Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Major catalog titles from Disney, Paramount, Fox, Univeral delayed into 2010...

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Major catalog titles from Disney, Paramount, Fox, Univeral delayed into 2010...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-09, 04:41 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Major catalog titles from Disney, Paramount, Fox, Univeral delayed into 2010...

Originally Posted by AmityBoatTours
thats odd my earlier post is not here.
well like i said earlier the op fails to mention that these were never OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED FOR 2009 in the first place only rumored.
the only one that was announced was monsters inc.

this to me just seems more of the same from a person who is always saying bluray is in trouble, be it cause disney has a certain number of catalog titles or any number of reasons that is given
I'm going to say this as nice as possible - just stop. I own several Blu-ray players. I own several hundred Blu-ray films. I've been here on HDTalk since HD DVD and Blu-ray launched. I've been supporting both formats for years. You need to cut out pointing the finger at me because I don't feel Blu-ray is 100% perfect. It's not. I don't think anyone on this forum thinks that. It has many walls to cross before it becomes DVD. Blu-ray has succeeded where I thought it would have failed by now. 2.0 is here. Stand alones (for the most part) rock. Now, we have issues with studios upping pricing, adding DNR/EE, delaying titles, removing special features and just plain ol' fucking up. If you are vocal, you get heard. We've been heard many times in regard to pricing, misframed films, shitty packaging etc. If we all just 'took it' as it is, we would have a pretty shitty format by now. I've participated in many discussions where I have stated how great a movie looks or how awesome a package is. But ya know, sometimes things just arn't shiny and perfect. And when they are not, we can have a discussion on it. Discussion. I'm not posting "blu-ray sucks. shitty sucks". I explain why I am not pleased. I would hope you do as well.

Now, in regards to "they have never been announced" non-sense, if you read around enough, they have been strongly rumored many, many times this year. One website and one forum in particular heavily emphasized these were coming in 2009 by making such bold statements like (not verbatim) "looking awesome", "tossed out the old transfers for dazzling new ones", "special features are great" and other BS. Maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't be opening their mouths about these great titles if they studios want that information to be kept a secret. I know of a handful of great titles that will be announced shortly but don't make mention of them. Some I will if it pertains to the subject at hand (Friday the 13th), but I don't make forum threads saying "Uni is prepping BTTF for a release".

And, finally, if you don't like what I post, IGNORE me. It's a very simple process.

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-19-09 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-19-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Major catalog titles from Disney, Paramount, Fox, Univeral delayed into 2010...

No, pushing back Monsters Inc. is unacceptable. It's already advertised on A Bug's Life as being out on Blu-ray now.
Old 06-19-09, 04:58 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
No, pushing back Monsters Inc. is unacceptable. It's already advertised on A Bug's Life as being out on Blu-ray now.
It is - in Japan .
Old 06-19-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry thats just the impression i get from the majority of your posts, if thats not the case then i apologize. but you have to admit a headline for thread that states major catalog titles from disney, paramount,fox and universal delayed into 2010" when they were never even announced by those studios to begin with does seem like an attempt to make it look like bluray is introuble.
and while they may have been strongly rumored, STRONGLY RUMORED is not An announcement now is it?

i have no need to ignore you, i do read what you say on here (as you are one of the more frequent posters) and i have every right to disagree with your assesment in discussing it on here.(which by the way i do with out the use of foul language)

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'm going to say this as nice as possible - just stop. I own several Blu-ray players. I own several hundred Blu-ray films. I've been here on HDTalk since HD DVD and Blu-ray launched. I've been supporting both formats for years. You need to cut out pointing the finger at me because I don't feel Blu-ray is 100% perfect. It's not. I don't think anyone on this forum thinks that. It has many walls to cross before it becomes DVD. Blu-ray has succeeded where I thought it would have failed by now. 2.0 is here. Stand alones (for the most part) rock. Now, we have issues with studios upping pricing, adding DNR/EE, delaying titles, removing special features and just plain ol' fucking up. If you are vocal, you get heard. We've been heard many times in regard to pricing, misframed films, shitty packaging etc. If we all just 'took it' as it is, we would have a pretty shitty format by now. I've participated in many discussions where I have stated how great a movie looks or how awesome a package is. But ya know, sometimes things just arn't shiny and perfect. And when they are not, we can have a discussion on it. Discussion. I'm not posting "blu-ray sucks. shitty sucks". I explain why I am not pleased. I would hope you do as well.

Now, in regards to "they have never been announced" non-sense, if you read around enough, they have been strongly rumored many, many times this year. One website and one forum in particular heavily emphasized these were coming in 2009 by making such bold statements like (not verbatim) "looking awesome", "tossed out the old transfers for dazzling new ones", "special features are great" and other BS. Maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't be opening their mouths about these great titles if they studios want that information to be kept a secret. I know of a handful of great titles that will be announced shortly but don't make mention of them. Some I will if it pertains to the subject at hand (Friday the 13th), but I don't make forum threads saying "Uni is prepping BTTF for a release".

