the studio or filmmakers that the vampires were a secret, and watching the film, if one relates to the characters then the vampires are still a fun surprise, since we see their surprise. Would it have been interesting to have no knowledge of that going in? Of course, to me, but there's far more people who would have felt let down by a crime flick completely changing tone and direction from what they thought they had purchased.

It's like Terminator 2. Rewatching it a few years ago, I noticed that the ignorant audience would have had no idea that Arnold was the good guy until the "Get Down!" in the mall. It still worked though, because I was following the characters.

Maxflier 08-29-10 08:42 PM

Well I don't know that I've ever seen the trailer for it, but I knew it was about vampires, that's not what was spoiled. It was:
Spoiler:
giving away that one of the main characters ends up as a vampire
that pissed me off.

DonnachaOne 08-29-10 08:51 PM

Yeah, that was bothersome. That was on the old cover, too.

Drexl 08-29-10 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 10345214)
This is true. It was never promoted by the studio or filmmakers that the vampires were a secret, and watching the film, if one relates to the characters then the vampires are still a fun surprise, since we see their surprise. Would it have been interesting to have no knowledge of that going in? Of course, to me, but there's far more people who would have felt let down by a crime flick completely changing tone and direction from what they thought they had purchased.

It's like Terminator 2. Rewatching it a few years ago, I noticed that the ignorant audience would have had no idea that Arnold was the good guy until the "Get Down!" in the mall. It still worked though, because I was following the characters.

Or like how in Predator, an ignorant audience would have no idea what the predator looks like beforehand. The poster was just Arnold with a target on him. (So thanks for putting him on the cover, Fox!) And, if not for the shot of the spaceship at the beginning, they'd have no idea that an alien is attacking the people in the jungle.

BuckNaked2k 08-29-10 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by doctorthodt (Post 10345202)

Plus, Salma's got her fangs showing on the front cover!

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 10345214)
....but there's far more people who would have felt let down by a crime flick completely changing tone and direction from what they thought they had purchased.

You know, I thought it would have been a much better film if they had just kept going with that original premise. Two savage killers on the run and a hostage family arrive at the Titty Twister down in Ol' Me-he-co......OK, now what happens?? -popcorn-

Solid Snake 08-29-10 10:09 PM

not sure if you've ever gone to Mexico..but...shit going crazy in a bar...happens all the time. Whether drunken rage or Mexican mystical/spiritural shit or just starting shit for the sake of starting shit (we're genetically bound to be shit starters) or vampires going nuts...its' all true.

Yavin 09-24-10 09:08 AM

You guys aren't going to like this (NO LOSSLESS AUDIO ON GRINDHOUSE):

the eagerly-awaited Grindhouse: 2-Disc Collector's Edition - featuring the full "Grindhouse experience" directed by Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino - is due out on Blu-ray on October 5. Technical specifications hadn't been officially listed, but a member of the Blu-ray.com forum has has already got a copy and informed that it only contains a lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 track, at a bitrate of 448 kbps.

Gizmo 09-24-10 09:11 AM

Shut the fuck up.

That...can't be right.

TheMovieman 09-24-10 09:14 AM

That would REALLY suck. Hopefully we get more info though not sure if I would still cancel my Amazon order since I still got it at a good price...

Willh51 09-24-10 09:15 AM

Man I was excited about this, too! I think this just went from a must-buy for most of us here to a pass. Lossy audio is unacceptable at this point. All the extras should have been on disc 2.

Yavin 09-24-10 09:16 AM

I know, they found a way to fuck it up somehow. Here's the shots of the back cover, from Bluray.com:http://www.blu-ray.com/images/news/news_5204_1.jpg
http://www.blu-ray.com/images/news/news_5204_2.jpg

doctorthodt 09-24-10 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Yavin (Post 10390014)
You guys aren't going to like this (NO LOSSLESS AUDIO ON GRINDHOUSE):

Well that's a kick in the fucking nuts.

TheMovieman 09-24-10 09:29 AM

It can't be because of disc space issues, can it? I know that a couple other of Vivendi's/Dimension recent catalog releases also were standard DD 5.1 tracks.

doctorthodt 09-24-10 09:35 AM

Is this being distributed by Sony as per their recent deal with The Weinstein Company? Or is it Vivendi?

sauce07 09-24-10 09:59 AM

It's a Grindhouse flick, i'm just glad it wasn't released in mono only.

islandclaws 09-24-10 10:01 AM

Very disappointing, but not enough to get me to cancel out my order.

TomOpus 09-24-10 10:01 AM

No biggie to me. It's a grindhouse movie. Scratched-up film, crappy audio and missing frames.

applesandrice 09-24-10 10:06 AM

If it doesn't matter that it looks and sounds like crap, why not a special edition VHS release?

This blows.

GenPion 09-24-10 11:13 AM

What a load of BS. They probably put it on a BD-25 disc or some such thing. So, in other words, perhaps we can anticipate poor video quality compared to the other releases of the films as well? I am very disappointed. Even though I have the individual release Blu-ray's I was planning on buying this but now I'm not so sure -- especially since they would probably just try to get us to buy it twice (once now and another time YEARS from now with the lossless audio!) They will wait long enough to see how many people they can sucker into buying this edition first.

TomOpus 09-24-10 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by applesandrice (Post 10390156)
If it doesn't matter that it looks and sounds like crap, why not a special edition VHS release?

This blows.

Just don't get all the crying about no lossless but still getting an aggressive 5.1 mix for this movie.

zombeaner 09-24-10 11:26 AM

It is a bummer, but not enough to kill my enthusiasm. I can't hear lossless audio yet, anyway, my receiver isn't capable.