DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/556113-criterion-collection-4k-blu-ray-discussion-release-thread.html)

macnorton 05-17-09 08:48 AM

The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

MOD NOTE: Splitting off from the first Criterion thread...<hr>

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9447853)
Sheesh, and you gave another forum member grief for being a Polanski fan and never having seen Repulsion. :)

Karma can be swift sometimes can't it?

Anyways, Criterionn is making a serious effort to put out some kick ass Blu's. I am impressed so far.

Question to other members, has anyone trade in their SD with the buy back program?

CardiffGiant 05-17-09 11:40 AM

Re: Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Originally Posted by macnorton (Post 9449202)
Question to other members, has anyone trade in their SD with the buy back program?

I would be surprised if anyone has. It is $25 ($20 + $5 shipping and handling) and the DVD to get the Blu-ray. Or, you could just go to Amazon and pick up the Blu-ray for the same amount (or cheaper: "The 400 Blows").

I think that Criterion has the right idea, but at the current prices, it doesn't make very much sense.

Trevor 05-17-09 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by CardiffGiant (Post 9449364)
I would be surprised if anyone has. It is $25 ($20 + $5 shipping and handling) and the DVD to get the Blu-ray. Or, you could just go to Amazon and pick up the Blu-ray for the same amount (or cheaper: "The 400 Blows").

I think that Criterion has the right idea, but at the current prices, it doesn't make very much sense.

Well, at least the shipping charge is once per order, and you get to keep the DVD packaging/booklet. But then, they don't even send you the blu-ray packaging, just the bare disc.

Trying to imagine a scenario where it makes any sense at all, and can't quite come up with one. Maybe once they have really high price multi-disc blu releases?

Doctorossi 05-18-09 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9447853)
Sheesh, and you gave another forum member grief for being a Polanski fan and never having seen Repulsion. :)

Touche, I suppose, although I would say Repulsion is much more popularly considered essential to Polanski's ouvre than Playtime is to Tati's.

Giles 05-18-09 09:10 AM

[passes out] ... Playtime in blu... [passes out on floor again]

Doctorossi 05-21-09 03:15 PM

I just got my first disc in the new packaging. It looks ace and I'm pleased with the sturdy build quality, but I must say, it feels like a step backward otherwise. Two of my favorite aspects of standard Blu-ray packaging are AWOL here: the thinner case profile and, more importantly, the plastic lip separating the label sticker from the permanent packaging materials. I love that, with standard-packaged BDs, I don't ever have to worry about the label stickers tearing the paper covers (or distorting the soft transparent cover plastic) like they did on DVDs. With the Criterion discs, I do.

Oh, well. The world has bigger problems. Just seems to me like it would've been better if they'd saved the extra costs and just used the standard packaging like everyone else. Too bad.

HumanMedia 05-21-09 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 9450371)
Touche, I suppose, although I would say Repulsion is much more popularly considered essential to Polanski's ouvre than Playtime is to Tati's.

I would say the exact opposite...

Mr. Cinema 05-21-09 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doctorossi (Post 9458539)
I just got my first disc in the new packaging. It looks ace and I'm pleased with the sturdy build quality, but I must say, it feels like a step backward otherwise. Two of my favorite aspects of standard Blu-ray packaging are AWOL here: the thinner case profile and, more importantly, the plastic lip separating the label sticker from the permanent packaging materials. I love that, with standard-packaged BDs, I don't ever have to worry about the label stickers tearing the paper covers (or distorting the soft transparent cover plastic) like they did on DVDs. With the Criterion discs, I do.

Oh, well. The world has bigger problems. Just seems to me like it would've been better if they'd saved the extra costs and just used the standard packaging like everyone else. Too bad.

The only time I worry about the cover tearing in a standard BD case is with LionsGate titles. They still use a bottom security sticker on certain releases. Lately on day & date titles, they have gotten rid of it. But there was 3 on the new T2 release. Luckily, my cover wasn't damaged at all.

