Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Old 06-23-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Originally Posted by anomynous View Post
Titanic also makes sense, I just assumed Star Trek because it's obvious
I'm not sure what recent release Titanic would tie in with.

... I guess Land of the Lost also sank to the bottom of the ocean.
Old 06-23-09, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Paramount Announces Sapphire Series (BD) -- Braveheart, Gladiator, Forrest Gump

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN View Post
I thought he meant Titanic for the first, but I have no idea what the second is.
But what would've been the tie-in movie for it? Am thinking a Spielberg title for the last...
Old 06-23-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Leo/Kate starred in Titanic. Leo/Kate starred in Revolutionary Road.
Old 06-23-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My bad on the first - it was a tie-in to something that came out this month but was delayed. It does make better sense to release it in Q4 (if they do) for sales. It's a movie I would never, ever want to see again. The second one (the one I would open up my wallet for and pay whatever price) is hopefully a sure thing. I can finally retire my old DVD. I hope to hear more soon...but everyone's very hush hush right now which is kind of unusual.

Its a shame overall because the Sapphire line will do big sales just because of the titles involved - its just the $10 premium will hurt potential new buyers who may shy away from them. Hopefully they include $10 rebates as well.
Old 06-23-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Leo/Kate starred in Titanic. Leo/Kate starred in Revolutionary Road.
Someone made the connection

Its been rumored and delayed so much that a Sapphire release makes perfect sense as its a big Paramount catalog title. Wonder how many more titles Paramount has they could put in the Sapphire line before they really start grasping at straws?
Old 06-23-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
It's a movie I would never, ever want to see again.
I thought Transformers was already out...
Old 06-23-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The fancy name and (likely) slip cover means Paramount can charge $39.99 MSRP for the catalog films vs the standard $29.99 MSRP that they've been doing. More are in the works as well (Tis a Beauty that is Sinking) and I will continue to pass on them because I refuse to pay (the cheapest) $27 on release week for a catalog title. I just finally grabbed Ferris Bueller and Saturday Night Fever when they were $15 which is my max now for a catalog flick.

I know we'll get the people "who pays MSRP for catalog flicks lolz", but once again, Best Buy is the #1 HD retailer and they will slap a $34.99 sticker on these and that's what consumers will see - not the $27ish on Amazon. As much as I'd like to add Gump to my collection I won't be for $27.
I thought this made it obvious.
Old 06-23-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder how many more titles Paramount has they could put in the Sapphire line before they really start grasping at straws?
I think that'll depend on exactly how they want to pitch the line in the future. Is this line 'award-winning recent megahits'? Is it 'timeless classics'? Is it 'most-wanted video favorites'? The initial line-up could suggest any of those directions.
Old 06-23-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I think that'll depend on exactly how they want to pitch the line in the future. Is this line 'award-winning recent megahits'? Is it 'timeless classics'? Is it 'most-wanted video favorites'? The initial line-up could suggest any of those directions.
Yeah, suppose so. I'd say Braveheart and Gump are "big" films, but Gladiator was kinda meh. I'd have to scour Paramount catalog to see what they have to offer. But I have a feeling they are just slapping a slip cover on these and calling them special. I don't see any more work then what they are currently doing for their catalog titles besides porting over the DVD extras and maybe a few new features.
Old 06-23-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Considering they are not only including Paramount films, but also Dreamworks films in this series (which Gladiator is), I think a very likely candidate for this series would be AMERICAN BEAUTY....

Think about it.....another multiple Academy Award winning film, including Best Picture....I'd go for a nice shiny BD release of that one....

Maybe we could also get a US BD release of ALMOST FAMOUS in this series as well....I know I'd definitely pick that one up too!
Old 06-23-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd say Braveheart and Gump are "big" films, but Gladiator was kinda meh. I'd have to scour Paramount catalog to see what they have to offer. But I have a feeling they are just slapping a slip cover on these and calling them special.
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?*

*Sorry- had to.
Old 06-23-09, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After some thought, my guesses for other Paramount/Dreamworks titles to get this Sapphire distinction would be as follow:

OBVIOUS
Titanic
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now

POSSIBLE
American Beauty
Almost Famous
Road to Perdition
Chinatown
Once Upon A Time In The West
Minority Report

UNLIKELY BUT STILL PRESTIGIOUS
Ordinary People
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Conversation
Catch Me If You Can

