Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Originally Posted by collven
This is just a rumor right now, but it might make your decision whether to pick up or pass on the BB deal a little harder. Some posters over at High Def Digest are saying that both Gladiator and Braveheart have $10 upgrade rebates in them. That would make them $8 a piece ($36 - $20 in rebates), if you still have your DVD copies.

The picture quality on Gladiator is already looking better!
Old 08-30-09, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Ugh that's some horrible news, I was looking forward to picking up Braveheart and Gladiator at Best Buy's sale this week ... now I'll just wait for a better release and another sale.
Old 08-30-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doctorthodt
That's not a rumor, it's true. You need to cut out your UPC though which sucks.
I could do that with my Signature Edition Gladiator if that's an option. Already sold my Extended Cut and Braveheart DVDs.
Old 08-31-09, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
I watched most of Braveheart and Gladiator last night. Braveheart has fantastic PQ, while Gladiator has noticeable DNR and EE. Braveheart clearly looked better than Gladiator on my 50" 1080i set. In the case of Gladiator, people who aren't videophiles (in other words, people who don't know what DNR or EE are) probably aren't going to notice. If you look for halos in the picture, you're going to find them, but most people don't do that. Even so, it's disappointing since Gladiator could have been so much better.
Overall, would you say the picture on Gladiator was worse than watching the DVD upscaled?

One other thought, Bill Hunt mentions hoping that the studio recalls the Gladiator Blu-Ray and allows for some sort of exchange option. I know I've read things about recalls on these forums before, but often glanced by them not necessarily caring about the film in question. So I've never heard whether these type of recalls actually occur or if that's just wishful thinking.

May be stupid, but Gladiator is one of my favorite films and am still thinking of taking a chance and seeing what it's like (since everything really is in the eyes of the beholder) with the possible $10 rebate also available. So that's where I'm coming from with these questions.

Last edited by sbelli; 08-31-09 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-31-09, 09:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I could do that with my Signature Edition Gladiator if that's an option. Already sold my Extended Cut and Braveheart DVDs.

personally I wouldn't have don't that since the image AQ would have been at least consistent and the inclusion of 6.1 discrete DTS sound.
Old 08-31-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phraseturner
Yes, it is important... but evidently since I only have a 67" DLP (with LED light engine) 1080P display, I'm not supposed to care whether the disc is top quality...

Yet, I do.
[off topic]How do you like your DLP/LED display? What brand is it? (My current display is a power hog and I would like to upgrade to something with LEDs someday.)[/off topic]
Old 08-31-09, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by lizard
[off topic]How do you like your DLP/LED display? What brand is it? (My current display is a power hog and I would like to upgrade to something with LEDs someday.)[/off topic]

Love it! Big, sufficiently bright, and uses very little energy. When calibrated, jaw-droppingly beautiful!

And no bulb replacement!
Old 08-31-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sbelli
Overall, would you say the picture on Gladiator was worse than watching the DVD upscaled?

One other thought, Bill Hunt mentions hoping that the studio recalls the Gladiator Blu-Ray and allows for some sort of exchange option. I know I've read things about recalls on these forums before, but often glanced by them not necessarily caring about the film in question. So I've never heard whether these type of recalls actually occur or if that's just wishful thinking.

May be stupid, but Gladiator is one of my favorite films and am still thinking of taking a chance and seeing what it's like (since everything really is in the eyes of the beholder) with the possible $10 rebate also available. So that's where I'm coming from with these questions.
Having watched both Gladiator and Braveheart this weekend, I will say that my exact thought during some portions of Gladiator was: "This looks like an upscaled DVD without the compression artifacts." It's not worse, but it's not a whole lot better (though this was primarily with regards to the darker scenes...the brighter scenes were a bit better).

But yes, comparing the footage from the Extended Cut to the Theatrical footage was like night and day: the Extended footage looked pretty stunning (especially the scene where Commodus has two of his soldiers executed) and the Theatrical footage looked drained and "digital."

And as everyone has already said, Braveheart looks and sounds fantastic (though oddly, it doesn't replicate many of the special features from either previous DVD set...it leaves out the featurette from the original DVD [which is fine, the content is sort of replicated within the timelines] and some content from the more recent 2-disc set).

