DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Is the UK "Once" Blu-ray region locked? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/556813-uk-once-blu-ray-region-locked.html)

cartman 06-16-09 07:12 PM

Is the UK "Once" Blu-ray region locked?

I tried to find the answer on Amazon UK's site but could not :(. Anyone know if it's region locked?

Joe Molotov 06-16-09 07:28 PM

Re: Is the UK "Once" Blu-ray region locked?

Blu-Ray.com says no.

Overpar 06-16-09 09:14 PM

I've got it, it is not locked.

depooter 06-16-09 09:47 PM

I think it's a worthy upgrade over the U.S. DVD. It's also pretty cheap at Amazon UK.

GenPion 06-17-09 01:25 AM

It's not locked, and you can get it at an affordable price on Amazon.co.uk. I too agree that it is a worthy upgrade over the SD DVD. Just know that it is not an AMAZING Blu-ray, but I have no doubt it offers the film with the best image/sound it will ever have which makes it worthy indeed.

For one of my favorite films ever this release is indeed a must own. It even has better cover art with the proper theatrical artwork rather than the poorly photo-shopped US cover.

insanecollector 06-17-09 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by GenPion (Post 9508934)
It's not locked, and you can get it at an affordable price on Amazon.co.uk. I too agree that it is a worthy upgrade over the SD DVD. Just know that it is not an AMAZING Blu-ray, but I have no doubt it offers the film with the best image/sound it will ever have which makes it worthy indeed.

For one of my favorite films ever this release is indeed a must own. It even has better cover art with the proper theatrical artwork rather than the poorly photo-shopped US cover.

Ditto

Brent L 06-17-09 09:25 AM

Do the special features on it work on US players?

slop101 06-17-09 09:56 AM

Does it look good enough to be worth getting?
Wasn't the movie shot on 16mm? And wouldn't that make the blu-ray look just barely better than the dvd - more like an upconverted image than a true 1080 transfer from a 35mm film.

cartman 06-17-09 10:24 AM

As far as image quality is concerned, I saw it on one of the premium movie channels in HD and it looked great. Certainly not Pixar, but a ton better than the DVD. I wouldn't have even known it was available on Blu-ray if a member hadn't posted a pic of Pooh holding his copy in the HD collection photo thread :lol:.

kefrank 06-17-09 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9509298)
Does it look good enough to be worth getting?
Wasn't the movie shot on 16mm? And wouldn't that make the blu-ray look just barely better than the dvd - more like an upconverted image than a true 1080 transfer from a 35mm film.

No. Once was shot with a Sony HVR-Z1 hi-def (1080i) video camera and printed to 35mm.

slop101 06-17-09 12:31 PM

Okay. It's just that the dvd looks crazy grainy with low detail, as if it were from a 16mm dupe.

GenPion 06-17-09 01:52 PM

Like stated already, the Blu-ray should represent the best PQ/AQ this film will ever have. It is clearly better than the U.S. DVD in this regard and is a relatively small investment in terms of cost. I seriously doubt a U.S. release will ever be made available and for those looking for Once to receive the best treatment - here it is. Enjoy it.

Unfortunately, I do believe that I tried to watch the bonus features and was unable to do so on my PS3. So that should confirm extras as being in PAL format.

depooter 06-18-09 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9509252)
Do the special features on it work on US players?

Only the two audio commentaries are playable on u.s. bd players.

beebs 06-18-09 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by depooter (Post 9512067)
Only the two audio commentaries are playable on u.s. bd players.

Isn't this really a matter of your display not supporting PAL... as opposed to your BR player. I thought, most BR players simply play what's on the disc. Or do NA players (and PS3) not play PAL content at all?

Brent L 06-18-09 05:53 PM

I'm pretty sure the PS3 doesn't support any PAL content. When you click on an extra that's in PAL it either doesn't do anything, loads back to the main menu, or something else like that.

beebs 06-20-09 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L (Post 9512213)
I'm pretty sure the PS3 doesn't support any PAL content. When you click on an extra that's in PAL it either doesn't do anything, loads back to the main menu, or something else like that.

But couldn't this be because your display doesn't support PAL? PS3 using HDMI would know what formats your display can accept, and simply acts as you've described when you select incompatible content.

Anyone know for real what's up with these extras?

kefrank 06-20-09 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by beebs (Post 9515562)
But couldn't this be because your display doesn't support PAL? PS3 using HDMI would know what formats your display can accept, and simply acts as you've described when you select incompatible content.

Anyone know for real what's up with these extras?

No, the player has to be able to do PAL output and the U.S. PS3 can't. My projector accepts/displays PAL, but the PS3 can't play PAL DVDs (region 0, so it's not the region coding).

emachine12 06-20-09 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 9515840)
No, the player has to be able to do PAL output and the U.S. PS3 can't. My projector accepts/displays PAL, but the PS3 can't play PAL DVDs (region 0, so it's not the region coding).

Yep, my Sony LCD panel also supports PAL but my US PS3 only offers 480i/p, 720i/p, and 1080i/p output. So I can't view the extras on my Tristan & Isolde or I'm A Cyborg imports. Oddly, this was not a problem with HD DVD...all the extras from my imports that were in PAL work just fine.

beebs 06-22-09 10:15 AM

Looks like the PS3 isn't the best BR player sometimes.

kefrank 06-22-09 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by beebs (Post 9517504)
Looks like the PS3 isn't the best BR player sometimes.

It's not just the PS3. Almost none of the U.S. stock standalones can output PAL.