Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon / Curse of the Golden Flower / House of Flying Daggers

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon / Curse of the Golden Flower / House of Flying Daggers

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon / Curse of the Golden Flower / House of Flying Dagg

Kind of weird to have CTHD clumped with CotGF and HoFD. Enjoyed all 3 but CTHD was easily my favorite (well above Hero as well.)

Also weird it's packed with two previously released movies.
Old 07-15-09, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon / Curse of the Golden Flower / House of Flying Dagg

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Transfers get high marks.
House of Flying Daggers, whose previous standalone release got poor marks, also got poor marks here. I assume it's the same transfer as before.
Old 07-15-09, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I don't think HoFD will every look substantially better. Limitations of the intentionally worn master, unless they go in and do a complete overhaul, but you'd still have people bitching that it isn't true to the director's vision.
Old 07-17-09, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn. When will Crouching Tiger be a solo release? I really hate when these things get bundled w/out the option of buying alone. Really sucks. And Hero... man, I want that in HD. That movie was made for Blu-ray.
Old 07-17-09, 06:32 AM

It's currently $40 on Amazon.
Old 07-17-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Damn. When will Crouching Tiger be a solo release? I really hate when these things get bundled w/out the option of buying alone. Really sucks. And Hero... man, I want that in HD. That movie was made for Blu-ray.
You can get CTHD from Amazon UK, as others mentioned above:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crouching-Ti...7862242&sr=1-1

Ł12.68 plus Ł3.08 shipping = Ł15.76 (~$26.82).

It is likely to be released individually in the US eventually, probably fairly soon, so I'll just wait for that.
Old 07-17-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone actually have this set and formed their own opinion? Also, is there any hi-def sound on these?
Old 07-18-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jarofclay73
Anyone actually have this set and formed their own opinion? Also, is there any hi-def sound on these?
Crouching Tiger has Dolby TrueHD 5.1. The other two movies are identical to their initial Blu-ray releases. Both have PCM 5.1.
Old 07-19-09, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lizard
You can get CTHD from Amazon UK, as others mentioned above:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crouching-Ti...7862242&sr=1-1

Ł12.68 plus Ł3.08 shipping = Ł15.76 (~$26.82).

It is likely to be released individually in the US eventually, probably fairly soon, so I'll just wait for that.
Thanks, yeah, I saw that earlier. Bit too pricey for me. I'll wait and see what happens in the U.S. down the road.
Old 07-26-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Crouching Tiger has Dolby TrueHD 5.1. The other two movies are identical to their initial Blu-ray releases. Both have PCM 5.1.
According to the review on Hi Def Digest, the subtitles have been changed from the previous DVD release (which were the theatrical subtitles) to an inferior one.
I don't know why Sony would bother changing it to an inferior one since they had released this movie with the theatrical subtitles.
Old 07-27-09, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Thanks, yeah, I saw that earlier. Bit too pricey for me. I'll wait and see what happens in the U.S. down the road.
It's also too pricey for me too.
Old 07-27-09, 02:55 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes, regardless of how badly I want it, it is a bit pricey for me. IPMan was my big import splurge for the year. That's about as far as I go.
Old 07-27-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
According to the review on Hi Def Digest, the subtitles have been changed from the previous DVD release (which were the theatrical subtitles) to an inferior one.
I don't know why Sony would bother changing it to an inferior one since they had released this movie with the theatrical subtitles.
That's disappointing... for being one of their premier titles they sure did a mediocre job with this one. I'll be waiting till it's available separately anyways...
Old 07-28-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Doesn't my old Superbit also have the non-theatrical subs?

Was there ever a release that featured the theatrical subs?
Old 07-29-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

The Superbit DVD has the theatrical subtitles. I believe some pressings of the non-Superbit DVD had these current subs.
Old 07-29-09, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
That's disappointing. It doesn't seem likely that CTHD will ever get another BD release, so the poor subtitles aren't likely to be fixed. I guess I'm glad I never got around to selling the Superbit DVD.

The subtitles were also screwed up on the Amélie DVD — distributed by Miramax/Disney — with numerous mistakes, some of which completely changed the meaning. I am baffled as to why the studios do such a slapdash job with subtitles. What were they thinking?

Last edited by lizard; 07-29-09 at 05:01 PM.