And, finally, if you don't like what I post, IGNORE me. It's a very simple process.
Old 06-19-09, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

sorry thats just the impression i get from the majority of your posts, if thats not the case then i apologize. but you have to admit a headline for thread that states major catalog titles from disney, paramount,fox and universal delayed into 2010" when they were never even announced by those studios to begin with does seem like an attempt to make it look like bluray is introuble.
and while they may have been strongly rumored, STRONGLY RUMORED is not An announcement now is it?

i have no need to ignore you, i do read what you say on here (as you are one of the more frequent posters) and i have every right to disagree with your assesment in discussing it on here.(which by the way i do with out the use of foul language)
But what Gizmo posted isn't a knock on Blu-Ray itself but rather the studios that are dropping the ball. At least we should be getting Monsters Inc. this year as well as a handful of the other titles mentioned but it doesn't seem like they want to get them out there. I can understand holding certain titles back for specific reasons but there are an awful lot of good ones there that we should be seeing sooner than later. Hasn't The Goonies already been released elsewhere on Blu-Ray? If it has then why should we have to wait so damn long to get it? Just so you can tie it into a 25th anniversary? Is that really going to matter to the average consumer? Oh shit it has been 25 years! I better rush out and get a copy of that movie on Blu-Ray nonetheless.
Old 06-19-09, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Yes - I am letting this forum know, which is actually one of the best forums to be on in terms of users not being total fanboys, about big titles being delayed. Most of us keep up to date with news and rumors so this is actually relative news to us.

You have every right to disagree with me, but I will always respond back I didn't even question how you remember how Ghostbusters looked in Theaters 25 years ago (I can't even remember what I ate Wednesday for dinner)...but it sure was tempting

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-19-09 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-19-09, 05:46 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
But what Gizmo posted isn't a knock on Blu-Ray itself but rather the studios that are dropping the ball. At least we should be getting Monsters Inc. this year as well as a handful of the other titles mentioned but it doesn't seem like they want to get them out there. I can understand holding certain titles back for specific reasons but there are an awful lot of good ones there that we should be seeing sooner than later. Hasn't The Goonies already been released elsewhere on Blu-Ray? If it has then why should we have to wait so damn long to get it? Just so you can tie it into a 25th anniversary? Is that really going to matter to the average consumer? Oh shit it has been 25 years! I better rush out and get a copy of that movie on Blu-Ray nonetheless.
Goonies is available in the UK (and rather cheap, $18ish). Solid transfer, TrueHD and Special Features. Got mine last October and love it.

Consumers don't care if you call it 25th Anniversary and its the 24th. Its just a lame excuse. 25th can be production for all I care. Same goes for ANOES which I got last year from Canada.
Old 06-19-09, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Outside of Monsters Inc, I'm not surprised to see these titles coming out next year. As was stated, none of these were official announcements, and both Fantasias were always slated for 2010 anyway.
Old 06-19-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking at HD Digest's release list, it looks like Disney has released 18 titles in 2009. I'm glad the other studios are picking up the slack.
Old 06-19-09, 05:54 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Looking at HD Digest's release list, it looks like Disney has released 18 titles in 2009. I'm glad the other studios are picking up the slack.
You don't want to know how many were delayed and/or dropped off the TBA per quarter release list I have seen.
Old 06-19-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

The stated reasons for delaying these titles are p.r. at best. The real reason that official sources will not tell you, and that includes places like the Digital Bits which rely exclusively on insider access to the studios, is the studios are purposely holding these titles back to get past the hump of another Christmas season. The installed player base for Blu-ray will grow immensely over the fourth quarter and these studios want to capture as many sales as possible for their better catalog titles. It is a rational business decision independently made by each studio.
Old 06-19-09, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
What's sad is this type of marketing works for the studios and this is why they continue to do it. The lift in sales justifies their methods. I certainly don't care about it but it does generate added sales.
Old 06-19-09, 07:17 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The stated reasons for delaying these titles are p.r. at best. The real reason that official sources will not tell you, and that includes places like the Digital Bits which rely exclusively on insider access to the studios, is the studios are purposely holding these titles back to get past the hump of another Christmas season. The installed player base for Blu-ray will grow immensely over the fourth quarter and these studios want to capture as many sales as possible for their better catalog titles. It is a rational business decision independently made by each studio.
Lack of big catalog titles in Q4 will hurt this year.
Old 06-19-09, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't want to know how many were delayed and/or dropped off the TBA per quarter release list I have seen.
Seems like they're continuing that trend into next year.
Old 06-20-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Meh. Not a huge deal to me I guess. The only titles I really care about getting off that list are the Back to the Future trilogy, Toy Story 1 and 2, and Beauty and the Beast.
Old 06-20-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Then that decision is backfiring because I am one of those people that will not buy a BluRay Player until I see many of the 'A' titles released.