This is based on the assumption that the series is based on big, broad, popular titles that can be maximized for BD based on PQ, AQ and interactive/exclusive special features. Just a few guesses.
Old 06-23-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only part about the second title that makes me think it wouldn't be Spielberg is that he said the guy is getting pretty popular. That implies someone on the rise. Spielberg is already very popular, and his popularity isn't increasing from what I can tell. If anything, it could be slightly decreasing due to the reception to Indiana Jones 4.
Old 06-23-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Skoobooz View Post
After some thought, my guesses for other Paramount/Dreamworks titles to get this Sapphire distinction would be as follow:

OBVIOUS
Titanic
Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse Now

POSSIBLE
American Beauty
Almost Famous
Road to Perdition
Chinatown
Once Upon A Time In The West
Minority Report

UNLIKELY BUT STILL PRESTIGIOUS
Ordinary People
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Conversation
Catch Me If You Can

This is based on the assumption that the series is based on big, broad, popular titles that can be maximized for BD based on PQ, AQ and interactive/exclusive special features. Just a few guesses.
I'd buy 3 of those movies...and already have one on Blu-ray as-is (Almost Famous).
Old 06-23-09, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd buy 3 of those movies...
I'd buy 3 of them, too... but $10 says it wouldn't be the same 3.
Old 06-23-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
I'd buy 3 of them, too... but $10 says it wouldn't be the same 3.
Probably not. Very few of those have any replay value with me. I'd gladly buy Almost Famous, American Beauty and likely Chinatown. First two are guaranteed even though I already own one of them.
Old 06-23-09, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
The only part about the second title that makes me think it wouldn't be Spielberg is that he said the guy is getting pretty popular.
That was his second clue, the third one (last one) could be Spielberg.
Old 06-23-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm probably in for Galdiator and Braveheart. Gump I'd wait until a used copy came along. It's not that I didn't like the movie, I just have the SE that I've seen a grand total of once and I know I'll watch the BR once and let it collect dust.
Old 06-23-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
That was his second clue, the third one (last one) could be Spielberg.
Okay, I thought he meant two titles because he said "the first... and the other..."
Old 06-23-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they opted for classic titles, The African Queen would be an obvious choice, when it's finally released.
Old 06-23-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
If they opted for classic titles, The African Queen would be an obvious choice, when it's finally released.
Found my (ancient) VHS copy of that last month. Would love to see that cleaned up.
Old 06-23-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm a bit surprised Titanic was not announced in the first wave. I'd rather sit through Troll 2 than watch Titanic ever again (well, until the last 30 or so odd minutes were stuff actually happens). It should look very pretty in a Sapphire slip cover though.

And while were on it, Disney has the Platinum and now Diamond line and Paramount has Sapphire. Cute guys, cute.
Old 06-23-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And while were on it, Disney has the Platinum and now Diamond line and Paramount has Sapphire. Cute guys, cute.
If HD DVD had won the format war, we'd have RUBY.....

Disney also had a "Gold Collection" back in the earlier days of DVD.....

Warner releases without lossless audio = the "Cubic Zirconia" collection!
Old 06-23-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, suppose so. I'd say Braveheart and Gump are "big" films, but Gladiator was kinda meh. I'd have to scour Paramount catalog to see what they have to offer. But I have a feeling they are just slapping a slip cover on these and calling them special. I don't see any more work then what they are currently doing for their catalog titles besides porting over the DVD extras and maybe a few new features.
Again, maybe when the reviews are out it will be different, but I think this is pessimistic. The press release says two hours of new features on Gladiator. Two hours is not "a few new features". Even an hour is not "a few new features". I'm not NECESSARILY saying it justifies a $10 price hike (the features still obviously need to be good, which is a case-by-case basis), but most of the other Paramounts I've seen have just ported the features and that's it.

Additionally, I just bought a ton of Paramounts in 2-packs at Wal-Mart, so most of Paramount's catalogs can be had at $10 after a few months. I bet these are $25.99 on release week and $29.99 during.
Old 06-23-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cause I know what the possible titles are for the next wave. The first is a very simple guess as its a huge Paramount title that should have came out last month to tie-in to a film but was delayed and the other is a wanted title that's never even been hinted at on Blu but the person involved is getting pretty damn popular. And I hope that last one comes out because it means his other work will arrive as well. None of these will likely be announced until the first wave hits.
So enough with the guessing game...what are they, and how do you know?

Last edited by argh923; 06-23-09 at 09:11 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.