So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case? I thought maybe they'd be the same size as the regular BD case, only clear.

Doctorossi 05-21-09 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9458897)
So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case?

I don't know. I've never examined a PS3 game case in the flesh. The Criterion cases are made by Scanovo, however, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're a stock item (ie. a PS3 game case).

Drexl 05-21-09 09:01 PM

If you happen to have a UK BD, that case is close to the same width as a PS3 game case, with the PS3 case being maybe a millimeter thicker.

DaveyJoe 05-22-09 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema (Post 9458897)
So are these clear cases 100% identical to the height/width of a PS3 game case? I thought maybe they'd be the same size as the regular BD case, only clear.

Hello, I'm a long time lurker and figured I'd finally get around to registering to answer this. I help up my In the Realm of the Senses next to some of my PS3 cases and yes they do appear to be the same size and depth. The only difference is that the Criterion Blu doesn't have the plastic lip mentioned earlier, which allows for a larger cover slip.

bluetoast 05-26-09 12:56 PM

Kagemusha and Playtime are now up for pre-order at Amazon.

Giles 05-26-09 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 9466447)
Kagemusha and Playtime are now up for pre-order at Amazon.

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...

abintra 05-30-09 02:28 AM

Guess Howard's End was the most voted for title in Amazon's Criterion poll (though with the quick turn around time, each probably had already been in the pipeline).

Release Lists

Some new un-dated releases have surfaced including X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Howard's End, estimated to arrive late September and October respectively.

NoirFan 05-30-09 09:55 AM

That's a pity.

PopcornTreeCt 05-30-09 03:07 PM

Boo.

It was never even Criterion worthy.

scrimshaw 05-31-09 01:13 AM

Wow, that's the title I wanted least of all. I guess senior citizens have discovered how to use the internet.

NoirFan 06-02-09 06:58 PM

Pro-B's review of The Seventh Seal from blu-ray.com. Looks spectacular!

HumanMedia 06-02-09 07:50 PM

oops wrong discussion soz

NoirFan 06-02-09 07:58 PM

From Criterion?

I sincerely doubt it.

Sessa17 06-03-09 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by abintra (Post 9474479)
Guess Howard's End was the most voted for title in Amazon's Criterion poll (though with the quick turn around time, each probably had already been in the pipeline).

Release Lists

Look at my post in that thread for the poll, I said it would definitely win the poll simply b/c it was the only movie that everyone had heard of. What a shame.

HumanMedia 06-03-09 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by abintra (Post 9474479)

Release Lists

Not so fast, if you follow that link to the Howards End preorder, the studio is listed as Merchant Ivory. Maybe that release is coming through the normal channels not Criterion???

HumanMedia 06-04-09 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by HumanMedia (Post 9484285)
Not so fast, if you follow that link to the Howards End preorder, the studio is listed as Merchant Ivory. Maybe that release is coming through the normal channels not Criterion???

Nope I was wrong. It is the Criterion release.

"Last month, we offered customers the unique opportunity to vote for the next Blu-ray release from the Criterion Collection. We're excited to announce that "Howard's End [Blu-ray]" is the winning title and will be released from the Criterion Collection later this year. Why wait? You can pre-order "Howard's End- Criterion Collection [Blu-ray]" from Amazon.com today."

Source: Amazon (e)mailout.

indiephantom 06-04-09 09:13 AM

re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

I still really want Walkabout. Imagine that film on blu. Beautiful.

Doctorossi 06-04-09 09:15 AM

re: The Criterion Collection 4K/Blu-ray Discussion and Release Thread

Originally Posted by indiephantom (Post 9485105)
I still really want Walkabout. Imagine that film on blu. Beautiful.

Hey- look at you, posting my words! :D It's gonna be an absolute stunner and it's at the top of my list of the stuff I know Criterion is working on, presently.