Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Originally Posted by RichC2
Since the first thing I think of when I see Gladiator or Braveheart is ... Sapphire.

Terrible line name.
At least they don't have The Ruby Series.

Sapphire refers to the color, which is correlated with Blu-ray. Yeah, I know. It's very retarded.

But Platinum and Criterion were already taken.
Old 06-23-09, 01:24 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

I'll get Braveheart on sale. The other two don't deserve a premium title. If Paramount really wanted to inaugurate this Sapphire line, how about some true classics like Chinatown and Sunset Boulevard?
Old 06-23-09, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Just thinking ahead, Paramount doesn't have a ton of best pic winners.... so I guess this'll extend to non-best pic winners eventually... I'm thinking Apocalypse Now for one...
Old 06-23-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'll get Braveheart on sale. The other two don't deserve a premium title. If Paramount really wanted to inaugurate this Sapphire line, how about some true classics like Chinatown and Sunset Boulevard?
Because once again, they are looking at what will sell versus what is a classic. Violence and War is currently the top seller in US culture, so it's no surprise we have Gladiator and Braveheart being the choices. And then Forrest Gump is yet about a retard and his other semi-retarded friends and their adventures, and war, so go figure that one as you're strapping some leg braces on yourself and prancing around your house.
Old 06-23-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Name of the line aside, I'm glad to see Braveheart and Gladiator finally have street dates. In for both.
Old 06-23-09, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
ditto that. Two releases that should have been on Blu with the last DVD releases. HD-DVD too in the case of Chinatown.

I wonder if the sapphire line will EVER feature pre-1990 moves though?
Old 06-23-09, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

It's way too early to tell what will and won't be included in this, and how long this line will even last.
Old 06-23-09, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
I wonder how much of the current Blu-ray demographic actually knows that.
It was the first thing I thought of. Blue gems.
Old 06-23-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman
Just thinking ahead, Paramount doesn't have a ton of best pic winners.... so I guess this'll extend to non-best pic winners eventually... I'm thinking Apocalypse Now for one...
And it's an awful reminder that Gladiator actually did win Best Picture.
Old 06-23-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
And it's an awful reminder that Gladiator actually did win Best Picture.
Yeah because Chocolat and Erin Brockovich were robbed.
Old 06-23-09, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I love the assumption that because I don't like the name of the line that I also don't know a sapphire is blue .

It just doesn't jive well with the pictures selected to launch the line, I probably have a thing against gemstones

Also, while Criterion charges a boatload for their features, they're also films that aren't in as much demand as say Forrest Gump, Gladiator or Braveheart. IMO, it's a little more justified to have to pay $40 for Chung King Express on Blu than it is to pay $40 for Gladiator, but unlike the Criterions, the Sapphire releases should see substantial discounts at retailers.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-23-09 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Grubert
Traffic is what I would have chosen. It's the movie that won Director, Editing, Screenplay, and Supporting Actor.

Strange that a movie that was the best directed, edited, and written somehow wasn't enough to win the top prize.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 06-23-09 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I have to agree. It was a pretty week year. The other two noms were Traffic and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I liked things about all these films but didn't think most of them were nomination worthy. Gladiator was the one I enjoyed the most out of the bunch slightly edging out CTHD. Traffic and EB were both fairly uninteresting IMO.

Kind of like this year where EVERY best picture nom didn't deserve it but I digress.....
Old 06-23-09, 08:13 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I kinda saw it as Forrest and Gladiator as Paramounts big money-makers. So they end up as part of the "Sappire Series". Yeesh.....Well I'm glad at least that Paramount has moved past the "Widescreen Collection" banner they had on so many DVD's.

I'd love to see Chinatown and so many other pre-90's titles, but my guess is that those braniacs at Paramount Home Entertainment are seeing it fit to release the ones that'll bring in the biggest revenue first. I don't see Chinatown doing that unfortunately, save for those who dig the classics.
Old 06-23-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Traffic is what I would have chosen. It's the movie that won Director, Editing, Screenplay, and Supporting Actor.

Strange that a movie that was the best directed, edited, and written somehow wasn't enough to win the top prize.
The directors wing seems to do better IMHO than the Best Picture voters. They were the ones that gave it to Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare in Love, Traffic over Gladiator, The Pianist over Chicago, Brokeback Mountain over Crash, etc.
Old 06-23-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
The directors wing seems to do better IMHO than the Best Picture voters. They were the ones that gave it to Saving Private Ryan over Shakespeare in Love, Traffic over Gladiator, The Pianist over Chicago, Brokeback Mountain over Crash, etc.

I'll just say that my appreciation of Traffic dropped a lot when I saw Traffik (the British TV miniseries).

I don't think you'll see this level of excitement if and when Universal finally announces Traffic on BD. [Actually it is available in Canada and nobody seems to care.]
Old 06-23-09, 10:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
In for Maximus and Wallace
and Gromit

sounds like the blu of Braveheart dropped the commentary - not that I'd miss it though.
Old 06-23-09, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll just say that my appreciation of Traffic dropped a lot when I saw Traffik (the British TV miniseries).

I don't think you'll see this level of excitement if and when Universal finally announces Traffic on BD. [Actually it is available in Canada and nobody seems to care.]
As long as the BD demographic is dominated by young males, you won't see any excitement for any movie that isn't action or sci-fi/fantasy.
Old 06-23-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
It was the first thing I thought of. Blue gems.
Oh I think most of the people here know what sapphire is. I'm talking about the Blu-ray demographic on the whole.
Old 06-23-09, 11:38 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by abrg923
um...they JUST announced this wave...pretty sure that means they haven't announced the next wave yet.

So tired of random speculation being passed around as fact around here.. Seems especially rampant in the HD forum.
Cause I know what the possible titles are for the next wave. The first is a very simple guess as its a huge Paramount title that should have came out last month to tie-in to a film but was delayed and the other is a wanted title that's never even been hinted at on Blu but the person involved is getting pretty damn popular. And I hope that last one comes out because it means his other work will arrive as well. None of these will likely be announced until the first wave hits.
Old 06-23-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm up for all three releases.
Old 06-23-09, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Cause I know what the possible titles are for the next wave. The first is a very simple guess as its a huge Paramount title that should have came out last month to tie-in to a film but was delayed and the other is a wanted title that's never even been hinted at on Blu but the person involved is getting pretty damn popular. And I hope that last one comes out because it means his other work will arrive as well. None of these will likely be announced until the first wave hits.
The first is a Star Trek, right?

have no clue what the 2nd could be
Old 06-23-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you give us a better hint what the second one is?
Old 06-23-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by anomynous
The first is a Star Trek, right?

have no clue what the 2nd could be
I thought he meant Titanic for the first, but I have no idea what the second is.
Old 06-23-09, 01:41 PM

Titanic also makes sense, I just assumed Star Trek because it's obvious

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.