I think this reasoning worked for DVD because it was such an upgrade from VHS, everyone was going to buy a DVD Player once it became the norm. BluRay is still a niche, and a niche market needs some type of hook to the average consumer to get them to buy into it. I still don't know anyone who has a BluRay player, and if you have alot more 'A' titles out there, the average consumer will be more apt to delve into the new format.
Old 06-21-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Then that decision is backfiring because I am one of those people that will not buy a BluRay Player until I see many of the 'A' titles released.

I think this reasoning worked for DVD because it was such an upgrade from VHS, everyone was going to buy a DVD Player once it became the norm. BluRay is still a niche, and a niche market needs some type of hook to the average consumer to get them to buy into it. I still don't know anyone who has a BluRay player, and if you have alot more 'A' titles out there, the average consumer will be more apt to delve into the new format.
Of course "A" list titles are a matter of opinion. Two of my top five are out on Blu-ray Disc and five of my top ten.

While it is true that some very popular mainstream catalog titles have yet to make it to Blu-ray Disc, most recent movies of that sort are coming out on BD at the same time as the DVD. And recent stuff tends to sell better than catalog titles.

It is true that the longer you wait to go blu the cheaper players get and the greater the number of titles available. But, at what point is the selection of titles enough? For most of us here, there are plenty of BDs to enjoy right now, even while we wait for older favorites to make it to the format.

Blu-ray Disc may still be a "niche" compared to DVD, but it strikes me as improbable that the current selection of titles available is a major reason why most people haven't yet bought into the format. You would appear to be an exception.
Old 06-21-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Sucks to see a lot of good titles being delayed. But as others have mentioned, my wallet breathes a sign of relief.
Old 06-21-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Lack of big catalog titles in Q4 will hurt this year.
It may, but it's not as if DVD got all the goods up front either. I mean, I remember how big a deal it was when Jurassic Park finally got released, the Star Wars trilogy, the Indiana Jones trilogy, and pretty much every platinum Disney title. It's a good sign though, they're prepping for the future of the format, and perhaps Blu-ray is doing well enough where they don't need the titles to hit shelves as soon as they thought they would. There's plenty of good stuff coming out from now until the end of the year, and months like September are going to be stupid expensive for me. I can deal. I just wish Monsters Inc. wasn't getting delayed.
Old 06-21-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bummed about Chinatown and the Alien Quadrilogy... but relieved for my bank account.

There are still a few things to look forward to- Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown in August...I've heard some Spielberg titles are coming, apparently Punch-Drunk Love is coming and I'm still holding out completely unfounded and delusional hope for Boogie Nights.
Old 06-22-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My wallet thanks them.

and then I shoot my wallet cause that motherfucker talked.
Old 07-07-09, 12:27 PM

The other side of the coin, though, is that titles like Star Wars and Indy could move millions of BD players over the holiday season.

I also wonder if part of this doesn't have to do with the new factories for manufacturing Blu-Ray discs coming on line in the near future. They've advertised this as though BD prices will be coming down, but a more likely scenario is that BD prices will stay nearly the same for new releases and profit margins will go way up. If I'm a studio, I'm selling as many catalog titles as possible this holiday season and then putting out my major titles once these new factories are going so I make more $$ per unit on my bigger sellers.

As for coinciding with anniversaries, that sounds like an excuse. We all know the studios would be more than happy to put out a bare-bones disc now only to replace it with an "anniversary edition" with special features in a year.

I just hope this isn't a sign that the studios don't feel BD is catching on, and won't (especially in this down economy)...
Old 07-09-09, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ignohippo
As for coinciding with anniversaries, that sounds like an excuse. We all know the studios would be more than happy to put out a bare-bones disc now only to replace it with an "anniversary edition" with special features in a year.
Sorry, but I just don't see this happening. How many double dips have their been on Blu-ray? Probably under 10 total.

A bare-bones disc is a DVD and an "anniversary edition" is a Blu-ray.

It's not like DVDs.
Old 07-09-09, 08:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Sorry, but I just don't see this happening. How many double dips have their been on Blu-ray? Probably under 10 total.

A bare-bones disc is a DVD and an "anniversary edition" is a Blu-ray.

It's not like DVDs.
Are we counting HD DVD ports?
Old 07-09-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Are we counting HD DVD ports?
Nope.

A double dip means both titles have to be on Blu-ray. Like Casino Royale or the upcoming 300.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.