I'm still happy to have both on BD...though I wouldn't object to a replacement program/running fix for Gladiator.
Old 08-31-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
personally I wouldn't have don't that since the image AQ would have been at least consistent and the inclusion of 6.1 discrete DTS sound.
Not that big of a concern to me. I only paid $5 for the Extended cut and got $13 for it. That, plus the combined price at Best Buy, plus a potential MIR for $10 makes it well worth it to me. Just have to hope they offer a corrected replacement disc down the road.
Old 08-31-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
And as everyone has already said, Braveheart looks and sounds fantastic (though oddly, it doesn't replicate many of the special features from either previous DVD set...it leaves out the featurette from the original DVD [which is fine, the content is sort of replicated within the timelines] and some content from the more recent 2-disc set).
What's missing from the 2-disc set? I never bought it but am curious if it's worth picking up for the features given that there is the $10 rebate.
Old 08-31-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What's missing from the 2-disc set? I never bought it but am curious if it's worth picking up for the features given that there is the $10 rebate.
I don't own the 2-disc, but it seems like the Interviews are missing (again, might be repurposed elsewhere) and, according to DVD Beaver, the 2-disc had a 49-minute documentary with a different title and this one has a 1-hour documentary. But what is on the BD is well done...
Old 08-31-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some mouseover comparisons from Caps-a-Holic.

Gladiator

Braveheart (to the first DVD release though)
Old 08-31-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by abintra

Gladiator

Wow, those screen grabs truly do not look much better than an upconverted DVD. Wicked disappointing.
Old 08-31-09, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Braveheart looks much much better. About time!

I'm going to make a prediction on Gladiator based on my memories of watching the dvd release when it first came out. (To be honest, I'm not a fan of the movie.) The daylight scenes, specifically the ones with in the arena, are going to look fantastic. The dark scenes are probably going to look very similiar.
Old 08-31-09, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

When I said 'those screen grabs', I should have mentioned Gladiator. Braveheart, indeed looks fantastic.

The daylight scene grabs from Gladiator don't even look that much better though either. *sighs*
Old 08-31-09, 09:05 PM

It still looks superior to the DVD. With Best Buy and a $10.00 rebate I think it is a purchase for me as much as I hate to support shoddy work.
Old 08-31-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
That's sort of the current target demographic for the Blu-ray format: People with large HDTVs that have been properly calibrated, and not the kind of people who are going to hook a Blu-ray player up to their television with the composite jack.
Considering my first Blu-Ray player (Sharp) and my PS3 both only came with composite cables in the box, you might be surprised
Old 08-31-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RM811
It still looks superior to the DVD. With Best Buy and a $10.00 rebate I think it is a purchase for me as much as I hate to support shoddy work.
Yeah, with the $10 rebate this only really ends up being about 12.99 with the Best Buy deal. For the shoddy quality work here, I guess that pans out. But man, Gladiator is really one of the main reasons I was excited about the high-def format to begin with back in the day. And THIS is what we get? Grrrr...
Old 09-01-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Yeah, with the $10 rebate this only really ends up being about 12.99 with the Best Buy deal.
Actually, it works out to be $7.99 with the Best Buy deal ($22.99 - $5 - $10).
Old 09-01-09, 12:53 AM

Has it been confirmed that both titles will have the $10 upgrade rebate?
Old 09-01-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DonkeyKong
Has it been confirmed that both titles will have the $10 upgrade rebate?
According to this earlier post( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9678379-post350.html ), they will both have the upgrade rebate forms.
Old 09-01-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know when the $10 rebates expire?
Old 09-01-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Does anyone know when the $10 rebates expire?
June 30 2010

edit: here, don't take my word for it

Unfortunately I can't find a UPC anywhere on my Gladiator 3-disc EE.

Last edited by doctorthodt; 09-01-09 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 08:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by abintra

Gladiator

in the Gladiator screen comparisons someone provided this info to complain to:

Scott Free Productions
614 N La Peer Drive
Los Angeles, California 90069
Telephone: 310 360 2250
Fax: 310 360 2251

Paramount is at:

[email protected]
323-956-5000
Old 09-01-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
in the Gladiator screen comparisons someone provided this info to complain to:

Scott Free Productions
614 N La Peer Drive
Los Angeles, California 90069
Telephone: 310 360 2250
Fax: 310 360 2251

Paramount is at:

[email protected]
323-956-5000
Thanks, I'm sending this email:

9/1/09
To whom it may concern,

Hi, I'm a huge fan of Paramount Pictures and was extremely excited to hear you were bringing Gladiator and Braveheart as the flagship titles to your new 'Sapphire Series' collection of Blu-Rays. In fact I was so excited that I went to Wal-Mart at midnight of the release date so I could get the Blu-Rays as soon as possible. When I got home I popped Gladiator into my Blu-Ray player and was very dismayed to find that the picture quality was extremely lacking. All of the detail was washed out - I felt that the picture quality was barely a step above an upscaled DVD. It was as if all the life had been sucked out of the film. At first I thought maybe there was something wrong with my Blu-Ray player, so I played Braveheart to see if the same thing happened. But the picture on Braveheart was GORGEOUS - very crisp and detailed. It was the opposite of Gladiator; as if new life had been breathed into the film.

So I'm wondering whether maybe I received a defective disc? I know something is wrong, because there's no way the picture is supposed to look like this. I would appreciate any light you could shed on this matter for me, and if I have in fact received a defective disc, I hope there's some way I can trade it in for a proper one.

Regards,
~

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.